"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Scapes CritiqueA sense of place?

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A sense of place?

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am

The Yakima River Canyon in fog this morning
Attachments
1 P1050124.jpg
1 P1050107-1.jpg
1 P1050061 sl crop.jpg
1 P1050077.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am
OH, Linda, I am in awe of your abilities with the camera. These are clearly the result of years of patient work, sensitive looking and an open soul. The tonal range is superb, the transitions from tone to tone exotically soft and muted. You have captured and shared a genuine sense of your place. The framing is perfect with clarity from front to back; breathtaking perspectives. Print them large; your wall will offer you a well-deserved temple for peaceful contemplation. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 am

Your "place" is terrain that is not something I see in real life unless I travel. I feel that all four shots are closely related to enhance the sense of place. The various perspectives all show a cold and rugged landscape. The fog or low clouds on the upper slopes increases the feeling of cold. I expect it to start snowing at any moment. The two closer shots intensify the steep and rugged feel. I see no real sign of human activity which would suggest that it is also a remote area. Your choice of B&W intensifies the overall effect. The title poses a question and I definitely think you have portrayed a strong sense of place. I wouldn't know exactly where this is but I have a clear understanding of the nature of the location.

I think you've done an excellent job on the composition and exposure in these shots. It all works together to accomplish your goal!

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Snow and fog...you also captured the feeling of damp coldness getting through to my skin!

Other than the switch-back cow(?) paths in #2,I see no trace of activity, human or otherwise.
I get the feeling it was windless/ breezeless, and very quiet.

Looks like a place I would like to have been that day....

I like your series.

Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm

An excellent set to view Linda !!! The blue tone gives me a sense of damp coldness to show the power of this series. Well done on all accounts.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 am
OH, Linda, I am in awe of your abilities with the camera. These are clearly the result of years of patient work, sensitive looking and an open soul. The tonal range is superb, the transitions from tone to tone exotically soft and muted. You have captured and shared a genuine sense of your place. The framing is perfect with clarity from front to back; breathtaking perspectives. Print them large; your wall will offer you a well-deserved temple for peaceful contemplation. Matt
Matt, many heartfelt thanks for your gracious manner and interest. I'm so pleased you enjoyed.
Carol W wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 am
Your "place" is terrain that is not something I see in real life unless I travel. I feel that all four shots are closely related to enhance the sense of place. The various perspectives all show a cold and rugged landscape. The fog or low clouds on the upper slopes increases the feeling of cold. I expect it to start snowing at any moment. The two closer shots intensify the steep and rugged feel. I see no real sign of human activity which would suggest that it is also a remote area. Your choice of B&W intensifies the overall effect. The title poses a question and I definitely think you have portrayed a strong sense of place. I wouldn't know exactly where this is but I have a clear understanding of the nature of the location.
I think you've done an excellent job on the composition and exposure in these shots. It all works together to accomplish your goal!
Carol, I'm very grateful for your Florida-resident perspective. Your feedback reassures me I am heading in the right direction with these. I tried a few edits that brought out more details, were more dramatic overall, but that's not what it looked like and not what I felt. Thanks so much!
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm
An excellent set to view Linda !!! The blue tone gives me a sense of damp coldness to show the power of this series. Well done on all accounts.
Dave
Many thanks, Dave! I'm very pleased that my intent with the compositions and edits came across. Delighted you enjoyed.
uuglypher wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 am
Snow and fog...you also captured the feeling of damp coldness getting through to my skin! Other than the switch-back cow(?) paths in #2, I see no trace of activity, human or otherwise. I get the feeling it was windless/ breezeless, and very quiet. Looks like a place I would like to have been that day....I like your series.
Dave
Thank you, Dave! Fortunately, it wasn't as cold as it looks (well, low 30's, so maybe would be cold for Carol :) ) so I was able to take more care and thought. But yes, quiet and with very little activity though I enjoyed spotting 15 eagles (that's not so many these days in many parts of the country). I didn't have my longer lens with me, but I'll share these two heavily cropped. Looks like I went a little too red on my edits of the juvie - who seemed unconcerned that I was standing almost directly below it, at a turnout, shooting some of the distant scenery. Most of the "paths' in the canyon are from bighorn sheep. There is also a large number of mule deer.
Attachments
1 P1040991.jpg
1 P1050012.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Truly beautiful and truly does convey sense of place - majestic, isolated, cold, dreamy. The processing in blue-silver tones is a shivery and impactful way to present this nice set. Well done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:38 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 pm
Truly beautiful and truly does convey sense of place - majestic, isolated, cold, dreamy. The processing in blue-silver tones is a shivery and impactful way to present this nice set. Well done.
I'm so glad you feel the mood and sense of place, Minnie. Much appreciated! After I uploaded I noticed #2 is a awfully dark on left and bottom. Thinking bottom could be trimmed off a little and left side perhaps very slightly adjusted. Your time and viewpoint are appreciated, as always.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:50 pm

"I turned my collar to the cold and damp." Beautifully executed, definitely a "sense of place," but potentially bleak, even off-putting. This is by no means a criticism (I could not critique the pictures --- too well done), but let's just say I would not submit them to the Washington State Tourism Board or the Yakima Visitors' Council --- unless accompanied by pictures from the same angle in, say, spring, which I think is a heckuva idea! I've seen some wildly successful 4-season renderings of the same places... just'a thought. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:50 pm
"I turned my collar to the cold and damp." Beautifully executed, definitely a "sense of place," but potentially bleak, even off-putting. This is by no means a criticism (I could not critique the pictures --- too well done), but let's just say I would not submit them to the Washington State Tourism Board or the Yakima Visitors' Council --- unless accompanied by pictures from the same angle in, say, spring, which I think is a heckuva idea! I've seen some wildly successful 4-season renderings of the same places... just'a thought. :)
Thank you Chuck! I absolutely understand about the off-putting, bleak. On the one hand I'm very pleased I captured that mood so that I can feel I gave a strong pov; on the other, I am counting the days 'til spring :D Regarding seasonal shots of same spot, I have three of a particularly pretty place in the canyon, so will work on getting the 4th, as well as think about some of these others. Unfortunately, fall is kind of nondescript when there are no deciduous trees, so I'm limited. The site of #1 is about the best area for autumn color.