"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes CritiqueYakima Dawn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Yakima Dawn

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for your time!
Attachments
1 PB040038-1bw.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Looks like the inversion layer is jamming everything down in the dawn chill. Hard to breathe just looking at it. I like the misty distance very much but find myself idly wondering if I would open the foreground up just a little... I'm torn. There seems not to be much there. The picture is the misty distance; the foreground is really just frame. I can see just enough detail that it seems pretty industrial and probably not terribly attractive, one reason why B&W works well. Maybe it's better to leave it as is, letting the eye rise up into the foggy surround. I have to say that it seems rather a bleak view. I've never been in Yakima but I know other folks who have lived there and cheerfully refer to it as YUCKima. (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Nicely done Linda....if anything I might like to see the furtherest back mountain darkened a touch, my thought is it might add some depth..nothing at all wrong with it as presented...

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Looks like the inversion layer is jamming everything down in the dawn chill. Hard to breathe just looking at it. I like the misty distance very much but find myself idly wondering if I would open the foreground up just a little... I'm torn. There seems not to be much there. The picture is the misty distance; the foreground is really just frame. I can see just enough detail that it seems pretty industrial and probably not terribly attractive, one reason why B&W works well. Maybe it's better to leave it as is, letting the eye rise up into the foggy surround. I have to say that it seems rather a bleak view. I've never been in Yakima but I know other folks who have lived there and cheerfully refer to it as YUCKima. (N)

YUCKima works for me, lol. I'm very pleased with your description of bleak, dawn chill, trouble breathing, not attractive. All true and all what I hoped to convey. I don't know if I can lighten foreground much as it's rather under-exposed. And yeah, nothing of interest there anyway :) Your thoughtful feedback is greatly appreciated, Chuck!

Psjunkie wrote:Nicely done Linda....if anything I might like to see the furtherest back mountain darkened a touch, my thought is it might add some depth..nothing at all wrong with it as presented...
Thanks so much, Frank! I'll try that suggestion with "depth" in mind.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Interesting image. It's appealing in its softness and muted grays, like an old photograph. It could be Winter in Yakima 1950. More contrast would make it boring. It's nice just as it is.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 am

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks for your time!

Linda, I hope you drove to wherever you took this shot; I can't imagine hiking that high up before breakfast. I like the intimacy, privacy and closeness of the image even though it reaches forever. The place seems to belong only to you. A moment of meditation. And then, the gentle thrumming of the day begins as the smoke rises. A reminder that we live most of our lives in the middle ground, in shadows and mist, between light and dark. This moment evidently captured you. It reveals much; thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:27 pm

minniev wrote:Interesting image. It's appealing in its softness and muted grays, like an old photograph. It could be Winter in Yakima 1950. More contrast would make it boring. It's nice just as it is.
Thanks Minnie! I hadn't considered the "old photograph" element. Interesting to know!

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, I hope you drove to wherever you took this shot; I can't imagine hiking that high up before breakfast. I like the intimacy, privacy and closeness of the image even though it reaches forever. The place seems to belong only to you. A moment of meditation. And then, the gentle thrumming of the day begins as the smoke rises. A reminder that we live most of our lives in the middle ground, in shadows and mist, between light and dark. This moment evidently captured you. It reveals much; thank you. Matt
Thank you for your detailed impression, Matt! You felt much more than I did (at times I can express better, but not this one). But yes, I did drive to this spot, only a couple of miles from my apartment. Called "Scenic Drive," the road looks down onto the fog-filled lower areas in winter and has an unobstructed view of sunrise most months.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:35 am

I like it as is, but thought I'd add a crop. I hope you like it. S-
Attachments
1 PB040038-1bw-1.jpg
1 PB040038-1bw-1.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 481 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:55 pm

St3v3M wrote:I like it as is, but thought I'd add a crop. I hope you like it. S-

I'm not sure, I feel like I'm shooting more from an airplane with your perspective. Don't know why exactly, maybe because there's less to stand on :) Will ponder further. Thank you Steve, and please let me know what you prefer about the crop.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I'm not sure, I feel like I'm shooting more from an airplane with your perspective. Don't know why exactly, maybe because there's less to stand on :) Will ponder further. Thank you Steve, and please let me know what you prefer about the crop.

There's nothing wrong with yours but wondered if it would change the mood if we removed the dark area at the bottom. Always experimenting! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"