― Scapes CritiqueAround the Bend - Mt Tremblant Park

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Around the Bend - Mt Tremblant Park

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Many of my Canada days were foggy and wet like this (kinda like Scotland). It's hard to convey landscape beauty in these conditions and still manage to keep it looking natural. All comments, suggestions, edits, welcome.
Attachments
rainy stream (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Gentle, serene, very natural looking. I like the subtle detail in the sky a lot; that adds much more interest than a totally featureless sky would. The wide, still water in front narrowing to a bit of "action" at the rocks is another terrific feature. My only quibble is the far shore. I know it's receding and that the image is straight, but because of that bright line along the far shore, I feel the whole image is slightly tilted.

Oh, and adding a moose along the shore (small, past the center narrows) would not be considered a bad idea by me at all :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 pm

I took a shot, not great working on the OP jpg but here's where I think I'd go... (all LR, all grad filters, gets pretty moooshy and bluh but y'get the idear)
Attachments
Minnie rainy stream %281 of 1%29-2.EMlr.jpg
Minnie rainy stream %281 of 1%29-2.EMlr.jpg (324.66 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Of course everyone will have a different opinion as to what natural is but overall I don't dislike your edit. It is a little muted and that is probably what is causing you to feel you aren't doing the scene justice.

Here is my rather simple edit and color grading of the scene. The first thing was to bring forth the natural colors in the scene. This was accomplished by increasing saturation. That only left the sky to contend with since there was no real color to bring out in the saturation increase. I opted to colorize the sky (and water as it's a reflection) using a Soft Light blend on a color layer. The nice thing with this technique is you can paint colors where you want them.

Mt_Tremblant_Park-Minniev.jpg
Color grading
Mt_Tremblant_Park-Minniev.jpg (267.97 KiB) Viewed 293 times

Mt_Tremblant_Park-Minniev_BTS.jpg
PS BTS
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:43 am

Like Duck said guess it all really depends on your definition of natural minniev....
Attachments
rainy stream %281 of 1%29_psjunkie_arty.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Gentle, serene, very natural looking. I like the subtle detail in the sky a lot; that adds much more interest than a totally featureless sky would. The wide, still water in front narrowing to a bit of "action" at the rocks is another terrific feature. My only quibble is the far shore. I know it's receding and that the image is straight, but because of that bright line along the far shore, I feel the whole image is slightly tilted.

Oh, and adding a moose along the shore (small, past the center narrows) would not be considered a bad idea by me at all :D

Thanks Linda, I really was trying to keep this one subtle. But it's an image that has a lot of flexibility and can go multiple ways. And yes, I wish there was a dependable solution for distant shores that aren't quite level. If I level them, then I make something else go awry (usually trees start to lean one way or another). How do you deal with that?

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I took a shot, not great working on the OP jpg but here's where I think I'd go... (all LR, all grad filters, gets pretty moooshy and bluh but y'get the idear)

Thanks Chuck, I always enjoy seeing what others can make of one of my images. You took it for more drama in the sky. I can't believe you got that much out of that tiny jpeg.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Duck wrote:Of course everyone will have a different opinion as to what natural is but overall I don't dislike your edit. It is a little muted and that is probably what is causing you to feel you aren't doing the scene justice.

Here is my rather simple edit and color grading of the scene. The first thing was to bring forth the natural colors in the scene. This was accomplished by increasing saturation. That only left the sky to contend with since there was no real color to bring out in the saturation increase. I opted to colorize the sky (and water as it's a reflection) using a Soft Light blend on a color layer. The nice thing with this technique is you can paint colors where you want them.

On my, you have successfully changed the weather and given me a sunny day in Mt Tremblant, something I did not have the pleasure of experiencing in person! Thank you for an edit going off in an entirely different direction that I hadn't considered. I appreciate your details about the edit which can likely be applied to any gloomy image with sufficient working detail. They key here, and I'm find it holding true for the images I shot on this particular day, was that this set of atmospherics allowed me to capture some images that can be edited in multiple very different ways for believable but different outcomes. I appreciate it Duck, both the edit and the description along with the PS screenshot! That's such a great way to explain something.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Like Duck said guess it all really depends on your definition of natural minniev....

You know I enjoy seeing all these different edits. You retrieved color and created more drama using that color. I am fascinated with all the stuff ya'll have been able to pull out of that little jpeg, which is a meek and mild image.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:07 pm

minniev wrote: You know I enjoy seeing all these different edits. You retrieved color and created more drama using that color. I am fascinated with all the stuff ya'll have been able to pull out of that little jpeg, which is a meek and mild image.

Yeah, but did you see the horse?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage