"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Scapes CritiqueBlue Hour Swamp

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2856
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Blue Hour Swamp

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 am

LindaShorey wrote:Well, I have seen more than enough real snow for one lifetime :) I think you did a fantastic job, Minnie. As with any light, if folks haven't seen blue-hour snow, they may reject or they may be intrigued. I personally love it. btw, when the sun is out, shadowed snow is extremely blue and I would see no reason to "mitigate."

thanks Linda. Yes, I have been called on the blue-sky snow before - a mountain shot with a bright blue sky that painted the snow a rather striking blue. I was intrigued with it, but was largely encouraged to mitigate the blue.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 am

Minnie, I think I may have mentioned this to you sometime in the past, but the swamp images you have displayed here recently are superb and would look fantastic in a large print. I can imagine seeing them on display in a local hotel chain's lobby and/or rooms. Have you ever considered to approach your local hotels with that idea?
Dave

User avatar
Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 3:13 pm
Location: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, UK
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Graham Smith » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 pm

This is superb Minnie. It has a real cold feel to it. you pitched the blue tint perfectly.

I've had to put another sweater on :lol:
Graham

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2856
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:49 pm

davechinn wrote:Minnie, I think I may have mentioned this to you sometime in the past, but the swamp images you have displayed here recently are superb and would look fantastic in a large print. I can imagine seeing them on display in a local hotel chain's lobby and/or rooms. Have you ever considered to approach your local hotels with that idea?
Dave


Gee thanks Dave. No, I have never approached hotels, or other commercial locations, but that is an idea. I may need to make a little portfolio of swamp shots like I have for the dam birds!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2856
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Graham Smith wrote:This is superb Minnie. It has a real cold feel to it. you pitched the blue tint perfectly.

I've had to put another sweater on :lol:


Thank you Graham! Stay warm! It's already warmed up to the 60s here. Our flirtation with snow was very brief.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 am
Location: Las Vegas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 am

I love this image. It is very emotive and carries its story well. One can not view it with out feeling that winter is indeed coming and with it all the consequences of death and renewal
Technically I love that you have used a hyper focal distance technique (intentional or not it works) to provide the illusion of a very deep depth of view in the image. The one drawback I see to it is that tonally it is perhaps just a little muddy. Providing a bit more distance between the darks and the lights and enhancing the edge sharpness can make a subtle but significant difference in the final image. As far as blue, I think the blue tones could be safely enhanced a little to futher carry the story of how cold it was. Afterall blue is a significant portion of white. While we tend to think of white as colorless it is anything but. Undertones created by the environment and the colortemperature of the prevailing light have a significant impact on white. Thus the whole reason we white balance our cameras.

For this image since your profile says you are ok with edits I have made a side by side comparison with some minor edits that I think are very subtle but have a strong imapct on the final look of the image.

Here is what I did, I know you said you do not have Photoshop but again I can not reiterate the real value of the program to those who want to get serious about their photography.

I copied your web res image from this post and pasted it into a blank document in Photoshop . I then created a duplicate layer (protecting the original > I then adjusted the levels of the duplicate layer, bringing the white pint about 20 points to the left and then pulled the mid tones down another 10 points to darken them a little more > Now I duplicate the layer again and applied a high pass filter to the layer > converted the layer to Soft Light > The final edit was to boost the blues, I opened the color hue/saturation tool and made individual adjustments to the blue and cyan channels. How much to adjust the blue is a personal choice and one that you would make based on how blue the scene actually looked to you.
Attachments
blue swamp side by side.jpg

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2856
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 am

Bobby Deal wrote:I love this image. It is very emotive and carries its story well. One can not view it with out feeling that winter is indeed coming and with it all the consequences of death and renewal
Technically I love that you have used a hyper focal distance technique (intentional or not it works) to provide the illusion of a very deep depth of view in the image. The one drawback I see to it is that tonally it is perhaps just a little muddy. Providing a bit more distance between the darks and the lights and enhancing the edge sharpness can make a subtle but significant difference in the final image. As far as blue, I think the blue tones could be safely enhanced a little to futher carry the story of how cold it was. Afterall blue is a significant portion of white. While we tend to think of white as colorless it is anything but. Undertones created by the environment and the colortemperature of the prevailing light have a significant impact on white. Thus the whole reason we white balance our cameras.

For this image since your profile says you are ok with edits I have made a side by side comparison with some minor edits that I think are very subtle but have a strong imapct on the final look of the image.

Here is what I did, I know you said you do not have Photoshop but again I can not reiterate the real value of the program to those who want to get serious about their photography.

I copied your web res image from this post and pasted it into a blank document in Photoshop . I then created a duplicate layer (protecting the original > I then adjusted the levels of the duplicate layer, bringing the white pint about 20 points to the left and then pulled the mid tones down another 10 points to darken them a little more > Now I duplicate the layer again and applied a high pass filter to the layer > converted the layer to Soft Light > The final edit was to boost the blues, I opened the color hue/saturation tool and made individual adjustments to the blue and cyan channels. How much to adjust the blue is a personal choice and one that you would make based on how blue the scene actually looked to you.


Thank you so much, Bobby for the detailed feedback. And I always enjoy seeing what others would do with my images; even though using a web-sized version has its drawbacks, much can be learned from seeing through others' eyes.

I shot with the settings I had to have in the light I was given. M43 is more forgiving of large apertures than other formats, provided we pay attention to where we're focusing. I've got surprisingly decent images at f.1.8. This is a blessing for landscapers because high ISO is NOT forgiving. All systems have their tradeoffs.

I liked the effect of the high pass filter with the slight adjustment in tonalities, and was able to easily duplicate that following your steps (? I wouldn't have said I don't have photoshop, I have had PS for years though I still have much to learn about it).I did reduce the opacity of that layer to mitigate the effect some. In this case, it gave an illusion of sharpness, more drama in that dead tree and brought out the detail of the falling snow, which I like.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Though I could see some extra drama with more intense blues, after experimenting, I am inclined to leave it at about the level it is, with more of the silvery effect. The blues didn't set well with the muddy swamp bottom which veered towards purple/magenta.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 am
Location: Las Vegas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 am

Yes High Pass is a very useful tool and it is a sharpening too. By changing the layer blend modes you can get a huge range of effects from it. In looking at the post above I can see that the re-compression has really boosted the blue I added, on my system prior to upload it was at about 50% of that density.

I have adjusted it to compensate for the additional jpg compression so lets see if this is not closer to what I had in mind

SO now I am wondering who it was that told me recently that they did not use Photoshop that I confused with you.

I am glad you do use it because this is the style of critique I prefer to offer. One where not only do you read what the reviewer thinks but also one that gives you the visual result as well as the step by step so you can recreate the results if yo like them.
Attachments
blue swamp side by side 2.jpg

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm wearing a sweater and I don't think it's enough, burr I feel the cold!

This is presented well and wouldn't be as good without the leaning tree. I love that you can see the falling snow! Wow it looks cold. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2856
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:Yes High Pass is a very useful tool and it is a sharpening too. By changing the layer blend modes you can get a huge range of effects from it. In looking at the post above I can see that the re-compression has really boosted the blue I added, on my system prior to upload it was at about 50% of that density.

I have adjusted it to compensate for the additional jpg compression so lets see if this is not closer to what I had in mind

SO now I am wondering who it was that told me recently that they did not use Photoshop that I confused with you.

I am glad you do use it because this is the style of critique I prefer to offer. One where not only do you read what the reviewer thinks but also one that gives you the visual result as well as the step by step so you can recreate the results if yo like them.

Yes, this is better, the purples are tamed! The hazards of working with a compressed jpeg - it gives the idea but not the finished product and there can be surprises :)

That is more like what I ended up with. I still didn't go this far into the blues, though. Of course that falls into the realm of preference, and with this image I was looking for a more subdued color expression.

Yes, I do like critiques that explain what was done, there is always an opportunity to learn something new or different. You gave me a little different approach to the high pass filter, which I use occasionally but perhaps need to learn more about. I tend to be more of a plug in user for those kinds of effects, grabbing a layer from the plug in and blending/masking that layer into my PS stack to apply as/where I want. Frank (PSjunkie here) uses PS high pass a lot and often shows me things he's done with my images using high pass. An online community at its best lets us learn from one another.

Thanks again for taking the time to demonstrate and explain, and even revisit the demo!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest