Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Ten Spoon Vineyard and Winery

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 pm

St3v3M wrote:... Speaking of which, the attached is an alternate version I was hesitant to post. I'm curious what you all think. S-

I'm seeing muddy looking clouds in your alternate - reminding me of much of the northwest's smoke-filled summer skies. Tell us what you were going for and perhaps someone has the pp recipe .

(edit: I wrote the below prior to reading Duck's Comment Box topic, "Why photoMENTORIS is different" What a fantastic essay!)

Regarding feedback, when an OP doesn't ask specific questions or state a specific goal or problem, then most people commenting can really only provide their own response (reaction) - which will be full of their personal likes and dislikes. For example, I don't care for Frank's edit because it removes the little bit of light/shadow contrasts that were there. And light and shadow in landscapes are often what I look for and shoot.

I know you've received personally + viewed in other topics, passionate comments and suggestions that are opposite each other. How many times do we seen written "Which do you prefer?" where the tally ends up tied :)

Occasionally, when we get to know a fellow traveler, we can make our suggestions based on what we know the OP's own interests are (though sometimes the OP is looking specifically for the viewer's reaction; Minnie has mentioned that in reference to her dam bird exhibit). Or occasionally we are fortunate to have a gifted teacher such as Duck who seems to intuitively know just how to critique or advise in a way that is individualized and relevant to the photographer.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Ten Spoon Vineyard and Winery

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 pm

LindaShorey wrote:...
Regarding feedback, when an OP doesn't ask specific questions or state a specific goal or problem, then most people commenting can really only provide their own response (reaction) - which will be full of their personal likes and dislikes. For example, I don't care for Frank's edit because it removes the little bit of light/shadow contrasts that were there. And light and shadow in landscapes are often what I look for and shoot.

I imagine we are all on a journey of self-discovery, all on our own paths learning what we can and making the path better for our being there. At the same time though we have this unique opportunity to come together at times and help one another. Sometimes it's a casual word, other times it's a detailed essay on what they see that can help you do better, but all in respect with the intention to help one another. The interesting part about helping someone else though is what you learn from it, about yourself, about how you see the world, what you expect of it, and when you're very lucky what you can do to shape it. What's really interesting to me though is that moment you recognize that by helping someone else you're really helping yourself, learning as you teach. Everyone has their gifts and they are as unique as we are to one another! What a wonderful thing this community is that we can come together to bear our souls and find redemption in the process. What an amazing family!

To answer your question I really don't know which is why I think I was hesitant to add the second. I happened to be editing and made a Virtual Copy trying something new and ended up in a dark place. It's not what I saw when I was there, it's not what I intended but there was a quality to it I like for some reason and I didn't want to lose it so I save it and put it aside. I probably would not have even shown if it were not for the comments above, and even now it scares me somehow. Maybe it's the knowledge that a RAW image has so many sides, or maybe it's the fact that I can make such a dark image, I'm not sure, but I thought I'd ask.

Speaking of which I thought I'd add this to another My Image - Your Look weekly challenge. Enjoy! S-
- My Image - Your Look: Ten Spoon
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “― Scapes Critique”