The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Scapes CritiqueWeather over water

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Weather over water

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 am

any thought appreciated.....
Attachments
20160815FGS_9263-Weather.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm

This is just beautiful, Frank. Great capture and rendition of the light beams. The subtlety of your processing is very appropriate, with plenty of contrast and tonalities, but not overemphasizing the details in the cloud structures - a perfect balance. This gives it a classic, almost painterly look. I'm a little undecided about the oil derricks. Yes they are there, and they mar the beauty, which is an excellent point to make with a beautiful seascape, but I'd (possibly) be tempted to eliminate the larger one and leave the other thing (boat or platform, not sure).

I do believe you have a slight downward slant towards the left.

When ready, print this one. This is your landscape wall-hanger.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:03 pm

My only objection to the "things" on the horizon is they are just large enough to catch my eye, and my curiosity forces me to zoom in to see what they are. Doing that distracts me from the overall impact of the image. I do like the strong contrasts of light and dark!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 pm

minniev wrote:I do believe you have a slight downward slant towards the left.
Absolutely correct about that...thank you for the detailed comments minniev.

LindaShorey wrote:My only objection to the "things" on the horizon is they are just large enough to catch my eye
I remember growing up as a kid not seeing any of these oil platforms, but in my lifetime they have been there longer than they have not, so for me it wouldn't look right without them Linda, but I do understand your sentiments and also minniev's….I guess now they are part of the scape if you will...thank you for comment.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Psjunkie wrote:I remember growing up as a kid not seeing any of these oil platforms, but in my lifetime they have been there longer than they have not, so for me it wouldn't look right without them Linda, but I do understand your sentiments and also minniev's…. I guess now they are part of the scape if you will...thank you for comment.

I agree with leaving them also. Yes, they are a little distracting but I think it's because of their ambiguity, at this scale, to someone not familiar with the scene. Without the rigs it would just be another nameless, mediocre seascape. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 pm

minniev wrote:This is just beautiful, Frank. Great capture and rendition of the light beams. The subtlety of your processing is very appropriate, with plenty of contrast and tonalities, but not overemphasizing the details in the cloud structures - a perfect balance. This gives it a classic, almost painterly look. I'm a little undecided about the oil derricks. Yes they are there, and they mar the beauty, which is an excellent point to make with a beautiful seascape, but I'd (possibly) be tempted to eliminate the larger one and leave the other thing (boat or platform, not sure). [...]

What she said...
LindaShorey wrote:My only objection to the "things" on the horizon is they are just large enough to catch my eye, and my curiosity forces me to zoom in to see what they are. Doing that distracts me from the overall impact of the image. I do like the strong contrasts of light and dark!

Her too.
I'm not lazy 'r'nuthin, it's just they said it first and better so why ===> :wall:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Psjunkie wrote:any thought appreciated.....

Really like the dark and brooding mood of this Frank. The oil rigs distract; my first reaction was Star Wars, whatever those big battlefield behemoths area called. I keep going back to them. And then back to the sun on the water so there is a clever narrative here. Well done. The tones on the water are superbly subtle; the soft rippling of the surface provides a very pleasant contrast to the bulbous enormity of the clouds. A keeper. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 am

Duck, thank you for comment...

Charles I appreciate your effort...

Matt, I have seen those behemoths and glad you found some interest in the image...

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:23 am

Psjunkie wrote:any thought appreciated.....

I like this for everything it is, I wish the derricks were a little more obvious, but they work and give the image a sort of mystery! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed it St3v3M..