"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Scapes CritiqueMr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Mr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:...it is a fanciful version more than a realistic one.

Revisiting it I am changing my mind. It is wildly colorful and above all cheerful!

Hey guys, I saw two autumn-red trees this morning in town that were every bit as vibrant as Minnie's fanciful pp . Relates back to conversations about how one reason our responses can be so different is our personal experiences. In researching info on full moon shooting when Minnie did last year, I discovered that even the length of twilight is different from season to season and by latitude too (I was first curious about that when an Australian mentioned how they go from day to night almost immediately. Yesterday I had about 40 minutes of light before official sunrise.)

Minnie's travels no doubt confirm that further north you go, the more golden the autumn and winter light :)

I did fire the reds up a little in software though, so it's a legit question. I just wanted a Very Hot Chickenhouse!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:06 pm

minniev wrote: I did fire the reds up a little in software though, so it's a legit question. I just wanted a Very Hot Chickenhouse!

Ah! The origin of Hot Wings revealed at last! :D :yay:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:45 am

Really like the image Minnie and the presentation. I would back off the saturation, to cooked for me.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:11 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Really like the image Minnie and the presentation. I would back off the saturation, to cooked for me.

Thanks Ernst. There is a "tamer" version. While I've been largely homebound I've been on a kick of processing images "over the line", Don't know if it's some form of perverse creativity or just rebellion.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:13 pm

Considering what I now know about Gursky's Rhein II and keeping that particular image as reference for the chicken coop, here is kind of how I see this image being presented.

Chicken_house-MinnieV_1.jpg
Chicken_house-MinnieV_1.jpg (150.92 KiB) Viewed 155 times

However, this does not take into account the original intentions of the artist when he created Rhein II, of distilling the river down to its bare essence. In the case of the chicken coop, my rendition does not accomplish that. It just mimics Gursky's style of simplification and creating layered bands of contrasting colors schemes. What I lack in interpreting the scene would be any kind of intimate knowledge of the location, the feeling it evokes among the locals, the variations of the scene from season to season, etc. This is where the photographer as artist steps in, as Gursky does with his images. It is also why I fail as a landscape photographer. :cry:

Anyhow, had you not invoked Gursky's name, I like the overall theme though there are two issues that really distract me. First is the tree poking above the rather even horizon. It sticks out like Donkey calling for attention in the first Shrek movie, "me, me... Pick me!"

The second is the convergence of the treeline with the roofline of the stack ( ? ) at left. I would prefer there to be a distinct separation of the elements there, but that's just me.

Anyway, with your permission, here is another variation on the theme for your consideration. Each of the two shown gives a distinctly different feel to the image.

Chicken_house-MinnieV_2.jpg
Chicken_house-MinnieV_2.jpg (153.55 KiB) Viewed 155 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Duck wrote:Considering what I now know about Gursky's Rhein II and keeping that particular image as reference for the chicken coop, here is kind of how I see this image being presented....

Gursky invoked or not, I always enjoy your analyses and your edits, Duck. They are all lessons in artistic thought, and they add to the discussion not just for me as the OP but to anyone who takes time to read. For that I thank you profusely, and pray you'll continue.

On your two distractions noted in the composition - I agree with you on the convergence of the treeline and roofline, and wished I could've got to a different spot to fight that more. As for the Shrek-tree, I liked it and left it on purpose, but there is part of me that always wants to pick the donkey, the same part that makes me look for the flower that a bug has chewed instead of the perfect one next to it. It is probably a character flaw on my part.

Of course I don't have intimate knowledge of the area either, which means I photograph differently when I travel than when I"m taking pictures of the hay bales in my side yard, or the birds I've come to know so well under the dam. When I travel I just find what stops my eye, what I discover and find amusing or miraculous. While I'm looking at it I may have an idea of some way to develop it further in post, or maybe that comes later after I get home. This outfit was a little of both, but Gursky definitely crept into my mind - not so much about capturing the bare essence of the scene, but about the geometry, which I confess is (rightly or wrongly) the main element of how I see. And perhaps why I don't fully "get" Gursky anyway.

I really like your vertical composition, great interpretation that retains what I liked in the scene but orders the elements differently. Thanks!!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 pm

minniev wrote:Gursky invoked or not, I always enjoy your analyses and your edits, Duck. They are all lessons in artistic thought, and they add to the discussion not just for me as the OP but to anyone who takes time to read. For that I thank you profusely, and pray you'll continue.

Thank you for the affirmation. Sometimes I feel I may come across a bit too strong.

minniev wrote:On your two distractions noted in the composition - I agree with you on the convergence of the treeline and roofline, and wished I could've got to a different spot to fight that more. As for the Shrek-tree, I liked it and left it on purpose, but there is part of me that always wants to pick the donkey, the same part that makes me look for the flower that a bug has chewed instead of the perfect one next to it. It is probably a character flaw on my part.

There is no right or wrong here and, as the artist, you have final say in your creation. Part of the critique process is to learn how others interpret our decisions to better make future decisions.

minniev wrote:Of course I don't have intimate knowledge of the area either, which means I photograph differently when I travel than when I"m taking pictures of the hay bales in my side yard, or the birds I've come to know so well under the dam.

That kind of understanding actually shows through when you start looking at an artist's collection in whole, as in your case. :love:

minniev wrote:When I travel I just find what stops my eye, what I discover and find amusing or miraculous. While I'm looking at it I may have an idea of some way to develop it further in post, or maybe that comes later after I get home. This outfit was a little of both, but Gursky definitely crept into my mind - not so much about capturing the bare essence of the scene, but about the geometry, which I confess is (rightly or wrongly) the main element of how I see. And perhaps why I don't fully "get" Gursky anyway.

You may not get the reaction to Gursky's images but I suspect you understand the process he undergoes, even if on a subconscious level. Your Dam Birds images have matured with each subsequent addition, indicating you are taking more into consideration with each visit. This is the result of familiarity as much as a wish to push beyond what you did with the previous image. An experienced artist will eventually get to the point where that process gets streamlined and instead of multiple days to discover the image it only takes a few hours. It's all part of the process.

minniev wrote:I really like your vertical composition, great interpretation that retains what I liked in the scene but orders the elements differently. Thanks!!

It's all part of the journey of seeing. Keep up the awesome work you are doing.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote:Gursky invoked or not, I always enjoy your analyses and your edits, Duck. They are all lessons in artistic thought, and they add to the discussion not just for me as the OP but to anyone who takes time to read. For that I thank you profusely, and pray you'll continue.

Thank you for the affirmation. Sometimes I feel I may come across a bit too strong.

I don't think so. You aren't pompous and don't feel the need to declare yourself the final arbiter of all things photographic, you're just honest and direct. You explain your opinions, couched in rich support information. You always leave room for other opinions or interpretations. What else might one want in a critique?

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm

minniev wrote:This is the typical old style chicken house in Ontario. For an experiment I tried out the link Ernst shared about framing. I've never posted images with framing but I thought I'd try it.

All comments are welcome

Minnie, The frame and matting distract me from the photo. The photo is striking enough in its own right; Ernst's frames seem more muted and less obvious and his photos more moody than this housescape. I like the strong, almost stark, contrast between the colors, very much like calendar art, if that was your intent. Very playful. Don't think you need a pano; as I visualize it, it would make the image too thin and linguini-like, (whatever that means). Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:This is the typical old style chicken house in Ontario. For an experiment I tried out the link Ernst shared about framing. I've never posted images with framing but I thought I'd try it.

All comments are welcome

Minnie, The frame and matting distract me from the photo. The photo is striking enough in its own right; Ernst's frames seem more muted and less obvious and his photos more moody than this housescape. I like the strong, almost stark, contrast between the colors, very much like calendar art, if that was your intent. Very playful. Don't think you need a pano; as I visualize it, it would make the image too thin and linguini-like, (whatever that means). Matt

Thanks Matt. Yes, it was meant to be over-strong, in a playful way for sure.

Just to be clear, this is not one of Ernst's frames, it is an example using a link he shared recently for a free online "framer".

Return to “― Scapes Critique”