Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

― Scapes CritiqueQuiet Space

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Quiet Space

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 pm

All suggestions appreciated.

I left the tall grasses in on the lower right because I don't think I can clone them out safely
Attachments
jd (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 pm

is that the only reason???

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 pm
is that the only reason???
Well you know me, I like all that junk in the frame. There is actually a life sized silver buffalo in there but you can't see him if you don't know he's there.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:46 pm

was never a boy scout......

RichieC
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by RichieC » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Yes you can! (remove grass) - just takes time to make it look convincing enough so that no one would ever notice... powerlines and sticks are usually easy. - then I'd pump up that reflection till it looks right- a bit dingy as is... kinda has to be to get the snow and highlights everywhere else etc. not blown out when you took it.

I whipped this off in PSD ( attached) ... but I'd approach it in lightroom for better results. First remove grass... as it adds nothing but a distraction. Then make two images. Balance one JUST for the reflection, the 2nd for the rest. then moving them over to PSD- I'd layer the two, putting water balanced version on top layer.. then mask it off 100%, then slowly paint in the mask... of the water version with a soft white brush in the water area only to reveal your new water.... slowly build it up with a less than 100% brush... then play with transparency slider and reveal the brighter water till it balances... and you like it! :)_. Result will be along the direction of the attached- only better.
Grass Removed.jpg
Attachments
Grass Removed.psd
(7.42 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:43 pm

RichieC wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:33 pm
Yes you can! (remove grass) - just takes time to make it look convincing enough so that no one would ever notice... powerlines and sticks are usually easy. - then I'd pump up that reflection till it looks right- a bit dingy as is... kinda has to be to get the snow and highlights everywhere else etc. not blown out when you took it.

I whipped this off in PSD ( attached) ... but I'd approach it in lightroom for better results. First remove grass... as it adds nothing but a distraction. Then make two images. Balance one JUST for the reflection, the 2nd for the rest. then moving them over to PSD- I'd layer the two, putting water balanced version on top layer.. then mask it off 100%, then slowly paint in the mask... of the water version with a soft white brush in the water area only to reveal your new water.... slowly build it up with a less than 100% brush... then play with transparency slider and reveal the brighter water till it balances... and you like it! :)_. Result will be along the direction of the attached- only better.

Grass Removed.jpg
Hello my friend and boy am I glad to see ya here! Your attention to the details and your explanations of the how-to have helped get me this far, and I have so much more to learn. I didn't even notice the lack of zip in the reflection. I did have to underexpose a stop or two because of all the reflected light from the snow zinging around everywhere, and I didn't compensate in the reflection like I did other places. Thanks for the PSD example, it's a help.

We are a quiet, pleasant little troll-free community that enjoys sharing and learning photography and art, so jump in!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Loner here, I guess. The grass was there so I vote for it to stay. And I like it. Doesn't block the view; leads in for me. A little snap and pop in the intro. Good. But if you do export the grass, you have to import them there clouds, you know. Can't stop half way, m'lady. Stunning image over all; details are less important for me, somewhat; in scenes like this, I look for the major impact and it whomps me here big. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Loner here, I guess. The grass was there so I vote for it to stay. And I like it. Doesn't block the view; leads in for me. A little snap and pop in the intro. Good. But if you do export the grass, you have to import them there clouds, you know. Can't stop half way, m'lady. Stunning image over all; details are less important for me, somewhat; in scenes like this, I look for the major impact and it whomps me here big. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 pm

Richie did good, like the brighter water and the reflection. It seems off a little however in that the snow/ice has mostly melted to slush there.. Perhaps make it ice again by sharpening that area. Love the Cold brightness of this image.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 pm
I haven't tried clouds yet but may! They'd have to be small and puffy in keeping with the rest of the cheery little winter scene. Thanks!