― Scapes CritiqueCityscape - Jackson Square at 10 Past 7

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Cityscape - Jackson Square at 10 Past 7

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Taken just after the sun peeped over the MS River levee and lit up the St. Louis Cathedral. I know it is not centered, and that is what I'd like feedback on. I've shot this scene in various seasons and always done it squarely on, but wanted to try something a little different. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Attachments
7 am (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm

I see nothing at all wrong with this composition, it doesn't seem too far off of square on though minniev. Could be I don't fully understand your question ( centered and squarely on )....an alternative crop would be in from the left to the sign left of the gate...I've no idea what's there but moving further to the right of the cyclist and shooting back left may be an option for a less square on different perspective.....I like this presentation by the way

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:32 pm

The off centered approach is fine here Minnie. It was such a lovely morning, with magnificent soft lighting. The biker and grocery cart pusher all contribute to this scene so well, while the sun shining on St. Louis Cathedral, the blue sky formed after the previous rain all adds to the beauty of the flag flying proudly. Can't go wrong with this one.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:48 pm

I thought you would be interested in seeing this one for comparison. I know we were there on two occasions. This was on our second visit, trying something different I used the fisheye for experimentation. Not quite effective as yours, but it's there for viewing.
Dave
Attachments
Jackson Square DEC_0698w.jpg
Jackson Square
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm
I see nothing at all wrong with this composition, it doesn't seem too far off of square on though minniev. Could be I don't fully understand your question ( centered and squarely on )....an alternative crop would be in from the left to the sign left of the gate...I've no idea what's there but moving further to the right of the cyclist and shooting back left may be an option for a less square on different perspective.....I like this presentation by the way
Thanks Frank. I've always shot it full on, with the cathedral dead center. But the cathedral isn't really in front of the gates, it 's kind of slewed. Different stuff built over 300 yrs and not quite matching everything else. So I did it different. Glad you think its OK.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:32 pm
The off centered approach is fine here Minnie. It was such a lovely morning, with magnificent soft lighting. The biker and grocery cart pusher all contribute to this scene so well, while the sun shining on St. Louis Cathedral, the blue sky formed after the previous rain all adds to the beauty of the flag flying proudly. Can't go wrong with this one.
Dave
Glad it works for ya! And you saw it yourself so you know what I was working with. I do like your fisheye version. I need one of those things! Next time I come to NOLA I will bring my 9-18, my widest lens, and see what I can cook up with it!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:28 pm

could be 100 percent wrong here, but knowing the time and all, am wishing for the dark and gloomy shades that must/might have been present. I like the mood of dawn/dusk that Dave presented that I am thinking might have been in your image also.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:28 pm
could be 100 percent wrong here, but knowing the time and all, am wishing for the dark and gloomy shades that must/might have been present. I like the mood of dawn/dusk that Dave presented that I am thinking might have been in your image also.
Mine was taken a little later when the sun was up a little bit and there was no more of the shadow of the levee across the square. I have some of the darker ones but haven't worked with them yet. And I think Dave used some special toning to get his colors like that.

Benedikt and Spidey have you in a dark mood, Piet :D . I have a few dark-side ones including a vampire I haven't decided how to edit yet. But I shall post something dark for you! Watch for it.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:28 pm
Mine was taken a little later when the sun was up a little bit and there was no more of the shadow of the levee across the square. I have some of the darker ones but haven't worked with them yet. And I think Dave used some special toning to get his colors like that.

Benedikt and Spidey have you in a dark mood, Piet :D . I have a few dark-side ones including a vampire I haven't decided how to edit yet. But I shall post something dark for you! Watch for it.
I await... eagerly