"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Scapes CritiqueSwamp Child & His Guardians

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Swamp Child & His Guardians

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Two Swamp Child images taken on different gloomy mornings from different angles but processed similarly in a way that should've sent them to the Artistic Expressions category (I'm rarely sure about this). All comments and suggestions (and edits) are always welcome, as I explore a way to show this little cypress I'm watching grow up in the swamp, surrounded by his elders. and always dressed in his Sunday Best between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He is the strongest-looking of the half-dozen young cypresses that are growing in the little swamp. Drought conditions have been hard on the young ones, but he is thriving still, partly due to being in the deepest "wet spot" there.
Attachments
gloom (1 of 1)-2.jpg
gloom (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I like that first image especially. I like how the fore ground leaves wrap around the tree and leads the eye to the child. Lots of nice depth in that image. Also, I think portrait mode appropriate for the subjects here, they feel more personal.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't see any heavy manipulation here. This is the category.

You have another nice theme going on here. Personally, I'd like to see a little more contrast between the firery colors and the rest, but I have a preference for contrasts.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like that first image especially. I like how the fore ground leaves wrap around the tree and leads the eye to the child. Lots of nice depth in that image. Also, I think portrait mode appropriate for the subjects here, they feel more personal.

Thanks Piet. This perch is new for me this year, compliments of the drought that left a series of not-too-boggy humps I can navigate to get closer to Swamp Child.

I have leaned toward portrait mode, too, because of the shapes of the guardians. But I'm always experimenting...

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Duck wrote:I don't see any heavy manipulation here. This is the category.

You have another nice theme going on here. Personally, I'd like to see a little more contrast between the firery colors and the rest, but I have a preference for contrasts.

The manipulation is fairly heavy so I'm glad it doesn't show as much as I'd feared. I try to keep my artful fiddling subtle in most cases.

I'd sure like your thoughts on how to bring out that contrast a little more. I worked on that very thing quite a bit, (HSL sliders, color adjustments in both LR and PS, color and contrast adjustments stacked with layers/masks, that kind of stuff) but am not sure exactly how to go further with it. Thanks!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:49 pm

minniev wrote:I'd sure like your thoughts on how to bring out that contrast a little more. I worked on that very thing quite a bit, (HSL sliders, color adjustments in both LR and PS, color and contrast adjustments stacked with layers/masks, that kind of stuff) but am not sure exactly how to go further with it. Thanks!

Curves adjustment. Can be done in just about any editing program. 1/3 down the curve (lights) pull up just a touch, 1/3 up the curve (shadows) pull down just a touch. You should have a nice small "S" curve. That will boost your overall contrast. Increase saturation in the reds, oranges and yellows to bring out the fall colors and your on the way. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 pm

I get very different feelings from these and it's a fascinating exercise to compare. #1 is claustrophobic and I think of the trees as menacing bullies, closing in the baby, choking off its light and life. #2 is an extended family, all pulling to shelter and nurture the young 'un :)

I also prefer #2 for the wider story that stresses how unique it is to find a young tree here.

Great pairing of shots for stimulating thought!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I get very different feelings from these and it's a fascinating exercise to compare. #1 is claustrophobic and I think of the trees as menacing bullies, closing in the baby, choking off its light and life. #2 is an extended family, all pulling to shelter and nurture the young 'un :)

I also prefer #2 for the wider story that stresses how unique it is to find a young tree here.

Great pairing of shots for stimulating thought!

Thank you Linda. The wider view here is my usual view of the little fellow, and how I've watched him grow up so I am kinda partial to that view whether in landscape or portrait format, The first one is a closer approach I've never had before so I like it for its rarity, but like you, I favor the one that shows the protective guardians with arms raised above him.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 pm

minniev wrote:Two Swamp Child images taken on different gloomy mornings from different angles but processed similarly in a way that should've sent them to the Artistic Expressions category (I'm rarely sure about this). All comments and suggestions (and edits) are always welcome, as I explore a way to show this little cypress I'm watching grow up in the swamp, surrounded by his elders. and always dressed in his Sunday Best between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He is the strongest-looking of the half-dozen young cypresses that are growing in the little swamp. Drought conditions have been hard on the young ones, but he is thriving still, partly due to being in the deepest "wet spot" there.

Minnie, I wouldn't change a thing with either one. Absolutely love the color tone and the softness is extraordinarily fabulous !!!
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 am

davechinn wrote:
minniev wrote:Two Swamp Child images taken on different gloomy mornings from different angles but processed similarly in a way that should've sent them to the Artistic Expressions category (I'm rarely sure about this). All comments and suggestions (and edits) are always welcome, as I explore a way to show this little cypress I'm watching grow up in the swamp, surrounded by his elders. and always dressed in his Sunday Best between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He is the strongest-looking of the half-dozen young cypresses that are growing in the little swamp. Drought conditions have been hard on the young ones, but he is thriving still, partly due to being in the deepest "wet spot" there.

Minnie, I wouldn't change a thing with either one. Absolutely love the color tone and the softness is extraordinarily fabulous !!!
Dave

Thank you Dave, glad you liked 'em.