― Scapes CritiqueBlue Hour Swamp

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Blue Hour Swamp

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Had there been a sun yesterday, it would have been coming up soon after I shot this one. The early shots were very blue, and I adjusted for both blue hour and for snow. Still, it LOOKED blue out there that time of day, so I didn't want to get rid of all the blue tint. (Later in the morning things looked more black-anbd-white). I settled on a silvery blue for this set and welcome comments and edits particularly from those of you who know more about snow than I do. This is our first since 1982, which I shot with a kodak disposable. All comments on composition or anything else appreciated as well.
Attachments
swamp (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Well framed, well presented....some might say it's tight at the top but doesn't bother me...

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 pm

minniev wrote:Had there been a sun yesterday, it would have been coming up soon after I shot this one. The early shots were very blue, and I adjusted for both blue hour and for snow. Still, it LOOKED blue out there that time of day, so I didn't want to get rid of all the blue tint. (Later in the morning things looked more black-anbd-white). I settled on a silvery blue for this set and welcome comments and edits particularly from those of you who know more about snow than I do. This is our first since 1982, which I shot with a kodak disposable. All comments on composition or anything else appreciated as well.

Suitable for framing Minnie !!! Snow can be difficult where white balance is concerned, at least it has been for me. The blue in this shot represents (and others) the brisk cold weather and fits very well with the scenic view. I see another theme coming and a fine one at that.

We are just now today getting our first snow fall, but I don't expect much. I doubt very seriously if I will make an attempt, but I have changed my mind in the past.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:52 pm

As a kid I used to love watching Bob Ross on TV as he created these beautiful landscapes. As I look at this image I can picture it being one of his creations, or rather, the creation of his less-than-evil-but-slightly-askew twin with that, "happy little tree," being placed in a not-so-happily compromised position. :devil:

Bob Ross wrote:"I've put the color palette across the bottom of your screen so you can follow along; Liquid Black, Payne's Gray, Titanium White" :lol:

Overall I think you did a fantastic job, considering you were working against the light meter (snow and overcast atmosphere conditions).
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 am

Psjunkie wrote:Well framed, well presented....some might say it's tight at the top but doesn't bother me...

Thanks Frank. I can add a little up top if I need to, haven't decided yet.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 am

davechinn wrote:Suitable for framing Minnie !!! Snow can be difficult where white balance is concerned, at least it has been for me. The blue in this shot represents (and others) the brisk cold weather and fits very well with the scenic view. I see another theme coming and a fine one at that.

We are just now today getting our first snow fall, but I don't expect much. I doubt very seriously if I will make an attempt, but I have changed my mind in the past.
Dave

Gee thanks Dave, yeah since I see snow about 4 times per century, I don't get much practice :D

This location is actually the parking lot of the little league ball field. But it sits right beside this rather nice swamp, and it looked pretty good in the snow so I went for it. My first shots came out cobalt blue, and I knew I had to make adjustments but wasn't sure how much. It took some experimenting in camera, and then again in post, to get the silvery blue I remembered (rightly or wrongly).

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Duck wrote:As a kid I used to love watching Bob Ross on TV as he created these beautiful landscapes. As I look at this image I can picture it being one of his creations, or rather, the creation of his less-than-evil-but-slightly-askew twin with that, "happy little tree," being placed in a not-so-happily compromised position. :devil:

Bob Ross wrote:"I've put the color palette across the bottom of your screen so you can follow along; Liquid Black, Payne's Gray, Titanium White" :lol:

Overall I think you did a fantastic job, considering you were working against the light meter (snow and overcast atmosphere conditions).

Thank you Duck, snow is an anomaly to me - I see it occasionally when I vacation in the Rockies, up high, had had some snow in Iceland but that's a very different landscape than flat old Mississippi. I have learned a little about how to mitigate the WB issue in shooting and in PP but the challenge comes when I don't want to mitigate it completely - retain some of the blue tone but not the extreme.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Well, I think you did an excellent job. Over do it and snow can look gray and lifeless. As Dave said, this is definitely suitable for framing. :clap:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Well, I have seen more than enough real snow for one lifetime :) I think you did a fantastic job, Minnie. As with any light, if folks haven't seen blue-hour snow, they may reject or they may be intrigued. I personally love it. btw, when the sun is out, shadowed snow is extremely blue and I would see no reason to "mitigate."
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 am

Duck wrote:Well, I think you did an excellent job. Over do it and snow can look gray and lifeless. As Dave said, this is definitely suitable for framing. :clap:

thanks!