― Scapes CritiqueLooking to the other side

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Looking to the other side

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi and Welcome Back, Matt. I dug out the original ( download/file.php?id=8081&mode=view ) and opened it in a tab alongside the latest one ( download/file.php?id=8212&mode=view ). If you open both in separate tabs and toggle between them, there is a subtle difference in the detail in the branch while the clouds remain about the same, but the opening up of detail in the branch is indeed subtle. It is possible that this is (dun dun dun DUNNNNN) a job for Photoshop! :yay:

Lightroom is limited! Even with this cool new tool it may still be necessary to do local adjustment with the adjustment brush, using a small feathered brush with the auto-masking on (auto masking seems to be working better with the upgrades), and (frankly) tediously brushing just the branch and then using the sliders to open it to wherever you want it. It might also be possible to duplicate the mask you already have and throw the shadows open, but that will likely also affect the sky. I am NO Lightroom expert! I'm still on the learning curve, but some of the challenge of LR is that it is a less complex and therefore less powerful program than Photoshop. There are always workarounds, but it is possible that to do what you want to do in this specific case, you may need to take what you have now and open a copy in Photoshop and use its power. I like the clouds as they dramatically are. If I were doing it I would probably select and mask the branch alone, a somewhat tedious task in its own right but eminently doable with practice, and then use levels or curves or other available tools to lift the detail in that branch where I wanted it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:32 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Hi and Welcome Back, Matt. I dug out the original ( download/file.php?id=8081&mode=view ) and opened it in a tab alongside the latest one ( download/file.php?id=8212&mode=view ). If you open both in separate tabs and toggle between them, there is a subtle difference in the detail in the branch while the clouds remain about the same, but the opening up of detail in the branch is indeed subtle. It is possible that this is (dun dun dun DUNNNNN) a job for Photoshop! :yay:

Lightroom is limited! Even with this cool new tool it may still be necessary to do local adjustment with the adjustment brush, using a small feathered brush with the auto-masking on (auto masking seems to be working better with the upgrades), and (frankly) tediously brushing just the branch and then using the sliders to open it to wherever you want it. It might also be possible to duplicate the mask you already have and throw the shadows open, but that will likely also affect the sky. I am NO Lightroom expert! I'm still on the learning curve, but some of the challenge of LR is that it is a less complex and therefore less powerful program than Photoshop. There are always workarounds, but it is possible that to do what you want to do in this specific case, you may need to take what you have now and open a copy in Photoshop and use its power. I like the clouds as they dramatically are. If I were doing it I would probably select and mask the branch alone, a somewhat tedious task in its own right but eminently doable with practice, and then use levels or curves or other available tools to lift the detail in that branch where I wanted it.

As always, Chuck, thanks for a very full and thoughtful reply. I will try PS, and practice, practice, practice. As Minnie has suggested, learn one feature a week. Way to go, I guess.

I am about to post some photos I took this morning in your honor: Backlighting for Chuck. Look for them. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:52 pm

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:
Hi, Minnie, We're back and unpacked -- sort of. I sent Chuck the re-do but don't think I was able to achieve what I had envisioned. I suspect I haven't used the Luminance Masking tool adequately. I will keep experimenting. BTW, in the update, they changed the spot removal tool; I can't get it to work even after following three tutorials. It's late at night so my mind is blurry. Will try again tomorrow. Matt

Try masking with the color luminance adjustment before you convert to monochrome, and see if that works better. What do you find different about the spot removal tool? Maybe I haven't used it much, but I haven't run into that yet.

Glad to see you back!

Thanks, Minnie. A quick reply before I head out for errands. I shoot with a Leica Monochrom, so there is no need to convert. I will Google my problem with the spot removal tool. And, as I wrote to Chuck, I will practice..... Promise. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Chuck, We're back in MD and I have stuff set up. I followed your directions, and moved Shadows all the way to the right but the branch opened only a little, I think. And the background/clouds were affected as well. I had looked at a few tutorials and follows directions -- at least I thought I did. Your thoughts? Matt

I wonder why you like this one more. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Chuck, We're back in MD and I have stuff set up. I followed your directions, and moved Shadows all the way to the right but the branch opened only a little, I think. And the background/clouds were affected as well. I had looked at a few tutorials and follows directions -- at least I thought I did. Your thoughts? Matt

I wonder why you like this one more. S-

Steve, Sorry for the late reply. I like it because I see more detail in the branch and prefer the transition of dark at the bottom to the light at the top. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Steve, Sorry for the late reply. I like it because I see more detail in the branch and prefer the transition of dark at the bottom to the light at the top. Matt

I'm the one whose late to the party so no worries there and I appreciate the reply. What do you think of the image with and without the branch? S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Steve, Sorry for the late reply. I like it because I see more detail in the branch and prefer the transition of dark at the bottom to the light at the top. Matt

I'm the one whose late to the party so no worries there and I appreciate the reply. What do you think of the image with and without the branch? S-

I prefer it with the branch; too empty without it, not enough interest, too somber. You?
Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I prefer it with the branch; too empty without it, not enough interest, too somber. You?
Matt

I'm on the fence, with gives it a boundary and known distance, without makes it minimalist and daring. It's fun to have options! S-