Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Looking to the other side

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm

I took a tutorial this morning on the adjustment tool in Lightroom and practiced on this photo that I had posted yesterday. I like this one better. C&c welcome.
Looking to the other side (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Re: Looking to the other side

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I took a tutorial this morning on the adjustment tool in Lightroom and practiced on this photo that I had posted yesterday. I like this one better. C&c welcome.

Matt, I am curious why you like this one better. I liked the original better. I didn't say anything because I wasn't mad for it, but the original seemed to me to better convey the closing-down-for-bleak-winter feeling I know you were both having. A bare branch against a dun overcast over a bleak bay... I turned my collar up.

This version has lost the (to me) most interesting thing about the original, which was the sky. I can't tell exactly what you did, but it appears you may have wanted to open some detail in the branch, but whatever you did also wiped the sky clear of clouds. The water and opposing shore did not change.

I can't recall if you have CC but if you do and have upgraded to the New Improved Billy Gee-Whiz-Bang version of Lightroom, the graduated filter now has a really cool new tool called Luminance Masking. It's in the graduated and radial filters, maybe the adjustment brush too. I don't know what you wanted to do, and if you like what you have it is your picture and no one else's, but if your intent was to open the detail in the branch but not lose the clouds, this new luminance masking should do the trick. You would pull a graduated filter down from the top, then move the shadow slider in the luminance masking tool to the right and the branch should open up without tedious brushing with a tiny brush on fussy detail. While you were at it you could also adjust the exposure or whatever you want to make the sky even more dramatic and cold and bleak and unwelcoming and go home willya, come back in the spring. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Chuck, You read my mind. Awesome, my friend. I will try that either tonight or sometime next week when we get to MD and I finally get all the stuff set up again. I did want to bring out detail on the branch but did lose the sky and settled for the branch. I do have CC and I will upgrade. And will follow your brief tutorial and post again if I like it. Many thanks, many thanks. See you next week. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Just wanted to say I like the composition very much! So simple yet full of mood of the season. Have a safe trip to MD and looking forward to any new edits you try out.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:14 am

LindaShorey wrote:Just wanted to say I like the composition very much! So simple yet full of mood of the season. Have a safe trip to MD and looking forward to any new edits you try out.

thanks Linda. Will do. Signing off now. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:Just wanted to say I like the composition very much! So simple yet full of mood of the season. Have a safe trip to MD and looking forward to any new edits you try out.

Safe journey home, and Chuck is right, the new tool in LR for luminance masking is gonna make you happy you took this picture. It'll let you combine the best of this one with the best of your original and accomplish what you set out to do. I'm still learning how to use the new masking tools but like the blind squirrel, I've stumbled upon some really good results from it on some pictures. Have fun, and report in when you can.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:12 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:I took a tutorial this morning on the adjustment tool in Lightroom and practiced on this photo that I had posted yesterday. I like this one better. C&c welcome.

Matt, I am curious why you like this one better. I liked the original better. I didn't say anything because I wasn't mad for it, but the original seemed to me to better convey the closing-down-for-bleak-winter feeling I know you were both having. A bare branch against a dun overcast over a bleak bay... I turned my collar up.

This version has lost the (to me) most interesting thing about the original, which was the sky. I can't tell exactly what you did, but it appears you may have wanted to open some detail in the branch, but whatever you did also wiped the sky clear of clouds. The water and opposing shore did not change.

I can't recall if you have CC but if you do and have upgraded to the New Improved Billy Gee-Whiz-Bang version of Lightroom, the graduated filter now has a really cool new tool called Luminance Masking. It's in the graduated and radial filters, maybe the adjustment brush too. I don't know what you wanted to do, and if you like what you have it is your picture and no one else's, but if your intent was to open the detail in the branch but not lose the clouds, this new luminance masking should do the trick. You would pull a graduated filter down from the top, then move the shadow slider in the luminance masking tool to the right and the branch should open up without tedious brushing with a tiny brush on fussy detail. While you were at it you could also adjust the exposure or whatever you want to make the sky even more dramatic and cold and bleak and unwelcoming and go home willya, come back in the spring. :D

Chuck, We're back in MD and I have stuff set up. I followed your directions, and moved Shadows all the way to the right but the branch opened only a little, I think. And the background/clouds were affected as well. I had looked at a few tutorials and follows directions -- at least I thought I did. Your thoughts? Matt
Attachments
Looking to the other side 4 classic (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:17 am

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:

Safe journey home, and Chuck is right, the new tool in LR for luminance masking is gonna make you happy you took this picture. It'll let you combine the best of this one with the best of your original and accomplish what you set out to do. I'm still learning how to use the new masking tools but like the blind squirrel, I've stumbled upon some really good results from it on some pictures. Have fun, and report in when you can.

Hi, Minnie, We're back and unpacked -- sort of. I sent Chuck the re-do but don't think I was able to achieve what I had envisioned. I suspect I haven't used the Luminance Masking tool adequately. I will keep experimenting. BTW, in the update, they changed the spot removal tool; I can't get it to work even after following three tutorials. It's late at night so my mind is blurry. Will try again tomorrow. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:19 am

Linda, We're sort of settled in. I tried the new tool and sent Chuck the results, but I am not happy; it's not what I want. I will keep playing with it. And I lost my familiar spot removal. The new one is beyond me at the moment. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Hi, Minnie, We're back and unpacked -- sort of. I sent Chuck the re-do but don't think I was able to achieve what I had envisioned. I suspect I haven't used the Luminance Masking tool adequately. I will keep experimenting. BTW, in the update, they changed the spot removal tool; I can't get it to work even after following three tutorials. It's late at night so my mind is blurry. Will try again tomorrow. Matt

Try masking with the color luminance adjustment before you convert to monochrome, and see if that works better. What do you find different about the spot removal tool? Maybe I haven't used it much, but I haven't run into that yet.

Glad to see you back!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Return to “― Scapes Critique”