"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes CritiqueSwamp Child in Spring Clothes

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Swamp Child in Spring Clothes

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Here's another one that I took and edited half blind but somehow it attracted the attention of folks in my other group. Perhaps I should start taking pictures with my eyes closed and editing them that way too. Yes, it is an experiment as so many of mine are, this time with Orton Effect, something I used to do a lot and haven't done much of lately. Trying to convey the sense of looking through the dark canopy of tupelos just after sunrise, towards the light spot where the Swamp Child lives.
Attachments
swamp (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm

A fine image minniev....I might like to see the bright spot blended or feathered a touch more, maybe it's just the dark trunk above that's catching my eye.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm
A fine image minniev....I might like to see the bright spot blended or feathered a touch more, maybe it's just the dark trunk above that's catching my eye.
Agree. I will need your help like this till my eyes recover.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Yes, the light spot does seem a bit harsh in relation. However, I am not really seeing a point of interest in that spot of light. Your Swamp Child is hard to see as it does not separate itself from its surroundings. Im sure as a larger image it may be easier to find but as a small image, I'm having a hard time.

Sorry.

The ambiance of the overall scene. Wonderful. It's just missing that point of focus.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm
Yes, the light spot does seem a bit harsh in relation. However, I am not really seeing a point of interest in that spot of light. Your Swamp Child is hard to see as it does not separate itself from its surroundings. Im sure as a larger image it may be easier to find but as a small image, I'm having a hard time.

Sorry.

The ambiance of the overall scene. Wonderful. It's just missing that point of focus.
No worries, I expect you're right. The Swamp Child photos work better in a series, where it can be seen in seasons and colors. It turns out a little better with Frank's suggestions but still needs its others to be of much interest to anyone that doesn't know the area. And yes, larger, too.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 pm

this is my favorite of your swamp images. The depth is amazing, I would call it "hallway of mirrors" or some such. I love the tones and the richness of color. I'd consider darkening the top left so that the only major light remaining is in the center. The spot where swamp child stands is a wonderful stage. You could place a unicorn there, or a dragon, or a beautiful woman in a long dress. The image has all the characteristics of a fantasy stage.

If you choose for swamp child to be the hero figure, darken the trees behind her, and work in a beam of light that lands on her. The tall thick trees are like knights guarding the small princess - I think this shot is awesome!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:38 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 pm
this is my favorite of your swamp images. The depth is amazing, I would call it "hallway of mirrors" or some such. I love the tones and the richness of color. I'd consider darkening the top left so that the only major light remaining is in the center. The spot where swamp child stands is a wonderful stage. You could place a unicorn there, or a dragon, or a beautiful woman in a long dress. The image has all the characteristics of a fantasy stage.

If you choose for swamp child to be the hero figure, darken the trees behind her, and work in a beam of light that lands on her. The tall thick trees are like knights guarding the small princess - I think this shot is awesome!
Glad you like it! It has had some surprising appeal to a local photography group, but they are familiar with the area. I was trying to capture the mystery, and the guardian role of those old Tupelo’s. I did take Frank’s advice and darkened that tree right behind Child. I don’t know about dragons but I could try a dam bird or two. Agree with your idea about darkening the bright spot up top. The light beam sounds interesting so I’ll try it! Thank you!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm
Here's another one that I took and edited half blind but somehow it attracted the attention of folks in my other group. Perhaps I should start taking pictures with my eyes closed and editing them that way too. Yes, it is an experiment as so many of mine are, this time with Orton Effect, something I used to do a lot and haven't done much of lately. Trying to convey the sense of looking through the dark canopy of tupelos just after sunrise, towards the light spot where the Swamp Child lives.
I like to right-click the image and place it in a new tab to isolate it from the rest, it seems to add depth and lets me focus on it.

I like this for what it is but find the bright spot, off to the right, a little behind the Swamp Child distracting. It's not bad, and if you know what to look for it's all there, but it pulls my eye. Now if you didn't know about The Child then Hell Yea I like it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:51 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 am

I like to right-click the image and place it in a new tab to isolate it from the rest, it seems to add depth and lets me focus on it.

I like this for what it is but find the bright spot, off to the right, a little behind the Swamp Child distracting. It's not bad, and if you know what to look for it's all there, but it pulls my eye. Now if you didn't know about The Child then Hell Yea I like it! S-
Good point. Here is rework with a little burning in of the whitish areas that a couple of folks pointed out as distracting in some way.
Attachments
swamp child2 (1 of 1).jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:21 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:51 pm
Good point. Here is rework with a little burning in of the whitish areas that a couple of folks pointed out as distracting in some way.
Look at the reflection too! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"