"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes CritiqueYakima Dawn

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Yakima Dawn

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for your time!
Attachments
1 PB040038-1bw.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Looks like the inversion layer is jamming everything down in the dawn chill. Hard to breathe just looking at it. I like the misty distance very much but find myself idly wondering if I would open the foreground up just a little... I'm torn. There seems not to be much there. The picture is the misty distance; the foreground is really just frame. I can see just enough detail that it seems pretty industrial and probably not terribly attractive, one reason why B&W works well. Maybe it's better to leave it as is, letting the eye rise up into the foggy surround. I have to say that it seems rather a bleak view. I've never been in Yakima but I know other folks who have lived there and cheerfully refer to it as YUCKima. (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Nicely done Linda....if anything I might like to see the furtherest back mountain darkened a touch, my thought is it might add some depth..nothing at all wrong with it as presented...

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Looks like the inversion layer is jamming everything down in the dawn chill. Hard to breathe just looking at it. I like the misty distance very much but find myself idly wondering if I would open the foreground up just a little... I'm torn. There seems not to be much there. The picture is the misty distance; the foreground is really just frame. I can see just enough detail that it seems pretty industrial and probably not terribly attractive, one reason why B&W works well. Maybe it's better to leave it as is, letting the eye rise up into the foggy surround. I have to say that it seems rather a bleak view. I've never been in Yakima but I know other folks who have lived there and cheerfully refer to it as YUCKima. (N)


YUCKima works for me, lol. I'm very pleased with your description of bleak, dawn chill, trouble breathing, not attractive. All true and all what I hoped to convey. I don't know if I can lighten foreground much as it's rather under-exposed. And yeah, nothing of interest there anyway :) Your thoughtful feedback is greatly appreciated, Chuck!

Psjunkie wrote:Nicely done Linda....if anything I might like to see the furtherest back mountain darkened a touch, my thought is it might add some depth..nothing at all wrong with it as presented...
Thanks so much, Frank! I'll try that suggestion with "depth" in mind.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Interesting image. It's appealing in its softness and muted grays, like an old photograph. It could be Winter in Yakima 1950. More contrast would make it boring. It's nice just as it is.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2495
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 am

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks for your time!


Linda, I hope you drove to wherever you took this shot; I can't imagine hiking that high up before breakfast. I like the intimacy, privacy and closeness of the image even though it reaches forever. The place seems to belong only to you. A moment of meditation. And then, the gentle thrumming of the day begins as the smoke rises. A reminder that we live most of our lives in the middle ground, in shadows and mist, between light and dark. This moment evidently captured you. It reveals much; thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:27 pm

minniev wrote:Interesting image. It's appealing in its softness and muted grays, like an old photograph. It could be Winter in Yakima 1950. More contrast would make it boring. It's nice just as it is.
Thanks Minnie! I hadn't considered the "old photograph" element. Interesting to know!

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, I hope you drove to wherever you took this shot; I can't imagine hiking that high up before breakfast. I like the intimacy, privacy and closeness of the image even though it reaches forever. The place seems to belong only to you. A moment of meditation. And then, the gentle thrumming of the day begins as the smoke rises. A reminder that we live most of our lives in the middle ground, in shadows and mist, between light and dark. This moment evidently captured you. It reveals much; thank you. Matt
Thank you for your detailed impression, Matt! You felt much more than I did (at times I can express better, but not this one). But yes, I did drive to this spot, only a couple of miles from my apartment. Called "Scenic Drive," the road looks down onto the fog-filled lower areas in winter and has an unobstructed view of sunrise most months.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:35 am

I like it as is, but thought I'd add a crop. I hope you like it. S-
Attachments
1 PB040038-1bw-1.jpg
1 PB040038-1bw-1.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 481 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:55 pm

St3v3M wrote:I like it as is, but thought I'd add a crop. I hope you like it. S-


I'm not sure, I feel like I'm shooting more from an airplane with your perspective. Don't know why exactly, maybe because there's less to stand on :) Will ponder further. Thank you Steve, and please let me know what you prefer about the crop.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I'm not sure, I feel like I'm shooting more from an airplane with your perspective. Don't know why exactly, maybe because there's less to stand on :) Will ponder further. Thank you Steve, and please let me know what you prefer about the crop.

There's nothing wrong with yours but wondered if it would change the mood if we removed the dark area at the bottom. Always experimenting! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests