Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Lifeguard's chair, sunrise

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 am

Does this work? I wanted to convey the peace of the empty beach at morning, the "calm before the storm" of a crowded summer day, how a photographer "owns" the scene when she or he is only one there. I used silhouette preset in Silver Effex. C&c very welcome. Matt
Lifeguard chair (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Lifeguard's chair, sunrise

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

For me, a stronger composition is achieved by removing half the sky. Now my eye travels along the empty beach and I have a better feeling of your being the only one there. Also, an interesting aspect is that the beach is not parallel to the horizon line and this is more evident with a panoramic aspect. Regarding calm before crowded summer day, I think I would need to see in color. Silver Efex's silhouette effect is stark and harsh, so I get the sense this is winter. I like it a lot, Matt!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm

I think I see where you were headed. I agree with Linda. I think there is probably too much empty sky, too much negative space. If I had made it I think I would crop from top and left and halve the amount of sky, maybe even go to a 16:9 aspect for a panoramic. I think the placement of the empty chair is very good, but there is so much sky that (for me) it overwhelms the chair.

On the other hand, had I been there I think I would have considered tipping the camera down to put the horizon and chair well up in the frame and use the presumably empty beach as foreground. I wonder if that would have made more of an "empty beach" statement than the empty sky? 'Course it depends how much beach there was. If it was a narrow strip that might not work.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm

I'll be the dissenter here Matt, I think it's a good image...two nitpicks, I keep thinking the gull is a spot on my screen and I can't tell it is sand on a beach..kinda dark but I've no suggestions for changing that without changing the mood......

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Matt, regarding Frank's (psjunkie) comment about the sand: is the Silver Efex on a separate layer? You could make adjustments using a layer mask, or while you are in Nik there are "control points" you can apply to change the effect in certain ways. The Nik Collection home page leads to many links for tutorials and such. Here are a few for Silver Efex:

https://support.google.com/nikcollectio ... ic=2991541

-
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 am

Linda, Chuck, Frank, Thank you all. The remarks help. I like Chuck's of shooting more of the beach but thought the silhouette would have lost its effect. And I left the gull in deliberately to convey beach; I got rid of a buoy mid frame. There was no definition to the sky other than a gradation of color. I'll go back to the original and play with it now that I see it with fresh eyes. And thanks Linda for the lead on the tutorials. I'll go there and see what I can take away. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 am

I think this is a striking image, and I'd almost want to add more to the top adding a portrait view minimizing the beach below, but I also see the power in cropping it down to a panoramic to define the space and control the eye. You have at least three images here and they're all good! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “― Scapes Critique”