"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." —Samuel Beckett

― Scapes CritiqueWalk With Me

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Walk With Me

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Here I've tried a monochrome approach to the snow pictures, with a mix of softening and enhancing detail to see what it would do. The snow pictures will provide me with fun stuff to play with all winter even if we don't get another flake of the stuff!

I also have shots from further up the embankment, from sitting in the snow on the bridge and all in between if you have another idea about angle.
Attachments
walk (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Love it. GAW-juss. I don't know what else to say. B&W is just so perfect for this. I think Robert Frost. Title is also perfect and I want to walk right in provided am appropriately booted and spurred. (OK) (You SAT in it? Yeeeepers.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I have to agree with Chuck, this is gorgeous in its stark simplicity. One may even call this a textbook composition, it is so clean.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm right there beside you Minnie, and thank you for that! The strongest memory this image evokes is the silence that can accompany a soft snowfall. Fantastic impact in this.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Love it. GAW-juss. I don't know what else to say. B&W is just so perfect for this. I think Robert Frost. Title is also perfect and I want to walk right in provided am appropriately booted and spurred. (OK) (You SAT in it? Yeeeepers.)

Thank you Chuck. Yes, I cam back kinda cold and wet, but I didn't notice it till I got back in the truck, the magic had me till then. I always like photographing the little bridge due to its curve.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Duck wrote:I have to agree with Chuck, this is gorgeous in its stark simplicity. One may even call this a textbook composition, it is so clean.

Thank you Duck. The bridge lends itself to that, with its little curve, so when I saw the snow, I knew I wanted to shoot the bridge. Glad you think the processing is OK, it was experimental.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I'm right there beside you Minnie, and thank you for that! The strongest memory this image evokes is the silence that can accompany a soft snowfall. Fantastic impact in this.

Thanks Linda, and you're right about the silence. I was alone in the swamp, and it was utterly devoid of sound. Usually there's birds, frogs, crickets, squirrels. But this day I was shrouded in the white nothingness of the snow.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 am

minniev wrote:Here I've tried a monochrome approach to the snow pictures, with a mix of softening and enhancing detail to see what it would do. The snow pictures will provide me with fun stuff to play with all winter even if we don't get another flake of the stuff!

I also have shots from further up the embankment, from sitting in the snow on the bridge and all in between if you have another idea about angle.

Would love to take the stroll. And watch what you do. These stun me; scary what you would do if you lived in Colorado. Deft hand. Nothing to say other than superbly done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:Here I've tried a monochrome approach to the snow pictures, with a mix of softening and enhancing detail to see what it would do. The snow pictures will provide me with fun stuff to play with all winter even if we don't get another flake of the stuff!

Would love to take the stroll. And watch what you do. These stun me; scary what you would do if you lived in Colorado. Deft hand. Nothing to say other than superbly done. Matt

Thank you Matt. I've often wished I could live, at least for a while, in a really beautiful place (Banff! the Eastern Sierras! the Hebrides! the Maine coast!), and delve past the quick cursory run I have to make through these places when I can manage a short visit. I'm fairly thoroughly anchored here now, so I try to make the most of what's here. I confess it sometimes taxes my creativity though.

If I ever write a book, it will be titled "Bloom Where You're Planted: Outdoor Photography For The Rest Of Us" - and it will be about trying to coax something of interest out of uninspiring surroundings.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:51 pm

If I ever write a book, it will be titled "Bloom Where You're Planted: Outdoor Photography For The Rest Of Us" - and it will be about trying to coax something of interest out of uninspiring surroundings.

Minnie, I have lived in some gorgeous places -- the Philippine Islands, Montana, Virginia, Cape Cod -- and I always see them in memory as more beautiful than when I was there and regret not having taken more photos or not knowing then what I know now about photography. So, blooming in place is the best resolution, a la Duck, for the new year. Something about dancing with the one who brung you, I guess.

A professional photographer once told me that, in a college course, the instructor took them out into the woods, drew a four foot square for each student, and told them they had to take all their photos from that spot. After several visits of seeing the same scene, my friend finally realized to look under his shoes; a world awaited.

But I know what you mean: my father was born in Sligo, on the northwest coast of Ireland. I have visited there twice for a brief two days during business trips and have resolved to return for a month or more when I can wander at leisure or sit at leisure with a pint -- with camera, of course -- and breathe the air, soak the sun and capture the decisive moments. In the meantime, I try to be grateful for what I have and have been given and open my eyes to what's right in front of me. As you have; you model that for me. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange