Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Have you ever watched those cliche commercials showing spectators at a tennis match? That's me looking at this image. My eyes just bounce back and forth between the barn and post, which is a good thing. The image is keeping my interest.

There is nothing I would consider wrong or displeasing about this image. It has a captivating subject, a great use of foreground/background interplay, beautiful light, soothing color palette, lots of mood and beautiful light. Did I just say that twice? ;-)

This is, by all definitions, a wall worthy and sellable print.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Duck wrote:Have you ever watched those cliche commercials showing spectators at a tennis match? That's me looking at this image. My eyes just bounce back and forth between the barn and post, which is a good thing. The image is keeping my interest.

There is nothing I would consider wrong or displeasing about this image. It has a captivating subject, a great use of foreground/background interplay, beautiful light, soothing color palette, lots of mood and beautiful light. Did I just say that twice? ;-)

This is, by all definitions, a wall worthy and sellable print.

Gee thanks Duck, I'm glad it seems like a keeper to you, I love the comparison to the tennis ad, know just what you mean and that was my intent.

Dull, overcast light can sometimes be very friendly if you can bear with it. I have grown to prefer it over harsh bright light in cloudless blue skies, those are the hardest for me to get keepers from.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Minniev, Pierre Dumais and I used to speak about how, in just the time it takes for an image to resolve itself on the page, we knew whether we liked it or not. I like this one very much, more for the overall impact (intangibles) than the individual elements .... but they all fit together so nicely! And then, I had to go look at myself in the mirror and call myself out for being a hypocrite. I have often decried folks who wanted to remove this or that, calling them distractions. And yet, I found myself being distracted by the large piece of machinery in the front of the barn. So I download the image and removed it, as best I could. So now, I think of this as the show barn version as opposed to the working barn model. While I had the image open at high resolution, I also removed one of the darker clouds that felt like a large smudge mark in the sky, then used Topaz Clarity to just barely edge up the micro contrast level. The lighting, I didn't mess with. Matt Quinn has a good point about leaving the vibrance levels as is.
Attachments
Minniev_RedDoor_Edited.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Minniev, Pierre Dumais and I used to speak about how, in just the time it takes for an image to resolve itself on the page, we knew whether we liked it or not. I like this one very much, more for the overall impact (intangibles) than the individual elements .... but they all fit together so nicely! And then, I had to go look at myself in the mirror and call myself out for being a hypocrite. I have often decried folks who wanted to remove this or that, calling them distractions. And yet, I found myself being distracted by the large piece of machinery in the front of the barn. So I download the image and removed it, as best I could. So now, I think of this as the show barn version as opposed to the working barn model. While I had the image open at high resolution, I also removed one of the darker clouds that felt like a large smudge mark in the sky, then used Topaz Clarity to just barely edge up the micro contrast level. The lighting, I didn't mess with. Matt Quinn has a good point about leaving the vibrance levels as is.

The machine did not bother me, but very skilfully removing it makes the scene more timeless. It could be a century old and hand-tinted. I suspect that, had I made it, I'd have probably taken it out provided I could do it seamlessly, like this. (Well done, Bob.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Minniev, Pierre Dumais and I used to speak about how, in just the time it takes for an image to resolve itself on the page, we knew whether we liked it or not. I like this one very much, more for the overall impact (intangibles) than the individual elements .... but they all fit together so nicely! And then, I had to go look at myself in the mirror and call myself out for being a hypocrite. I have often decried folks who wanted to remove this or that, calling them distractions. And yet, I found myself being distracted by the large piece of machinery in the front of the barn. So I download the image and removed it, as best I could. So now, I think of this as the show barn version as opposed to the working barn model. While I had the image open at high resolution, I also removed one of the darker clouds that felt like a large smudge mark in the sky, then used Topaz Clarity to just barely edge up the micro contrast level. The lighting, I didn't mess with. Matt Quinn has a good point about leaving the vibrance levels as is.

I do like this version! It is a more classic pastoral scene and less of the tennis match that Duck described. I always enjoy seeing what others think to do with one of my pictures.

One photo, two images with different stories to tell. Thank you for this.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 pm

minniev wrote:I do like this version! It is a more classic pastoral scene and less of the tennis match that Duck described.

I have to admit I like this version better also.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 am

I can 'see' this shot without the fence, step six feet forward and maybe closer to the beautiful barn but it's not this and this is wonderful.

If you want to see what a foreground can do for a landscape crop this in, taking away the little tree and the fence, it's pretty, but it's lacking. It's amazing how much that little tree adds to the image, and I love how the color of the fence compliments the barn, the colors along the fence the same as the beyond, red of the poison ivy the same as that amazing barn door.

If you have it, a tad more sky please, but it's not a deal breaker and I'd love to see this on glass! Wow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

St3v3M wrote:I can 'see' this shot without the fence, step six feet forward and maybe closer to the beautiful barn but it's not this and this is wonderful.

If you want to see what a foreground can do for a landscape crop this in, taking away the little tree and the fence, it's pretty, but it's lacking. It's amazing how much that little tree adds to the image, and I love how the color of the fence compliments the barn, the colors along the fence the same as the beyond, red of the poison ivy the same as that amazing barn door.

If you have it, a tad more sky please, but it's not a deal breaker and I'd love to see this on glass! Wow! S-

Thank you Steve. I did take that shot with no foreground. It was OK, but kinda bland without the fence and the tangle of plants.

The sky was totally gray with a steady rain. I had to manhandle it to get this much, so I'm not sure there's any more to get. I'll try out of curiosity though. HDR+ noise removal in the sky then blending at reduced opacity?? Maybe...

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm

minniev wrote:Thank you Steve. I did take that shot with no foreground. It was OK, but kinda bland without the fence and the tangle of plants.

The sky was totally gray with a steady rain. I had to manhandle it to get this much, so I'm not sure there's any more to get. I'll try out of curiosity though. HDR+ noise removal in the sky then blending at reduced opacity?? Maybe...

Unless you get another storm and this is just down the street leave this one be, it's amazing! Absolutely amazing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:38 pm

The red door!

Never underestimate a of a daub of red!

"J M W Turners"Helvoetsluys ships going out to sea, 1832" demonstrates the power of a red daub. Google it :)
Graham

Return to “― Scapes Critique”