"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Scapes CritiqueMr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Mr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Postby minniev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 pm

This is the typical old style chicken house in Ontario. For an experiment I tried out the link Ernst shared about framing. I've never posted images with framing but I thought I'd try it.

All comments are welcome
Attachments
JP Traditional 2101 (matted float)  20 x 30.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: Mr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:34 pm

A great one to try adding the dark frame with white mat. Your composition is deceptive: seems so simple, yet I can envision myself trying to find a perspective that would include the entire structure - and I would have been so wrong! Love this, Minnie. Super eye-catching with all those reds, and brings back memories of Maine autumn where countryside vistas are on fire with colors.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks Linda. The thing was twice this long. The tower thingy was in the middle. I shot a set for doing a pano but I haven't put it together yet. It was a swaybacked affair and the sway got worse on the left end so I'm not sure what I'll be able to do with it.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 pm

You're invoking Gursky into the critique. Are you sure you want to do that?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Duck wrote:You're invoking Gursky into the critique. Are you sure you want to do that?

Honestly, I don't know any better. I had Gursky on my mind when I saw this, so I might as well confess to it. It reminded me of the barge picture I posted in the Monthly Masters last month.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 am

I like the composition. I like the frame and the mat, although the framing seems a bit heavy for the picture for my taste, but I am really feeling that the saturation is a bit overcooked. I do like it, I don't think you need a pano of a long, low building (I think the shot works fine as is), but the colors strike me as too-too. If you didn't zip them up then they are astounding, but I wonder if the reds at least shouldn't be restrained a little? :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I like the composition. I like the frame and the mat, although the framing seems a bit heavy for the picture for my taste, but I am really feeling that the saturation is a bit overcooked. I do like it, I don't think you need a pano of a long, low building (I think the shot works fine as is), but the colors strike me as too-too. If you didn't zip them up then they are astounding, but I wonder if the reds at least shouldn't be restrained a little? :|

Glad you like the composition! Yah, this version is zipped up (love that term), it is a fanciful version more than a realistic one, so I might shoulda put it in the artistic section (I'm still finding my way with sections). It has a layer of exaggerated color, a layer of blur with Topaz impression (if I remember correctly) and a layer of detail all piled up together. While I've been stuck at home, I've been playing with software, it is way too much fun.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:43 pm

minniev wrote:Glad you like the composition! Yah, this version is zipped up (love that term), it is a fanciful version more than a realistic one, so I might shoulda put it in the artistic section (I'm still finding my way with sections). It has a layer of exaggerated color, a layer of blur with Topaz impression (if I remember correctly) and a layer of detail all piled up together. While I've been stuck at home, I've been playing with software, it is way too much fun.

As always it is your picture! Revisiting it I am changing my mind. It is wildly colorful and above all cheerful! :D As to what section, I'm some confoozed and occasionally wonder if there are too many.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:29 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:...it is a fanciful version more than a realistic one.

Revisiting it I am changing my mind. It is wildly colorful and above all cheerful!

Hey guys, I saw two autumn-red trees this morning in town that were every bit as vibrant as Minnie's fanciful pp . Relates back to conversations about how one reason our responses can be so different is our personal experiences. In researching info on full moon shooting when Minnie did last year, I discovered that even the length of twilight is different from season to season and by latitude too (I was first curious about that when an Australian mentioned how they go from day to night almost immediately. Yesterday I had about 40 minutes of light before official sunrise.)

Minnie's travels no doubt confirm that further north you go, the more golden the autumn and winter light :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:Glad you like the composition! Yah, this version is zipped up (love that term), it is a fanciful version more than a realistic one, so I might shoulda put it in the artistic section (I'm still finding my way with sections). It has a layer of exaggerated color, a layer of blur with Topaz impression (if I remember correctly) and a layer of detail all piled up together. While I've been stuck at home, I've been playing with software, it is way too much fun.

As always it is your picture! Revisiting it I am changing my mind. It is wildly colorful and above all cheerful! :D As to what section, I'm some confoozed and occasionally wonder if there are too many.

I get lost sometimes amongst the sections but not as much as at first. This is my first experience with a forum where I'm choosing sections by genre so I'm having to think more about these things.

I should warn people when I'm playing with pictures, Of course I'm playing most of the time, so.... (A section for PYWP?)

Return to “― Scapes Critique”