Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Scapes CritiqueYesterday Morning

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Yesterday Morning

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:30 pm

A quirky shot of a foggy sunrise, trying to hold all the tones in without HDR. The colors were pastels, and delicate, so I didn't try to ramp them up. Suggestions and edits welcome.
Attachments
sunrise (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2570
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 am

Well composed image minniev...I'm not sure I understand (holding all the tones in) I've been known to be a bit dense..

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am

'Yesterday Morning' is a beautiful scene. Did you use a gradient filter with this image, Minnie?
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 am
Well composed image minniev...I'm not sure I understand (holding all the tones in) I've been known to be a bit dense..
Thanks Frank. I wanted to keep the colors like they were, more in the pastel range, and still get a bit of definition in the clouds and reeds, but most ways to get definition also add contrast. When I did that, I lost the gentle transitions between yellows and oranges and it got close to banding. So I worked a bit on the top and bottom but left the middle alone.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:39 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am
'Yesterday Morning' is a beautiful scene. Did you use a gradient filter with this image, Minnie?
Thanks Dave. Of course I didn't remember to take a filter. The morning didn't develop as I expected, either, I was expecting dense fog till mid-day and was headed to the swamp. When I saw the fog lifting and burning off so quickly, I took a detour to get what I could from it while it lasted.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2570
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm

So something along these lines maybe??? I tried to boost the pastels but not change the luminance (light or darkness) of the image...
Attachments
sunrise (1 of 1)_psjunkie.jpg

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm

hey, only because in critique (meaning I really love this shot and the feeling of it). Straighten the horizon (the far shore looks like a horizon, even if it isn't). In the milky smoothness - roughly at the distance the reeds appear, the water seems a little hard - same with the most white cloud reflections. Soften/cloud that area up just a hair (or add a hint of ripples there) to get a little more depth into the scene.

This image is a wall hanger - spiritually and any other way you wish to measure it. Endless layered beauty.

User avatar
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:44 am

Lovely image Minnie. I'd straighten that horizon also and consider a square crop.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm
So something along these lines maybe??? I tried to boost the pastels but not change the luminance (light or darkness) of the image...
Thanks Frank. You've figured out things in PS I am still learning!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5194
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:37 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm
hey, only because in critique (meaning I really love this shot and the feeling of it). Straighten the horizon (the far shore looks like a horizon, even if it isn't). In the milky smoothness - roughly at the distance the reeds appear, the water seems a little hard - same with the most white cloud reflections. Soften/cloud that area up just a hair (or add a hint of ripples there) to get a little more depth into the scene.

This image is a wall hanger - spiritually and any other way you wish to measure it. Endless layered beauty.
Thanks Piet. I will give it a whirl. I think my eyes are crooked, I have always had so much trouble with horizons.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest