Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Scapes CritiqueMilford Duck Pond Waterfall

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Milford Duck Pond Waterfall

Post by Duck » Mon May 27, 2019 3:56 am

At the beginning of the month I participated in a dusk/night photo shoot with my local photo store (I was there assisting). We had more than a dozen photographers turn out for this event and I actually had a chance to get a few frames for myself. :)

The composition of this one, in particular, interests me and I decided to process it. I did a run through with Lightroom and posted it to Milford Photo's group meetup page. It was alright but today I decided I wanted to see how far I could push it. I played with luminosity masks (I'm still learning this) and tried to get some dramatic lighting going on without loosing some of the detail in the church. My eyes are now thoroughly crossed and I feel my brain dripping from my ears 8~

Anyhow, honest opinions are greatly appreciated as I'm trying to really increase my editing abilities here. No pandering to my sentiments allowed! :spank:
Unitas_Photography-4732-PS.jpg
Edited in Lightroom and Photoshop

Unitas_Photography-4732-LR.jpg
Edited in Lightroom only
Unitas_Photography-4732-Orig.jpg
No editing done
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

Just one unqualified critics view....You did a great job with number one. I would like to see the sky from number 2 put back into number 1 as I think the sky seems overdone in the Lr/Ps image...The Lr only image is just too blue and you did a good job removing that cast in the first....also good work on the church lighting..oh and removing foot..haha

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm
Just one unqualified critics view....You did a great job with number one. I would like to see the sky from number 2 put back into number 1 as I think the sky seems overdone in the Lr/Ps image...The Lr only image is just too blue and you did a good job removing that cast in the first....also good work on the church lighting..oh and removing foot..haha
Perfect. This feedback helps. I had a difficult time with that sky. As you saw from the original, everything looked flat. As I started pulling light information out of the image I found I was having a hard time establishing a balance between the sky and church steeple. Too light and the steeple got lost or looked too silhouetted (in relation to the lower part of the building) and too dark it appeared fake. I did like the texture that came out though. I think you're right about the overcooked look in the PS version.

P.S. Good spotting that foot correction. :D I removed a few other distractions in PS as well.

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 28, 2019 12:15 am

and after what Frank said... I would use the waterfall from number 3.. making the church the center point of it all, and allowing more subtlety for the foreground. I think that you would have a greater feeling of depth if you did so.. Kill the left light.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:56 am
At the beginning of the month I participated in a dusk/night photo shoot with my local photo store (I was there assisting). We had more than a dozen photographers turn out for this event and I actually had a chance to get a few frames for myself. :)

The composition of this one, in particular, interests me and I decided to process it. I did a run through with Lightroom and posted it to Milford Photo's group meetup page. It was alright but today I decided I wanted to see how far I could push it. I played with luminosity masks (I'm still learning this) and tried to get some dramatic lighting going on without loosing some of the detail in the church. My eyes are now thoroughly crossed and I feel my brain dripping from my ears 8~

Anyhow, honest opinions are greatly appreciated as I'm trying to really increase my editing abilities here. No pandering to my sentiments allowed! :spank:
Unitas_Photography-4732-PS.jpg
Unitas_Photography-4732-LR.jpg

Unitas_Photography-4732-Orig.jpg
It is a well composed, well balanced and well taken image with beautiful rendering of the water. I would dare not offer any advice about luminosity masks which remain as obscure as sanskrit to me. The other two have given good feedback which I overall tend to agree with. However, your own vision should prevail over any of ours.

1. The detail in the church in #1 is a keeper.
2. Sky management in #2 is a keeper
3. Foot removal - yes
4. Overall color seems a bit too much on the blue side esp in the edited versions. The greens may also be a bit too intense for an evening shot. In the PS version, the blues seem to have overmuch cyan. Selective color adjustments perhaps?

The balancing of work for detail, work for light, and work for color can be a dizzying undertaking. Thanks for sharing a lovely image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed May 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Minnie, Frank, Piet, thank you all for your feedback. Having a fresh set of eyes definitely helps. As Minnie says, ultimately it is my vision that should prevail but I have to admit that all points mentioned here are valid and very appropriate. I will revisit the edit and repost. I have been rather busy lately so I will post at my earliest convenience.

Thanks