"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes CritiqueBoy crossing creek

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Boy crossing creek

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am

All suggestions welcome. From last summer at Paines Creek Beach, Cape Cod. Don't know what to do about the hot spot in the water and the white teddy bear and cross in the sky. Thanks. Matt
Attachments
pM Exports-2.jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 11:38 am

Iconic! Find your Mixer Brush, or experiment with the clone brush at a low opacity and steal some clouds from the left or the right and put it into the center to take care of the sky hot spot. The water hot spot doesn't bug me for some reason. That looks like an awesome beach to explore and spend time at.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks. This will keep me busy today. Yes, this is my happy place I visit early every morning at the end of my walk when we are at the Cape. I normally have it all to myself. A few trucks have workers in the cab drinking their coffee before heading to the work site. But the beach, creek and bay are normally empty. So I can shoot all I want. Matt
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed May 30, 2018 2:37 pm

This is a really nice image. Very scenic and the figure definitely adds a sense of scale. As for your hot spots, they are what they are. Yes, the sky can be patched over but I wouldn't completely remove it. We expect to see the sun in the sky and it gives reason for the specularity on the water. I agree it can be toned down, just don't compellingly eradicate it. I particularly love all the textures visible in this image. Don't loose that. Well done.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:37 pm
This is a really nice image. Very scenic and the figure definitely adds a sense of scale. As for your hot spots, they are what they are. Yes, the sky can be patched over but I wouldn't completely remove it. We expect to see the sun in the sky and it gives reason for the specularity on the water. I agree it can be toned down, just don't compellingly eradicate it. I particularly love all the textures visible in this image. Don't loose that. Well done.
Thanks Duck. Means a lot. I do hesitate to mess around because I often don't know where to stop and end up with chaos. As I have mentioned before, I don't have a final result in my mind that I want to create when I start working on a photo. I look at the originals and select one I like for its tones, composition and moment, and then begin to work on it until the little voice in my head says Yes. Then I stop. But sometimes I never hear that voice. And I keep fiddling. Then Rome burns.

I think I will just stare at this photo for a while and let my mind's eye play with it. I will try a modest toning in the sky and see where that takes me. Many thanks to you and Piet for the support.

Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed May 30, 2018 3:16 pm

This is an absolutely wonderful image. The composition is elegant and perfectly contrived. The placement of the boy was perfect, and I'm sure you watched for it and caught it when it was that way. Black and white is a good choice. I agree with Piet about trying to mitigate the lost detail in the sunspot in the sky with borrowed texture at a reduced opacity. The hot spot on the water is fine, it actually works well. I think this image is worth spending extra time with because it is art. It needs perfecting, printing, and framing for display.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Matt, I messed with the trouble area and did the following...

1) Roughed up the sharp edges on the cloud that was blown
2) Painted in some more cloud texture in that area
3) Noticed that while that area was blown, it also was not very bright (it was grey) So I brightened that area
4) Then using Nik Vivesa and a mask I added structure and contrast (to make that area seem brighter and harsher)
matt.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Magic,Piet. I love what you did. I see the results and want to be able to do what you did. Did you do this in PS? Can you be more specific about what each step means and how to do it? (e.g., roughing the sharp edges) Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:16 pm
This is an absolutely wonderful image. The composition is elegant and perfectly contrived. The placement of the boy was perfect, and I'm sure you watched for it and caught it when it was that way. Black and white is a good choice. I agree with Piet about trying to mitigate the lost detail in the sunspot in the sky with borrowed texture at a reduced opacity. The hot spot on the water is fine, it actually works well. I think this image is worth spending extra time with because it is art. It needs perfecting, printing, and framing for display.
Yes, Minnie, I did wait. He was running ahead of his parents and I saw where he was headed. I am lucky to have caught that moment with the arms and legs just so. Also, as Duck noted, the little chap gives a sense of scale to the photo. Those black forms on the horizon are suvs on the beach belonging to people who are clamming on the next beach.

Thanks for the positive comments. Matt
Matt Quinn

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 pm
Magic,Piet. I love what you did. I see the results and want to be able to do what you did. Did you do this in PS? Can you be more specific about what each step means and how to do it? (e.g., roughing the sharp edges) Thanks. Matt

LOL - ok, We will do a back and forth on this image. But rather than talk about it, YOU are going to DO it, One step at a time. I will post VERY SPECIFIC instructions and a screen shot of the result. Then you will execute those steps and post YOUR results. When we are both happy, then we move to the next step. Hang on, and I will post STEP 1