Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Subdued Sunset in Mt. Tremblant Park

Postby minniev » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 pm

We weren't gifted with pretty orange and red sunsets in Quebec, but did get a purple and yellow one this day. This was taken at the point where we got off on the Road From Hell, where we were serenaded by wolves. Comments, edits, crops all appreciated. I am always looking for foreground elements and was excited to find a lake I could walk right up to - until I found the strange apparatus they'd made from that orange plastic netting to try and discourage the geese from doing what geese do in a picnic area. So, here's something I tried with no foreground at all.
Attachments
tremblant sunset (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Subdued Sunset in Mt. Tremblant Park

Postby davechinn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:49 pm

minniev wrote:We weren't gifted with pretty orange and red sunsets in Quebec, but did get a purple and yellow one this day. This was taken at the point where we got off on the Road From Hell, where we were serenaded by wolves. Comments, edits, crops all appreciated. I am always looking for foreground elements and was excited to find a lake I could walk right up to - until I found the strange apparatus they'd made from that orange plastic netting to try and discourage the geese from doing what geese do in a picnic area. So, here's something I tried with no foreground at all.

And now we know — the rest of the story, or part of it, about the Road From Hell !!! Looks as though, the stop for this one was well worth it, since we know the end result of the stop. You can never go wrong with vibrant colors with a dramatic sky/clouds. I had to give a little chuckle to your description of the geese and picnic area.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:26 pm

The patterns and slight ripples in the water are so beautiful. My personal preference would be to crop some from the top, making the image more about the water. The hand of man vs. pooping geese - another anecdote for your journal!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:59 pm

davechinn wrote:
minniev wrote:We weren't gifted with pretty orange and red sunsets in Quebec, but did get a purple and yellow one this day. This was taken at the point where we got off on the Road From Hell, where we were serenaded by wolves. Comments, edits, crops all appreciated. I am always looking for foreground elements and was excited to find a lake I could walk right up to - until I found the strange apparatus they'd made from that orange plastic netting to try and discourage the geese from doing what geese do in a picnic area. So, here's something I tried with no foreground at all.

And now we know — the rest of the story, or part of it, about the Road From Hell !!! Looks as though, the stop for this one was well worth it, since we know the end result of the stop. You can never go wrong with vibrant colors with a dramatic sky/clouds. I had to give a little chuckle to your description of the geese and picnic area.
Dave

Thanks Dave, glad you like it. I was happy at this point in the trip to have a sunset I could actually see, instead of just darkening gloomy skies. Of course I didn't know at that point what was waiting for me!

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The patterns and slight ripples in the water are so beautiful. My personal preference would be to crop some from the top, making the image more about the water. The hand of man vs. pooping geese - another anecdote for your journal!

Thanks Linda. I do have another (of course) that eliminates all the light blue area from both sky and water, but (of course) you know how I am about stuffing everything I have into the frame. This one also made up a decent monochrome. Or maybe I'm just desperate for a sunset to work on...

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 am

I love everything about this but especially the water in the lower-right. It reminds me of a painting it's so beautiful!

This is what I see! S-
Attachments
tremblant sunset %281 of 1%29-1.jpg
tremblant sunset %281 of 1%29-1.jpg (176.55 KiB) Viewed 101 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

I like your shot Min - I really like Steve's "less is more" version.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm

St3v3M wrote:I love everything about this but especially the water in the lower-right. It reminds me of a painting it's so beautiful!

This is what I see! S-

I like it! That was my favorite part of the image. I thought briefly of eliminating it because it didn't match the rest, but decided I needed to keep it . Thanks, I always enjoy your creative crops.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like your shot Min - I really like Steve's "less is more" version.

Thanks Piet!

Return to “― Scapes Critique”