― Scapes CritiqueLong Exposure Experiment

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Long Exposure Experiment

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 pm

I don't usually do this kind of stuff but here goes. Some of you will recognize my local pier, in sunrise light. This time I used a very dark ND filter to smoothe out the water. All feedback appreciated.
Attachments
water (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Mike D
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Mike D » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 pm

I have to go with ‘smashing success’. You accomplished what you set out to do and the lighting on the pier is great. The upcoming sun made for some very nice orange tones without being excessive anywhere in the image.

Print and hang.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Mike D wrote:I have to go with ‘smashing success’. You accomplished what you set out to do and the lighting on the pier is great. The upcoming sun made for some very nice orange tones without being excessive anywhere in the image.

Print and hang.

Thank you kindly Mike. I wish I'd had a bit of fog to make it more interesting, but I'll try again.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:20 pm

The perspective and subject are not uncommon in fine art photos, but yours is highly successful IMO for the technique you used to achieve, for the processing and that absolutely gorgeous sky.

I think I see a sensor dust spot just above the trees near right side. Were you interested in perfect symmetry of the dock? Seems to be an extra post on left. Of no issue to me personally as I love the placement of the sun within the frame just as-is.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Yeah, I spotted the spot too. :-)

Interesting you should mention the symmetry, Linda. As mentioned, this is an often duplicated motif in art photography and I agree the off center works in this image to counterbalance the sun's position and its relative brightness to the rest of the scene. This composition really works well with the left to right reading arrangements of the elements. The even distribution of orange all the ways across the horizon is a wonderful part of what makes this image so appealing. It mirrors the land formation on the other side. I also like the fact that it is not so soft that you loose definition in the clouds too. I do get a sense of some lingering fog. It is present there so I can only imagine how intense it would look with a nice layer over the whole of the bay.

Very nicely done. Personally, I would like to see just a touch more detail on the end of the pier so that it balances the luminance of the water a bit more. By maybe a 1/3 stop ( ? ), though not critical.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The perspective and subject are not uncommon in fine art photos, but yours is highly successful IMO for the technique you used to achieve, for the processing and that absolutely gorgeous sky.

I think I see a sensor dust spot just above the trees near right side. Were you interested in perfect symmetry of the dock? Seems to be an extra post on left. Of no issue to me personally as I love the placement of the sun within the frame just as-is.

Thanks Linda. Gee, don't know how I missed that spot, should be easy fix .

No I was not trying for perfect symmetry, I usually shoot this dock with a little imbalance just because it seems less boring that way. It isn't really balanced in real life anyway.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Duck wrote:Yeah, I spotted the spot too. :-)

Interesting you should mention the symmetry, Linda. As mentioned, this is an often duplicated motif in art photography and I agree the off center works in this image to counterbalance the sun's position and its relative brightness to the rest of the scene. This composition really works well with the left to right reading arrangements of the elements. The even distribution of orange all the ways across the horizon is a wonderful part of what makes this image so appealing. It mirrors the land formation on the other side. I also like the fact that it is not so soft that you loose definition in the clouds too. I do get a sense of some lingering fog. It is present there so I can only imagine how intense it would look with a nice layer over the whole of the bay.

Very nicely done. Personally, I would like to see just a touch more detail on the end of the pier so that it balances the luminance of the water a bit more. By maybe a 1/3 stop ( ? ), though not critical.

Thank you Duck. I agree about the need for more detail in that distant railing- maybe next time! I was worried about the dust spot so backtracked to check and thankfully it wasn't on any of the other exposures, long or short, so I can guess it was a bird. Several other efforts have blobs on the railings that I know were birds who moved either too much or not enough. Yes, there was a morning lake fog, just a little bit, and that was what motivated me to try this, hopefully one of these days we'll have a "real" fog for me to experiment with.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:54 am

minniev wrote:... I was worried about the dust spot so backtracked to check and thankfully it wasn't on any of the other exposures, long or short, so I can guess it was a bird. Several other efforts have blobs on the railings that I know were birds who moved either too much or not enough. ...

I'm confused, are you talking about the same spot Linda and I saw? Here's what we noticed...
Spot.jpg
Spot.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 297 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote:... I was worried about the dust spot so backtracked to check and thankfully it wasn't on any of the other exposures, long or short, so I can guess it was a bird. Several other efforts have blobs on the railings that I know were birds who moved either too much or not enough. ...

I'm confused, are you talking about the same spot Linda and I saw? Here's what we noticed...
Spot.jpg

Yup, thats the blob :D . It must not be sensor dust since it isn't in any of the others with the same settings or different ones, which was a relief to me. It's either a blurred bird or a smudge on the lens or ND filter that i wiped off before the next shot. The birds in this series looked like blobs. Even when birds are sitting still they are moving.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Minnie, I love this image. The color tone is spot on beautiful. I would have liked to see the pier a little more off center, though. For me to get a better understanding I would like to question the process for clarification. The long shutter speed would have smoothed out the water naturally along with the clouds. The dark ND filter used was so the sunrise wouldn't be blown out with over exposure because of the long shutter speed? I know I have had issues with long shutter speeds and one area of the photo would be overexposed and other areas underexposed. If that is the case, then maybe I need a dark variable neutral density filter.
Dave