― Scapes CritiqueThe Chilterns (+ snow)

John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Chilterns (+ snow)

Post by John N » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am

A recent Winter walk led me me to this favourite spot of another dead tree. Another photographed by many and often posted on our Community site with varying degrees of success. Here's my take on it, comment as you see fit.
Maybe it'll make the January 2019 slot on a charity fundraising calendar the Community is proposing?

Colliers Lane (as it is known today) is thought to date back some 3 millenia and would have been an old herding route over the Chiltewrn Hills.
Attachments
snow.JPG
Colliers Lane

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 pm

John N wrote:... comment as you see fit.

Just so you are aware, if you want a critique please post in the Critique forums. Posting in the Showcase forums will likely just get you attaboys. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm

It's a beautiful scene with a great leading line and the Lone Tree that captures all of us. I read recently that of all landscape scenes, photos of Lone Trees are among the 5 best selling scenes and if I remember correctly, the only ones where the actual location doesn't really matter (doesn't have to be a famous photo hot spot). So you're likely to get a good response.

You've left the door open to all comments so I'll offer a few (even though this is the non-critique section). The harsh light steals some detail and causes some unusually intense blues in the top third of the image. These are easily malleable in post, and for me, this minor mitigation would make the image softer and let the tree shine more as the centerpiece. I'd be glad to post or send you an edit to demonstrate if you would like.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm

A beautiful day for a brisk walk!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:26 pm

I like it. I like it as is... But (since you've requested comment) I will risk adding that I see it as overall "printed down" a tad too much. If I had it in Lightroom, what would I do? I think the snow looks okay as is, leading lines are great, but I want to keep attention on yonder tree so I want to brighten it some. I don't mind the sky being polarizer dark, and from the long shadows the sun is well down (either rising or setting), but if I've used a graduated filter to dramatize the sky I may want to use a brush to erase the effect of the filter on the tree. I want to be careful to avoid haloing, but I think the tree needs to be brighter so it doesn't seem to disappear into that rich sky. LR-CC has that cool new masking thingy that might make it easier than brushing. Or if you have Photoshop or equivalent you can select the tree and raise its value with curves or whatever. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:53 pm

With permission, this topic has been brought into the Critique section. Feel free to offer constructive comments.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:14 am

I thought I'd give something a try, I hope you like it! S-
Attachments
snow-1.jpg
snow-1.jpg (450.39 KiB) Viewed 451 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Yes! For me that works much better. The tree is brighter and more detailed, and the symmetrical crop leaves no doubt what the subject is. The snow and sky remain the same, and that's fine now that the tree is brighter. Cut! Print! (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|