Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: A sense of place?

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm
Thank you Chuck! I absolutely understand about the off-putting, bleak. On the one hand I'm very pleased I captured that mood so that I can feel I gave a strong pov; on the other, I am counting the days 'til spring :D Regarding seasonal shots of same spot, I have three of a particularly pretty place in the canyon, so will work on getting the 4th, as well as think about some of these others. Unfortunately, fall is kind of nondescript when there are no deciduous trees, so I'm limited. The site of #1 is about the best area for autumn color.
30 years in northern California left us scrabbling for places with autumn color! I don't mean to imply a 4-seasons approach, just that my first reaction was Whoa! Bleak! So I would want to see a counterpoint, especially as close to the same angle as possible. Bleak is a mood and a sensation, a memory. That's the Sense of Place of this place at this moment. Bleak isn't Bad, just, urm, bleak. (Need my thesaurus.) I'd love to sometime see a contrasting spring shot. Summer can be bleak in its own way.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 pm
30 years in northern California left us scrabbling for places with autumn color! I don't mean to imply a 4-seasons approach, just that my first reaction was Whoa! Bleak! So I would want to see a counterpoint, especially as close to the same angle as possible. Bleak is a mood and a sensation, a memory. That's the Sense of Place of this place at this moment. Bleak isn't Bad, just, urm, bleak. (Need my thesaurus.) I'd love to sometime see a contrasting spring shot. Summer can be bleak in its own way.
Yeah, summers here can be challenging when it's 100 degrees and the air hazard warnings are out (from smoke when the entire NW appears to be on fire). Think spring!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:32 am

I don't know how I missed these images... They're gorgeously stunning.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:32 am
I don't know how I missed these images... They're gorgeously stunning.
I'm very grateful, Duck. I spent two hours driving up and back the 24-mile stretch, getting out every mile and carefully composing instead of shooting from the car window while barely slowing down :rofl:

I'm so pleased you found interest and pleasure from them the set.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am
The Yakima River Canyon in fog this morning
So...where'd you get the 4x6 Box Camera?

Your images remind me of the beautiful work done in the past by the masters. Soft, subtle, and powerful! Wow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 am
So...where'd you get the 4x6 Box Camera?
Your images remind me of the beautiful work done in the past by the masters. Soft, subtle, and powerful! Wow! S-
Thank you, Steve. What a wowsa compliment!