― Scapes Critique'A River Runs Through It'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'A River Runs Through It'

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:00 pm

This was taken somewhere in Yellowstone National Park. It image reminds me of the movie, hence the title. Comments and suggestions welcomed.
Dave
Attachments
A River Runs Through It DEC_3373w.jpg
'A River Runs Through It'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm

I like the image Mr. Chinn, well composed for me...I would suggest a darkening of the mist along the tree line edges, for me the lightness is a bit too strong and draws my eye. Simple fix with a new layer set to darken, use the clone stamp tool and sample the nearest mountain above the trees, paint and sample as needed then reduce opacity if necessary....probably just preaching to the choir but maybe someone else is unaware......

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I'd be tempted to remove the second person as his body position is a little distracting (peering down at whatever in his hand). If he is gone, then I'm better able to feel the "at one with nature" and "small human in an awe-inspiring wilderness." The layers - foreground, middle, distance - are so successful here. Love the composition!

Also appreciate psjunkie's pp tip. I wonder if it produces a similar result as one I learned: use overlay blend mode with a soft brush, and just the standard black/white (white for lightening/dodging, black for darkening/burning) at very low opacity. It would sure be easier - in my mind - if there were only one right way to do a specific pp action :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 am

Psjunkie wrote:I like the image Mr. Chinn, well composed for me...I would suggest a darkening of the mist along the tree line edges, for me the lightness is a bit too strong and draws my eye. Simple fix with a new layer set to darken, use the clone stamp tool and sample the nearest mountain above the trees, paint and sample as needed then reduce opacity if necessary....probably just preaching to the choir but maybe someone else is unaware......

Frank your suggestion is a good one and I may give it a try, but actually, I like the mist and I have eliminated certain objects in the past. Where I have doubt is the mist extends all the way to the top of the image. Removing the mist may give it an unbalanced/unnatural look. I don't see an issue with your suggestion if it will improve the image, just haven't made a decision. Thanks for the suggestion, it does give me something to consider.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:04 am

LindaShorey wrote:I'd be tempted to remove the second person as his body position is a little distracting (peering down at whatever in his hand). If he is gone, then I'm better able to feel the "at one with nature" and "small human in an awe-inspiring wilderness." The layers - foreground, middle, distance - are so successful here. Love the composition!

Also appreciate psjunkie's pp tip. I wonder if it produces a similar result as one I learned: use overlay blend mode with a soft brush, and just the standard black/white (white for lightening/dodging, black for darkening/burning) at very low opacity. It would sure be easier - in my mind - if there were only one right way to do a specific pp action :)

Linda, your tempted suggestion is a success. I never gave any thought to removing that person, but since I have, I do see an improvement. I haven't made a decision as of yet to remove the mist, or tone it down some, but I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do a specific action in post processing. Now there may be an easier way to perform a task but in the end I don't think it matters as long as the end results are a success. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave
Attachments
A River Runs Through It DEC_3373aw.jpg
'A River Runs Through It' (revised)

David Alan Harvey

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:00 pm

davechinn wrote:Linda, your tempted suggestion is a success. I never gave any thought to removing that person, but since I have, I do see an improvement. I haven't made a decision as of yet to remove the mist, or tone it down some, but I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do a specific action in post processing. Now there may be an easier way to perform a task but in the end I don't think it matters as long as the end results are a success. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

Neat! You know what I see now, though? What appears to be a couple of sensor dust spots near the top. The one on right might be a tree, but not sure about the centered ones (plus a few specks of birds?).

As for mist, my current weather is "ice fog!" I will try to take a pic when near dawn and we can compare :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm

I do like the second version (minus fisherman #2) best, and think it's a really nice composition. I can feel the flow of the river, and I know where it was likely taken (Lamar Valley), and what it feels like to be there. You've done a good job conveying the feel of fly fishing on the Yellowstone, in one of the least photographed but very beautiful sections of the park. Love the layers in this composition leading from water through trees and finally the mountains hiding in the misty background.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:26 pm

minniev wrote:I do like the second version (minus fisherman #2) best, and think it's a really nice composition. I can feel the flow of the river, and I know where it was likely taken (Lamar Valley), and what it feels like to be there. You've done a good job conveying the feel of fly fishing on the Yellowstone, in one of the least photographed but very beautiful sections of the park. Love the layers in this composition leading from water through trees and finally the mountains hiding in the misty background.

Thanks Minnie !!! I agree, the second version is much better, thanks to Linda's suggestion that I never considered.

I went back through my photos of before and after this particular roadside stop and traced our route to determine the location. Come to find out it was not Lamar Valley, but an unnamed road near Moran, Wyoming, on U.S. 191 along Snake River while on our way to Jackson Hole. I actually captured a couple of ladies fishing from the other direction which is a silhouette that I will post later. If it were not for your inquiry/interest, I may never have searched for the location. The satellite view is best for viewing rather than the map view. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unnam ... 3525b7d3f8
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
davechinn wrote:Linda, your tempted suggestion is a success. I never gave any thought to removing that person, but since I have, I do see an improvement. I haven't made a decision as of yet to remove the mist, or tone it down some, but I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do a specific action in post processing. Now there may be an easier way to perform a task but in the end I don't think it matters as long as the end results are a success. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

Neat! You know what I see now, though? What appears to be a couple of sensor dust spots near the top. The one on right might be a tree, but not sure about the centered ones (plus a few specks of birds?).

As for mist, my current weather is "ice fog!" I will try to take a pic when near dawn and we can compare :)

Linda, yes there appears to be a couple of sensor dust spots that I didn't see. However, the black specks are indeed birds, which I had to take a closer look prior to posting for that determination and I still missed the dust spots.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 am

Except for the slight lean to the right, how do you improve upon perfection? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"