"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

― Scapes CritiqueTwo Suns

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Two Suns

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm

" I did do up an alternate version without any tonal contrast added. It's a little blander, and not quite as magnificent as what I thought I saw but maybe a little less nerve-jangling.

Comparing the two, I find your second has lost the "lightness of being" of the joy of seeing a sunrise. Rather than bland, I feel it has gone to a pre-storm/danger kind of feel.

Another fantastic teaching/learning moment about edits and moods and stories.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:41 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 am
Does anyone see the butterfly? S-
I do now that you've planted the suggestion :D I rotated 90 degrees and cropped, and thar she were.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

For some reason (fever?) I hear Leonard Nimoy's rumbling basso: "But it is not twin suns, Jim. That is not logical. The second "sun" is merely a reflection. ...(humans)."

Suffice to say I like both versions fine, really can't lean one way or 't'other although I do tend to do pretty saturated with my own stuff but that's this week. Here is how I would crop it (second version used) had I made it:
2suns2 (1 of 1) - Edited.jpg
it's a 16:9, a favorite of mine since it fits computer screens as wallpaper. I cropped all the foreground manatee gobble, then brought the upper right corner down to shift the suns a little closer to god The Mighty Imperial Decree of Thirds. I really wish I could have made this. For me that is just a stunner!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3911
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 am
Does anyone see the butterfly? S-
Not till you brought it up but of course now I do!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3911
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm
" I did do up an alternate version without any tonal contrast added. It's a little blander, and not quite as magnificent as what I thought I saw but maybe a little less nerve-jangling.

Comparing the two, I find your second has lost the "lightness of being" of the joy of seeing a sunrise. Rather than bland, I feel it has gone to a pre-storm/danger kind of feel.

Another fantastic teaching/learning moment about edits and moods and stories.
Thanks for a new look at it.

The scene was pretty intense, which was why I leaned toward intense presentation. I had trouble seeing through the viewfinder for the tears - from the brightness of the sun, the temperature, and the wind.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3911
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm
For some reason (fever?) I hear Leonard Nimoy's rumbling basso: "But it is not twin suns, Jim. That is not logical. The second "sun" is merely a reflection. ...(humans)."

Suffice to say I like both versions fine, really can't lean one way or 't'other although I do tend to do pretty saturated with my own stuff but that's this week. Here is how I would crop it (second version used) had I made it:
2suns2 (1 of 1) - Edited.jpg

it's a 16:9, a favorite of mine since it fits computer screens as wallpaper. I cropped all the foreground manatee gobble, then brought the upper right corner down to shift the suns a little closer to god The Mighty Imperial Decree of Thirds. I really wish I could have made this. For me that is just a stunner!
Thanks for showing me your crop, Chuck, I had trouble finding one that worked.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm
Thanks for showing me your crop, Chuck, I had trouble finding one that worked.
It's what I would do if I cropped it at all, mostly being mindful of what I wanted to keep and what I thought would not be a great loss if it went. I know you think "kitchen sink" but maybe I do too? Our eyes don't "frame" a scene, right? We take in the whole thing, maybe mentally diminishing less important things or even distractions. The camera, the canvas, is restricted to some kind of frame. The painter/sketch artist can easily put in that which is important and leave out that which is not. The camera gets it all, distractions included, so the photographer is forced to really look at the framing, what to frame out, what to frame in, and then after the fact (if possible) deal with distractions (now I am thinking Pete Turner or Galen Rowell or Jay Maisel, all working in transparency where whatever is in the frame is just there and waddyadonow?). My thinking was that you framed the original about how I would have, so maybe it's kitchen sink-y, but I like it. Still, the more I think about it the more I think the crop does no harm and perhaps even improves it by removing potential distractions without diminishing that incredible to-die-for sky.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests