"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Scapes CritiqueBarn With Red Door

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Barn With Red Door

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 pm

The rainy days are hard to shoot on and rain has been too generous to me in Scotland and in Ontario/Quebec last week (lots of cover-and-wipe going on).

I have some zoomed in with less of the foreground clutter, but I can't resist matted weeds and crooked fenceposts. Critique, suggestions, edits all welcome.
Attachments
barn with red door (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Reputation: 23
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:39 am

Minnie, Superb dof, front to back. And I especially appreciate the muted colors of fall; too often, fall foliage photos are juiced up beyond recognition. And that door speaks to a sense of whimsey on the owner's part. The fence post and tree just to its left are in such sharp focus that they create a 3d feeling. All very nicely done. The curving lines of the distant hills and the counter curve of the road, the rising line from left to right of the near bushes, the arm of the farm machine--all were waiting for you and your camera. If only the fence post were leaning right. I really like.

How do I give a thumbup?

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 96
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 am

I love it. Looks like a Kodachrome.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:55 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, Superb dof, front to back. And I especially appreciate the muted colors of fall; too often, fall foliage photos are juiced up beyond recognition. And that door speaks to a sense of whimsey on the owner's part. The fence post and tree just to its left are in such sharp focus that they create a 3d feeling. All very nicely done. The curving lines of the distant hills and the counter curve of the road, the rising line from left to right of the near bushes, the arm of the farm machine--all were waiting for you and your camera. If only the fence post were leaning right. I really like.

How do I give a thumbup?

Matt

Thanks, Matt. This is an example of one I had doubts about because, among other issues, the foreground was so messy and the barn so much further back. But of course I just had to have that red door, so I built several shots around it.

I know what you mean about hot foliage colors, and I confess I'm as guilty as anyone of wanting to ramp them up, but I do it on a layer, then I lower the opacity of the ramped up layer till have just a little of it to spice up the base layer. Helps keep me from running amok.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:55 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I love it. Looks like a Kodachrome.


Thanks!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby davechinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:20 am

minniev wrote:The rainy days are hard to shoot on and rain has been too generous to me in Scotland and in Ontario/Quebec last week (lots of cover-and-wipe going on).

I have some zoomed in with less of the foreground clutter, but I can't resist matted weeds and crooked fenceposts. Critique, suggestions, edits all welcome.


Those rainy days can make it difficult to get out, but on the other hand it also makes for some great photos with an overcast which helps to create soft lighting. A lovely image Minnie, the red door really pops along with the red leaves of what ever it is in the foreground. Love your term of crooked fenceposts, which I believe adds to the overall scene. An image that's complimentary to my eyes.
Dave

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 98
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:03 pm

The first word that popped into my head was "tactile." Not sure if that's exactly correct usage, but I do very much feel I can touch the natural textures and I very much want to :) Adore the colors and subject and composition.

Can you describe your thought process as to how you "built your shots" around the red door?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:53 pm

davechinn wrote:Those rainy days can make it difficult to get out, but on the other hand it also makes for some great photos with an overcast which helps to create soft lighting. A lovely image Minnie, the red door really pops along with the red leaves of what ever it is in the foreground. Love your term of crooked fenceposts, which I believe adds to the overall scene. An image that's complimentary to my eyes.
Dave


Thank ya Dave. Rain definitely made the leaves more vibrant and the dull sky made them less reflective so there were benefits to counteract the problem of water drops on the lens.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:58 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The first word that popped into my head was "tactile." Not sure if that's exactly correct usage, but I do very much feel I can touch the natural textures and I very much want to :) Adore the colors and subject and composition.

Can you describe your thought process as to how you "built your shots" around the red door?


Thanks Linda, glad you liked.

As for anchoring my shots on that door, my whole set has the door in the same quadrant of the frame, whether a zoom in just of the barn, a midways shot with the yellow grass as foreground and the trees included, or this kind with the whole shebang in it, the door was the thing I held onto and placed purposefully. I do love a little bit of red in an image that way. In this particular composition I tried to balance the two little dinks of red (door and foreground leaves) on opposite sides. Like Matt, I wished the fence post had leaned inward so it would better balance that apparatus by the barn, but it was where it was and I just used it anyway.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 98
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Barn With Red Door

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:34 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks Linda, glad you liked.

As for anchoring my shots on that door, my whole set has the door in the same quadrant of the frame, whether a zoom in just of the barn, a midways shot with the yellow grass as foreground and the trees included, or this kind with the whole shebang in it, the door was the thing I held onto and placed purposefully. I do love a little bit of red in an image that way. In this particular composition I tried to balance the two little dinks of red (door and foreground leaves) on opposite sides. Like Matt, I wished the fence post had leaned inward so it would better balance that apparatus by the barn, but it was where it was and I just used it anyway.


Thanks so much for the info, Minnie. I keep intending to be more deliberate on the rare occasions when I "work" a scene, but I keep forgetting. Consequently, I end up with several of same composition, while missing other potential frames. When I was first looking at yours, I kind of wanted the machinery gone, but it has grown on me. And I never wished the fence post leaned inward; I think that would make it too balanced. A tiny visual jolt is good :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt


Return to “― Scapes Critique”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests