"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes CritiqueAround the Bend - Mt Tremblant Park

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Around the Bend - Mt Tremblant Park

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:45 pm

minniev wrote:...I wish there was a dependable solution for distant shores that aren't quite level. If I level them, then I make something else go awry (usually trees start to lean one way or another). How do you deal with that?
This one was more noticeable, I think, because of the white of the water closest to shore and because the water lines funnel our eyes to that spot. Since so small, I just used a combination of darken/lighten and clone to do a virtual straighten (below).

As far as my own shots, at the moment I can only think of ones where it's more obvious that the shore recedes, or are different issues altogether (for example, edge distortion from wide angle). I'll think further ;)
Attachments
1 rainy stream %281 of 1%29.jpg
1 rainy stream %281 of 1%29.jpg (274.2 KiB) Viewed 402 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote: You know I enjoy seeing all these different edits. You retrieved color and created more drama using that color. I am fascinated with all the stuff ya'll have been able to pull out of that little jpeg, which is a meek and mild image.

Yeah, but did you see the horse?

Oh oh, I missed it. Frank does this stuff with animals. You should see his beach scenes with the pigs in chairs.

I love it!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
minniev wrote:...I wish there was a dependable solution for distant shores that aren't quite level. If I level them, then I make something else go awry (usually trees start to lean one way or another). How do you deal with that?
This one was more noticeable, I think, because of the white of the water closest to shore and because the water lines funnel our eyes to that spot. Since so small, I just used a combination of darken/lighten and clone to do a virtual straighten (below).

As far as my own shots, at the moment I can only think of ones where it's more obvious that the shore recedes, or are different issues altogether (for example, edge distortion from wide angle). I'll think further ;)

That helped resolve it. A case of mitigating the perception of something rather than a real thing. Lots of times that does help, rather than clinging to the captured pixels...

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 am

Really like your original image Minnie.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Really like your original image Minnie.

Thanks Ernst. This one was as subdued as the chicken house was overdone. When I'm playing in processing, I am always experimenting.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 pm

It seems like everyone was having their way with this so I thought I'd give it a go too. It's an amazing image! S-
Attachments
rainy stream %281 of 1%29-1.jpg
rainy stream %281 of 1%29-1.jpg (516.34 KiB) Viewed 363 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 pm

St3v3M wrote:It seems like everyone was having their way with this so I thought I'd give it a go too. It's an amazing image! S-

Always glad to have others show their edits of my photos. I get ideas from everyone, what better way to see through others' eyes? I like this version, less muted than mine, and with more life to the yellow aspens.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 pm

minniev wrote:Always glad to have others show their edits of my photos. I get ideas from everyone, what better way to see through others' eyes? I like this version, less muted than mine, and with more life to the yellow aspens.

I find it educational to work with other people's images, I think its the lack of attachment that I have to my own that lets me see objectively!

What's interesting is that I didn't touch anything but the sky and the brighter color water by brushing in some depth. I darkened it a little but not much.

I'm happy you like it and appreciate you letting us give our perspective! S-

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Always glad to have others show their edits of my photos. I get ideas from everyone, what better way to see through others' eyes? I like this version, less muted than mine, and with more life to the yellow aspens.

I find it educational to work with other people's images, I think its the lack of attachment that I have to my own that lets me see objectively!

What's interesting is that I didn't touch anything but the sky and the brighter color water by brushing in some depth. I darkened it a little but not much.

I'm happy you like it and appreciate you letting us give our perspective! S-

I think those steps gave the impression of increased contrast, which made the yellows stand out more.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 am

minniev wrote:I think those steps gave the impression of increased contrast, which made the yellows stand out more.

It's a good lesson to learn that when you change one thing it can change another! S-
Attachments
Capture1.JPG