― Scapes CritiqueCold Embrace

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Cold Embrace

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:28 am

Odd man out, here. I prefer your first post, Minnie, even though it seems a bit flat, but I suspect that is what happens when you take pictures during a snow storm. The bush was there, so it should stay, I believe. And the snow was falling, so it should continue to fall. More authentic that way. If the snow is falling, it masks the darkness of the trees, so increasing the contrast makes the scene look altered and unreal to me. One opinion. Since this scene won't be repeated for another four decades or so, all this is probably moot. But fun. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Graham Smith wrote:
minniev wrote:
Graham Smith wrote:I thought I might have a stab at this one Minnie.

I have increased the contrast, mostly by dodging & burning, and removed the plant in the bottom right corner.
Untitled-1.jpg

EDIT: Looking at it on here perhaps the snow could stand a bit more brightening ?

Thank you Graham, I like it! Yes, I was on the side of the swamp that's shadowed in the morning, so I do believe brightening is in order to get that dullness out, definitely in my version and perhaps in your improved version too.

The work on the snow would need to be subtle as the brightness could easily overpower the whole image.

Indeed - when pictures are taken in shade as this one was, it is hard for me to overcome the natural lighting entirely, I just mitigate (one of my favorite words :) )
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Odd man out, here. I prefer your first post, Minnie, even though it seems a bit flat, but I suspect that is what happens when you take pictures during a snow storm. The bush was there, so it should stay, I believe. And the snow was falling, so it should continue to fall. More authentic that way. If the snow is falling, it masks the darkness of the trees, so increasing the contrast makes the scene look altered and unreal to me. One opinion. Since this scene won't be repeated for another four decades or so, all this is probably moot. But fun. Matt

Thank you for sharing your view and your thought process. I want to alleviate a little of the flatness caused by the shadows and the shooting conditions, but as Graham admonished, avoid going too far. This swamp is in an old riverbed left behind 200 years ago when the river changed its course, so dawn comes to it late and on a deeply clouded gray day like this, it is pretty dark in there till late morning.

I have no qualms about removing something in post that I would never touch in real life, except when using them for contest images where edits are limited to color correction and cropping. But I'm still undecided about the little bush, and most folks know I am attached to the clutter I include in my images. Still, nothing prevents me from having multiple versions, the joy of digital!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:22 am

minniev wrote:Another snow image, bear with me as I enjoy this remarkable (for us) event.

I spent some time on this last night working between removing and keeping the little plant and decided I like it. A small bottom-up crop might do something of the same, but its what was there and I love everything about it. Is the tree still living lying on the ground like that? I must be beautiful in bloom! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Another snow image, bear with me as I enjoy this remarkable (for us) event.

I spent some time on this last night working between removing and keeping the little plant and decided I like it. A small bottom-up crop might do something of the same, but its what was there and I love everything about it. Is the tree still living lying on the ground like that? I must be beautiful in bloom! S-

I lean toward keeping the bush as an anchor, not for any purist reasons but because it seems to belong there compositionally (yeah, I keep too much). The tree leans, as does the swamp geisha in the earlier series, with the main roots sort of running along the drier part of the ground. It must have something to do with the swamp itself, and how the hardwoods must adapt to live there.