― Scapes CritiqueThe Other Pink Cap Cloud Day

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Other Pink Cap Cloud Day

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46 pm

I totally forgot this one had such a detailed foreground (different day, different location from the one posted yesterday to showcase). I guess with a scene like this, one has to take it on faith that I didn't add the color in pp :)

Please let me know what you think about the processing. #1 has a lot of watercolor effect, which is how the foreground looks so bright. There was actually no sunlight yet on anything but the mountain and its cap.

#2 is as close to the actual conditions as I could make it. Is there anything you'd change to enhance, but keep the more realistic feeling? Feel free to post an edit or advise.

Many thanks!
Attachments
1 PB250009.jpg
1 PB250009 orig.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 am

Crop the top of the first and you have a pano Rockwell, keep the top and you have a pretty-nuclear-explosion.

I really like the first, I just wish we could see more of the mountain. It really is lovely! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:25 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 am
Crop the top of the first and you have a pano Rockwell, keep the top and you have a pretty-nuclear-explosion.

I really like the first, I just wish we could see more of the mountain. It really is lovely! S-
Thank you, Steve. You've brought up a good point about the lack of mountain view - what's normal for me is frustration for someone else.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46 pm
I totally forgot this one had such a detailed foreground (different day, different location from the one posted yesterday to showcase). I guess with a scene like this, one has to take it on faith that I didn't add the color in pp :)

Please let me know what you think about the processing. #1 has a lot of watercolor effect, which is how the foreground looks so bright. There was actually no sunlight yet on anything but the mountain and its cap.

#2 is as close to the actual conditions as I could make it. Is there anything you'd change to enhance, but keep the more realistic feeling? Feel free to post an edit or advise.

Many thanks!

That is a cloud to die for. Beautiful color and form.

I like the watercolor version except for the oranges in the foreground buildings, which seem to clash with the pinks and pull attention from them. I'd try tinkering with the orange and try to pull it more to reds or maroons, and subdue it enough to make it play nicely with the Star Of The Show.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:15 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 pm
That is a cloud to die for. Beautiful color and form.

I like the watercolor version except for the oranges in the foreground buildings, which seem to clash with the pinks and pull attention from them. I'd try tinkering with the orange and try to pull it more to reds or maroons, and subdue it enough to make it play nicely with the Star Of The Show.
Terrific observation and suggestion, Minnie. Thanks so much.