Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Streamin Live'

Postby davechinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:48 am

Captured somewhere within Yellowstone. Trying to find a balance between milky water and ..... no so milky. While having the camera resting on a rock and of course still holding the camera. Shot at f22, shutter speed 1/15, ISO 100. Was the goal achieved?
Dave
Attachments
Streamin Live DEC_8870w B&W tone.jpg
'Streamin Live'

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: 'Streamin Live'

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 pm

It looks good to me Dave, so I would say goal achieved :thumbup:
Graham

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Very nice image, Dave. You should do more landscapes! Great composition from the lower angle really works well here, and your choice of shutter speeds gives a really good result. You've preserved both the interesting texture of the water and still conveyed the power of the current running downstream. Nice monochrome conversion shows off the dramatic cloud structures too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:19 pm

In my opinion you achieved your goal and provided us with a very attractive image to enjoy, as well. The low perspective really draws me in. I have to ask, since you are a master of composites, is the sky real? :) It is a beautiful addition, if not.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Graham Smith wrote:It looks good to me Dave, so I would say goal achieved :thumbup:

Thanks Graham, your opinion is much appreciated.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:41 pm

minniev wrote:Very nice image, Dave. You should do more landscapes! Great composition from the lower angle really works well here, and your choice of shutter speeds gives a really good result. You've preserved both the interesting texture of the water and still conveyed the power of the current running downstream. Nice monochrome conversion shows off the dramatic cloud structures too.

Thank you Minnie !!! While on this last trip, landscapes were plentiful. I have done some in the past and sort of lost interest, but its coming back. Especially since through the grapevine, my landscapes "suck"!!! Oh wait, did I say that? Although, I do find it interesting how ones interest seems to bounce back and forth. Is it a sign of boredom?

At one time I preferred the milky water approach, but no longer find it all that appealing, but I do try to find a balance to tone it down. I appreciate your comments because it is an encouragement to post some of the other landscapes I took while in Yellowstone.
Dave

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:51 pm

davechinn wrote:Captured somewhere within Yellowstone. Trying to find a balance between milky water and ..... no so milky. While having the camera resting on a rock and of course still holding the camera. Shot at f22, shutter speed 1/15, ISO 100. Was the goal achieved?
Dave

I think it was more than achieved! The whole thing is DRAMAtic with a capital DRAMA. I've mentioned before that I am not a big fan of milky water but I do think there is a compromise, and this is a good compromise. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:58 pm

LindaShorey wrote:In my opinion you achieved your goal and provided us with a very attractive image to enjoy, as well. The low perspective really draws me in. I have to ask, since you are a master of composites, is the sky real? :) It is a beautiful addition, if not.

Thank you Linda !!! The low approach/perspective does have a way of drawing one in and I think thats one of my reasoning to take such an approach when possible.

Since you asked and since I actually forgot, because I processed this towards the end of September and possibly had a senior moment. Yes, the sky is real in the original, but not with the B&W image. After taking another look at the original I cannot figure out why I chose to replace it. Just wondering though, is your middle name Frankie? Here is the color original version and you can judge for yourself if the cloud replacement was needed. Sorry, but I had no intention to deceive anyone, it was an oversight and memory lose.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_8870 color w.jpg
'Streamin Live' (color original)

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
davechinn wrote:Captured somewhere within Yellowstone. Trying to find a balance between milky water and ..... no so milky. While having the camera resting on a rock and of course still holding the camera. Shot at f22, shutter speed 1/15, ISO 100. Was the goal achieved?
Dave

I think it was more than achieved! The whole thing is DRAMAtic with a capital DRAMA. I've mentioned before that I am not a big fan of milky water but I do think there is a compromise, and this is a good compromise. (OK)

Thanks Chuck !!! I do believe you and I are on the same page with the milky water issue. I love dramatic images and try at most to create such images. However, when and if drama approaches my house of dwelling ... I fade into the wall and mentally shut down.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:51 pm

davechinn wrote:Since you asked and since I actually forgot, because I processed this towards the end of September and possibly had a senior moment. Yes, the sky is real in the original, but not with the B&W image. After taking another look at the original I cannot figure out why I chose to replace it. Just wondering though, is your middle name Frankie? Here is the color original version and you can judge for yourself if the cloud replacement was needed. Sorry, but I had no intention to deceive anyone, it was an oversight and memory lose. Dave
Middle name Frankie...too funny. I think the original sky is quite gorgeous, and if I'm being totally truthful, the one in the b&w distracts me a little from the stream and rocks.

But dramatic skies in busy compositions are very much a personal preference, so my ramblings should not persuade you one way or the other. You know what YOU like!

As for senior moments, I think most of us can relate all too well :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Return to “― Scapes Critique”