The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Scapes CritiqueTwo Suns

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Two Suns

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah, it's busy and it's messed up by being shot straight into both suns with morning haze, but I had to try since there were two suns and they looked liked they had pulled the clouds down to the horizon with them. All comments are appreciated.
Attachments
2suns (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I like a pano, squeeze out the top and bottom - it simplifies it in a good way (I think)

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm
I like a pano, squeeze out the top and bottom - it simplifies it in a good way (I think)
Thanks Piet. I agree simplification is needed!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
I agree. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I agree. Matt
Thank ya. Advice noted, and I'll work on smashing it down a bit.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm thinking the busy-ness might be partly due to the processing. Is this one you'd consider going softer, less detailed? Either way, a trim of the bottom foreground seems to still offer the feeling of clouds being pulled low.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:35 pm
I'm thinking the busy-ness might be partly due to the processing. Is this one you'd consider going softer, less detailed? Either way, a trim of the bottom foreground seems to still offer the feeling of clouds being pulled low.
Worth a try, I attempted to reduce the contrast to fight off the complications of shooting like this, but I don’t know that I got much in return for that.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 pm

This is the all-his-taste-is-in-his-mouth guy who loves the original picture as is and cannot see "busy." WhAAaaaa? I don't think cropping to a 16:9 would hurt it per se. The foreground could go because (IMO) it's unnecessary since the cloud reflection is there. The upper deck of clouds are going to be gobsmacking regardless whether we crop it down. So a crop won't hurt. But I just cannot see it as "busy" or "too sharp" or whatever something or other. If I had made it (boy do I wish I had) I would deliver it as is and be mildly surprised that others thought it could be improved. Sure, anything maybe can be improved, but for me looking at this as dispassionately as possible, (1) I am right there and (2) OOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhh... :look:

Popped out as a thumbnail my eye goes straight to the "twin suns." From a compositional rule perspective I think "they" are perfectly placed. One could get all nit picky and wish that the main sun were placed on the right lower intersection of thirds but why? They are the brightest thing in the frame and maybe the reason the ancients made up them rules is they work; the eye goes to bright. There's a gorgeous star-filter effect that f/22'll do for ya. There's a layer of fine morning mist shrouding the trees so they are not too dark or too sharp or too contrasty, nothing to pull attention from the secondary subject, the clouds. Oh them clouds! Min, you like to quote Dewitt Jones on praying with one's eyes. In a scene like this I'm mildly surprised you remembered to photograph it!

A crop would not hurt (it's easy to scroll it up and down and see that nothing crucial would be framed out). But otherwise I see nothing in the processing that makes me want to go back and fuss with it. We all evolve as photographers. I look at something I did last week and decide it's below par from what I learned since last week. I also probably far too prone to framing as the camera frames, to whatever ratio the designers decided (although modern cameras will frame lots of different ways). But this picture I think (all subjective, ain't my pitcher) is as close to perfect in its original iteration as you could get it. (OK) :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 am

Does anyone see the butterfly? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 pm
This is the all-his-taste-is-in-his-mouth guy who loves the original picture as is and cannot see "busy." WhAAaaaa? I don't think cropping to a 16:9 would hurt it per se. The foreground could go because (IMO) it's unnecessary since the cloud reflection is there. The upper deck of clouds are going to be gobsmacking regardless whether we crop it down. So a crop won't hurt. But I just cannot see it as "busy" or "too sharp" or whatever something or other. If I had made it (boy do I wish I had) I would deliver it as is and be mildly surprised that others thought it could be improved. Sure, anything maybe can be improved, but for me looking at this as dispassionately as possible, (1) I am right there and (2) OOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhh... :look:

Popped out as a thumbnail my eye goes straight to the "twin suns." From a compositional rule perspective I think "they" are perfectly placed. One could get all nit picky and wish that the main sun were placed on the right lower intersection of thirds but why? They are the brightest thing in the frame and maybe the reason the ancients made up them rules is they work; the eye goes to bright. There's a gorgeous star-filter effect that f/22'll do for ya. There's a layer of fine morning mist shrouding the trees so they are not too dark or too sharp or too contrasty, nothing to pull attention from the secondary subject, the clouds. Oh them clouds! Min, you like to quote Dewitt Jones on praying with one's eyes. In a scene like this I'm mildly surprised you remembered to photograph it!

A crop would not hurt (it's easy to scroll it up and down and see that nothing crucial would be framed out). But otherwise I see nothing in the processing that makes me want to go back and fuss with it. We all evolve as photographers. I look at something I did last week and decide it's below par from what I learned since last week. I also probably far too prone to framing as the camera frames, to whatever ratio the designers decided (although modern cameras will frame lots of different ways). But this picture I think (all subjective, ain't my pitcher) is as close to perfect in its original iteration as you could get it. (OK) :thumbup:
Thanks Chuck. I have tried the two-suns thing before, and it always draws some opinions that it's simply too much stuff. It may be disconcerting, too, to actually have two suns in such close proximity. It ain't natural! I appreciate your detailed feedback. Even my husband told me there was nothing I could do with that scene, but it may have just been because he was cold and regretting he'd come with me that day. I did do up an alternate version without any tonal contrast added. It's a little blander, and not quite as magnificent as what I thought I saw but maybe a little less nerve-jangling. I didn't crop, as I could not find a crop I really liked any better.
Attachments
2suns2 (1 of 1).jpg