“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Scapes CritiqueA Timid Firetree

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A Timid Firetree

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:This tree has exhibited an entirely new behavior this year. For 10 years, it has quietly dropped its leaves before they changed any color other than green. Something has persuaded our trees to show off little more this year, but this one has outdone herself. Still she is elusive. I could not approach her closely enough from any side to get a clear shot, and she seemed to move away from me as I trudged through the foggy swamp this morning, hiding behind cypress and tupelo. I made some shots of her travels, here's one developed in a somewhat unorthodox way. You may see more of her later. All suggestions appreciated, I have shots from every side but alas none where I got her to come out from behind her friends. I couldn't even get a leaf to identify her, so I made up a name for her.

Minnie, Linda wrote Asian. I see the same. "Modest" and "shy" Japanese geisha behind her fan. To be admired only from afar. Behind her guardian trees. Superb. Thank you. Matt

Thank you Matt for a beautiful analogy that fits in with my own experience of this tree/scene.

(And I'm quite sure Piet doesn't mind being mistaken for Linda. I get mistaken for Linda all the time and consider it a compliment).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm

LOL - exactly right Min - I have never looked so good. Matt, "modest and shy behind her fan" says is beautifully!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:08 am

minniev wrote:For anyone still hanging around the firetree, ...

I thought I knew all your secrets and there she goes showing off for the old gods and the children of the forest. She really is magnificent in all her glory, firey and delicate in one. It's a mystery how your able to coax the beauty out of things waiting to be seen that everyone else passes by, but an inspiration to us and a lesson in seeing the unseen. The processing is surreal and welcoming all the same and another attribute to your art. Wow, absolutely wow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 am

When I saw this autumn photo and then the winter one it reminded me of a project a local camera club does with their members called "Four Seasons". Members pick a few locations they are bound to return to throughout the year and choose a spot to set up and shoot. They record all the particulars of the shot (camera settings, lens, location) so when they return they can easily set up on the same spot (relatively) to get the same image but at a different time of year. By the end of the year they will have four similar images of a scene showing all four seasons. Some arrange them as a series while some will collage them into a grid. I think I would do something like this... (done with Minnie's permission)

Geisha-in-two-seasons.jpg

Thanks for letting me play with this.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:57 am

Digging this Minnie.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:41 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:For anyone still hanging around the firetree, ...

I thought I knew all your secrets and there she goes showing off for the old gods and the children of the forest. She really is magnificent in all her glory, firey and delicate in one. It's a mystery how your able to coax the beauty out of things waiting to be seen that everyone else passes by, but an inspiration to us and a lesson in seeing the unseen. The processing is surreal and welcoming all the same and another attribute to your art. Wow, absolutely wow! S-

You're way too kind. The color knocked me out, but I had to settle for an angle less than textbook. Glad it worked for you and wish she'd put on this show a week before, when you could've helped me chase her down!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Duck wrote:When I saw this autumn photo and then the winter one it reminded me of a project a local camera club does with their members called "Four Seasons". Members pick a few locations they are bound to return to throughout the year and choose a spot to set up and shoot. They record all the particulars of the shot (camera settings, lens, location) so when they return they can easily set up on the same spot (relatively) to get the same image but at a different time of year. By the end of the year they will have four similar images of a scene showing all four seasons. Some arrange them as a series while some will collage them into a grid. I think I would do something like this... (done with Minnie's permission)

Geisha-in-two-seasons.jpg

Thanks for letting me play with this.

And thank you Duck for taking the time to play with my images in this creative way. At Linda's suggestion I'm going to look for a green summer version. I had thought of a triptych version but not of actual blending like this into a single image. I'm intrigued and challenged!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Digging this Minnie.

Thank you so much!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 am

Duck wrote:When I saw this autumn photo and then the winter one it reminded me of a project a local camera club does with their members called "Four Seasons". ...

WOW! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"