Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

From the Bridge

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:30 pm

I took a lot of shots from bridges on my recent trip, partly because the rivers and lakes were often impossible to get to the edge of and partly because they gave me a different viewpoint I could experiment with to capture fall color.

Tell me what you think of this, including the viewpoint. All suggestions and/or edits welcome.
Attachments
rainy stream (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: From the Bridge

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm

What I think is, I think it's gorgeous! The meander in the river makes for a leading, um, meander into the distance around the bend. The light is wonderful thanks to the overcast. One of the things I love is that you haven't done the silky water thing, which I think has become cliche. It may be you couldn't, lack of tripod or other means to steady the camera for a longer exposure, but for me that's perfectly fine. I think there is a fine line, a break point, where the silky water effect is like deadening the sound of the falls. I love the sound! Here, I can hear it! Great job, esp. of finishing which is (for me) also not overmuch, just enough. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:What I think is, I think it's gorgeous! The meander in the river makes for a leading, um, meander into the distance around the bend. The light is wonderful thanks to the overcast. One of the things I love is that you haven't done the silky water thing, which I think has become cliche. It may be you couldn't, lack of tripod or other means to steady the camera for a longer exposure, but for me that's perfectly fine. I think there is a fine line, a break point, where the silky water effect is like deadening the sound of the falls. I love the sound! Here, I can hear it! Great job, esp. of finishing which is (for me) also not overmuch, just enough. (OK)

Thanks Chuck. I'm glad you liked the approach, you'll probably be subjected to more of this type. I tool some silky water versions but liked the roaring-brook type better. Where I like the silky kind is usually on tiny rivulets or falls with little volume.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 pm

I think it's a great shot minniev, good composition and I do like the perspective..I would suggest double checking your white balance here...nothing wrong with a warm feel but your greens left side are looking a bit orange.....

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Fall colors always seem to come alive when you add a bit of moving water. I shoot a lot from bridges because you often get the best of both worlds, the ripples in the water, and because the trees are usually so tall, all the color of the leaves in their full glory.

I have this thing about pristine looking water, and try to get rid of yellowish or brown looking water. I did an experiment with this image, creating a layer in which I used to the HSL sliders to take the saturation of yellows almost to zero. It cleaned up the water beautifully. I then created a reversed mask where I painted in the cleaned up water only, but the left the rest of it alone. It came out quite nicely.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Psjunkie wrote:I think it's a great shot minniev, good composition and I do like the perspective..I would suggest double checking your white balance here...nothing wrong with a warm feel but your greens left side are looking a bit orange.....

Thank ya Frank, I can't see it but I know if Eagle Eyes sees it, it is there! You have Superman vision!

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Fall colors always seem to come alive when you add a bit of moving water. I shoot a lot from bridges because you often get the best of both worlds, the ripples in the water, and because the trees are usually so tall, all the color of the leaves in their full glory.

I have this thing about pristine looking water, and try to get rid of yellowish or brown looking water. I did an experiment with this image, creating a layer in which I used to the HSL sliders to take the saturation of yellows almost to zero. It cleaned up the water beautifully. I then created a reversed mask where I painted in the cleaned up water only, but the left the rest of it alone. It came out quite nicely.

By all means, Bob, share your version, I'd be interested to see it.

I have sometimes cleaned water up, particularly if I have a blue sky and the water looks weird being brown or worse under it.

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 pm

minniev wrote:By all means, Bob, share your version, I'd be interested to see it.

I have sometimes cleaned water up, particularly if I have a blue sky and the water looks weird being brown or worse under it.

Clean water and all ......
Attachments
Minniev_FromTheBridge_EditedI.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:
minniev wrote:By all means, Bob, share your version, I'd be interested to see it.

Minnie, This is beyond beauteous. Thank you for this moment. I agree with Bob Yankle about the yellow water and like his rendition. I especially like the trace of foam coming down. I can't see the green that others see, but I often don't perceive subtle gradations. For me, the scene works as is, with Bob's suggestion. (I keep being reminded by moments like this that I need to dive into PS. Tomorrow and tomorrow...) Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Bob Yankle wrote:

Minnie, This is beyond beauteous. Thank you for this moment. I agree with Bob Yankle about the yellow water and like his rendition. I especially like the trace of foam coming down. I can't see the green that others see, but I often don't perceive subtle gradations. For me, the scene works as is, with Bob's suggestion. (I keep being reminded by moments like this that I need to dive into PS. Tomorrow and tomorrow...) Matt

Minnie, As I look again at the strip of foam upstream, I see the royal dragon on his way down to the falls. I think the roar of the falls is really the sound of his joy in riding the river. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Return to “― Scapes Critique”