• Administrator
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

― Scapes CritiqueMr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Mr. Gursky's Chicken-house?

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:01 pm

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:This is the typical old style chicken house in Ontario. For an experiment I tried out the link Ernst shared about framing. I've never posted images with framing but I thought I'd try it.

All comments are welcome

Minnie, The frame and matting distract me from the photo. The photo is striking enough in its own right; Ernst's frames seem more muted and less obvious and his photos more moody than this housescape. I like the strong, almost stark, contrast between the colors, very much like calendar art, if that was your intent. Very playful. Don't think you need a pano; as I visualize it, it would make the image too thin and linguini-like, (whatever that means). Matt

Thanks Matt. Yes, it was meant to be over-strong, in a playful way for sure.

Just to be clear, this is not one of Ernst's frames, it is an example using a link he shared recently for a free online "framer".

I realized it was not one of Ernst's frames. Very successful playing , Minnie.

I just posted another beachscape in Landscape & Scenic. Let me know what you think. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm sure it's nothing but the innermost part of the matting is distracting to me, it's that torn edge that I can't unsee otherwise the image is wonderful. It feels a little oversaturated, but works well as is and may not be as impressive if were displayed naturally. This is where the artist instincts need to take over! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm

St3v3M wrote:I'm sure it's nothing but the innermost part of the matting is distracting to me, it's that torn edge that I can't unsee otherwise the image is wonderful. It feels a little oversaturated, but works well as is and may not be as impressive if were displayed naturally. This is where the artist instincts need to take over! S-

That's the free framing tool that Ernst gave us, and you don't get to pick another matt. I noticed that Ernst posted one using that frame, too.

It is indeed oversaturated, but done that way on purpose. I do have a tamer version. I probably should post it in the thread.Thanks for the comments!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm

minniev wrote:That's the free framing tool that Ernst gave us, and you don't get to pick another matt. I noticed that Ernst posted one using that frame, too.

It is indeed oversaturated, but done that way on purpose. I do have a tamer version. I probably should post it in the thread.Thanks for the comments!

The torn edge is something I probably wouldn't have noticed anywhere else so I would ignore me. The image is what's important anyway.

If you only have one would you chose the one posted or the tamer version? I think the answer is in the post, but I'm always curious! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"