― Scapes Critique'Watching the Wheels'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Watching the Wheels'

Post by davechinn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm one that loves just about everything of the old west and the open range. We stopped at 1880 TOWN-SOUTH DAKOTA'S ORIGINAL while on our way to Yellowstone this past August. This is one of many I took while there and wished we had gotten there earlier in the day. The saloon was closed and among other things we may have missed, no gunfight reenactments but they had a very nice memorabilia display from the movie "Dances with Wolves". Browsing around trying to come up with a variety ideas for different point of view images and also some shots to use for future composites. This happens to be one I came up with and wondering if the point of view and composition works or not. Comments and any suggestions welcomed.
Attachments
Watching the Wheel DEC_3039w.jpg
'Watching the Wheels'

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:57 pm

This is really interesting, Dave! I love the single piece of grass, the textures of the wheel and its condition. When I enlarge the screen enough to see to type, the resulting crop of the image is more interesting to me; it cuts off an inch or more of the right side so that the wheel curves right into the edge. The other thing I wonder about: that appears to be a handicap ramp in the background because of its slope. I wonder about getting rid of the railing?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:12 am

I understand Linda's stance on the railing, I think you should make the vertical wall of the first building left straight and look your spokes over for some haloing.....composition and dof is appealing to me Mr. Chinn....

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:22 am

LindaShorey wrote:This is really interesting, Dave! I love the single piece of grass, the textures of the wheel and its condition. When I enlarge the screen enough to see to type, the resulting crop of the image is more interesting to me; it cuts off an inch or more of the right side so that the wheel curves right into the edge. The other thing I wonder about: that appears to be a handicap ramp in the background because of its slope. I wonder about getting rid of the railing?

Thanks Linda, I appreciate your assessment and may go back to crop. I see what you mean about the railing, but after taking a look at other images it appears to be the norm. I don't think it was a handicap ramp, but I did see it prior to posting and decided to leave it as part of the scene.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 am

Psjunkie wrote:I understand Linda's stance on the railing, I think you should make the vertical wall of the first building left straight and look your spokes over for some haloing.....composition and dof is appealing to me Mr. Chinn....

Thanks Frank. This one was a little difficult to determine what was straight verses whats not. However, I did use my guide lines to determine the correct level of the main building (Wells Fargo) and the stage coach. Since that portion of the picture is level, I think to level the building you mention would throw everything else off. Although, I suppose I could do some cloning, but I don't feel its necessary for the fact it doesn't bother me. Haloing has always been an issue with me and if the haloing is not very noticeable, I write it off as reflection.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

I like the unique perspective and upfront and personal point of view. The sharpness is amazing and that single blade of grass is perfect! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 am

KUDOS Dave for framing the rest of the scene in the wreckage of that wonderful wheel. I think it's a great shot but also mostly agree with the other remarks. I'm glad you converted and sepia toned it for authenticity. I wasn't bothered by the railing; I assumed it was a hitching rail.

An aside: about half a mile north on SD-63 past 1880 Town is Belvidere East KOA, one of our regular stops, three times at least, maybe four! But in all that time we never went into 1880 town! But every time we passed in either direction we were cheered by this ==> ImageA Girl and Her Allosaur (Walkin' West) by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

This odd couple is walking westbound on the westbound side of I-90 about 2,000 feet from the 1880 Town exit (170). I don't know if the sculpture is part of 1880 Town (it may not be) but we love it! Our DIL Erin at that time was studying paleontology and working out at the Dinosaur Center in tiny wide-spot-in-the-road Bynum, Montana (she changed her major to hydrogeology but she will always love dinosaurs). :D Small world!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:02 am

Charles Haacker wrote:... in either direction we were cheered by this ==> ImageA Girl and Her Allosaur (Walkin' West) by Charles Haacker, on Flickr ...

Love the image! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"