“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

― Scapes CritiqueLong Exposure Experiment

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Long Exposure Experiment

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm

davechinn wrote:Minnie, I love this image. The color tone is spot on beautiful. I would have liked to see the pier a little more off center, though. For me to get a better understanding I would like to question the process for clarification. The long shutter speed would have smoothed out the water naturally along with the clouds. The dark ND filter used was so the sunrise wouldn't be blown out with over exposure because of the long shutter speed? I know I have had issues with long shutter speeds and one area of the photo would be overexposed and other areas underexposed. If that is the case, then maybe I need a dark variable neutral density filter.
Dave

Thank you Dave,glad you liked it. This pier is a little tricky to work with but I will try some with it more de-centered next time I do this experiment. Yes, the long shutter (about 30-40 seconds if I remember correctly) was to get the water flattened out, but looking right into the sunrise, I'd have blown the sky and the water too without the ND filter. The filter is a 10 stop one, something I haven't had long and haven't learned well, so there's lots of experimenting when I work with it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Love it! Peaceful, easy feelin'. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Love it! Peaceful, easy feelin'. (OK)

Thank you Chuck!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:33 pm

I have to confess to sharing this sunrise with a good friend and know what the mysterious blob is, it's a flock of Starlings. There were several of them coming at us in the early hours of the morning and if you look at the image at 500% or more you can start to see them coming into view. It was magnificent to see that many at once but I wished I had seen them dance across the sky in their unique way. Another time perhaps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:54 pm

St3v3M wrote:I have to confess to sharing this sunrise with a good friend and know what the mysterious blob is, it's a flock of Starlings. There were several of them coming at us in the early hours of the morning and if you look at the image at 500% or more you can start to see them coming into view. It was magnificent to see that many at once but I wished I had seen them dance across the sky in their unique way. Another time perhaps! S-

I had forgot about the starlings!

(BTW. I'd love to see your version of this scene - when you get around to it, I hope you'll add it)