minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Walk With Me

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Minnie, I have lived in some gorgeous places -- the Philippine Islands, Montana, Virginia, Cape Cod -- and I always see them in memory as more beautiful than when I was there and regret not having taken more photos or not knowing then what I know now about photography. So, blooming in place is the best resolution, a la Duck, for the new year. Something about dancing with the one who brung you, I guess.

A professional photographer once told me that, in a college course, the instructor took them out into the woods, drew a four foot square for each student, and told them they had to take all their photos from that spot. After several visits of seeing the same scene, my friend finally realized to look under his shoes; a world awaited.

But I know what you mean: my father was born in Sligo, on the northwest coast of Ireland. I have visited there twice for a brief two days during business trips and have resolved to return for a month or more when I can wander at leisure or sit at leisure with a pint -- with camera, of course -- and breathe the air, soak the sun and capture the decisive moments. In the meantime, I try to be grateful for what I have and have been given and open my eyes to what's right in front of me. As you have; you model that for me. Thanks. Matt

I've read of a similar activity by Freeman Patterson, a photographer/teacher I have great respect for. He throws hula hoops from his back door and has the students shoot from within them. His books are some of the best I've found on composition and just seeing.

I agree with you. Though my location is less than ideal for landscape photography (did you ever see an article in Outdoor Photography about a photoshoot in Mississippi? :D But yet, in these oddball and less than ideal locations, there is more opportunity to develop something creative and new. So let's carry on, shall we?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:37 am

've read of a similar activity by Freeman Patterson, a photographer/teacher I have great respect for. He throws hula hoops from his back door and has the students shoot from within them. His books are some of the best I've found on composition and just seeing.

I agree with you. Though my location is less than ideal for landscape photography (did you ever see an article in Outdoor Photography about a photoshoot in Mississippi? :D But yet, in these oddball and less than ideal locations, there is more opportunity to develop something creative and new. So let's carry on, shall we?

Carry on, indeed, Minnie. Since there has never been an Outdoor Photography shoot in MS, you have it all to yourself. Viz, the Dam Birds, Lady Geisha, the snow bridge, your hide-away, and on and on.

Freeman Patterson -- I will look into his work.

I had a moment today that gave me pause. I want to make a photo book of my '17 B&W photos, for myself and eventually our two sons, and began to review my Lightroom files. Over the course of the year, I would add to a collection some I thought were pretty good and possible candidates for inclusion. On review today, I found very few worthies and wondered what I found so thrilling back then. Discouraging. And enlightening. I may, instead, do The Best of the Decade, as things look now. But the year is not over ... yet. So, I may just print two or three and call it good or maybe good enough.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:'

Carry on, indeed, Minnie. Since there has never been an Outdoor Photography shoot in MS, you have it all to yourself. Viz, the Dam Birds, Lady Geisha, the snow bridge, your hide-away, and on and on.

Freeman Patterson -- I will look into his work.

I had a moment today that gave me pause. I want to make a photo book of my '17 B&W photos, for myself and eventually our two sons, and began to review my Lightroom files. Over the course of the year, I would add to a collection some I thought were pretty good and possible candidates for inclusion. On review today, I found very few worthies and wondered what I found so thrilling back then. Discouraging. And enlightening. I may, instead, do The Best of the Decade, as things look now. But the year is not over ... yet. So, I may just print two or three and call it good or maybe good enough.

Matt

I'm sure you can find enough to make a nice book, perhaps you should look deeper than the collection you chose all along. Your thoughts about what's your best work has likely changed through the year. Mine always does. I never make my collection till November because what I thought was good in February may not be a favorite any more and I may find a hidden jewel that I overlooked. Some of my favorites of yours? The set of the Italian couple on the beach (posted in the Other Place). They were quite exceptional, classic images, though you may not want strangers in your book. You've had some great beachscapes too.

I got several Freeman Patterson books used on Amazon for a couple of dollars, and found them the most helpful of all my books on composition and vision. They are older editions, and reference film photography but the principles are exactly the same.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm sure you can find enough to make a nice book, perhaps you should look deeper than the collection you chose all along. Your thoughts about what's your best work has likely changed through the year. Mine always does. I never make my collection till November because what I thought was good in February may not be a favorite any more and I may find a hidden jewel that I overlooked. Some of my favorites of yours? The set of the Italian couple on the beach (posted in the Other Place). They were quite exceptional, classic images, though you may not want strangers in your book. You've had some great beachscapes too.

I got several Freeman Patterson books used on Amazon for a couple of dollars, and found them the most helpful of all my books on composition and vision. They are older editions, and reference film photography but the principles are exactly the same.

Thanks Minnie. I began to think I would have to go back and troll through the months for what now seem keepers. I had forgotten about the Italian couple. Many thanks. And many thanks for your encouragement. I'll let you know what develops. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 am

I can hear the swamp all dresses in white holding its breath waiting to see what's next, from warm to dry to what's this, and the animals too.

I love this, and that you were the first to explore it too. The trail is so inviting, the air so cold, the scene so welcoming, and the snow falling! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 pm

St3v3M wrote:I can hear the swamp all dresses in white holding its breath waiting to see what's next, from warm to dry to what's this, and the animals too.

I love this, and that you were the first to explore it too. The trail is so inviting, the air so cold, the scene so welcoming, and the snow falling! S-

Thank you Steve. It was pure magic to be able to explore this wonderland alone, in that special silence that only comes with snow, before anyone else discovered it.