Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Broch - Dun Carloway

Postby minniev » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:49 pm

This ancient structure is over 2000 years old, and it has challenged me in processing. In the end I decided to process it how it looked when I first saw it, in the bright haze following the rain, and the light soft greens that went with that. This was the first heather I'd seen in Scotland, so it amazed me too, and I wanted to keep its soft color. That meant not trying to get more definition in the clouds (which do have extra definition to work with for more drama if I decide to). I am not sure how best to process for the haze I wanted to keep, as I'm usually trying to get rid of it.

I'm open to other ideas and interpretations, all kinds of feedback!
Attachments
broch (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Broch - Dun Carloway

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

minniev wrote:This ancient structure is over 2000 years old, and it has challenged me in processing. In the end I decided to process it how it looked when I first saw it, in the bright haze following the rain, and the light soft greens that went with that. This was the first heather I'd seen in Scotland, so it amazed me too, and I wanted to keep its soft color. That meant not trying to get more definition in the clouds (which do have extra definition to work with for more drama if I decide to). I am not sure how best to process for the haze I wanted to keep, as I'm usually trying to get rid of it.

That's a cracking picture of a broch especially considering the weather/light conditions you had to endure. Your processing as you saw it is, I think, the right way to go. After all we wouldn't want visitors turning up on the islands expecting sunshine rather than the usual mist rain and wind :D
Graham

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Graham Smith wrote:
minniev wrote:This ancient structure is over 2000 years old, and it has challenged me in processing. In the end I decided to process it how it looked when I first saw it, in the bright haze following the rain, and the light soft greens that went with that. This was the first heather I'd seen in Scotland, so it amazed me too, and I wanted to keep its soft color. That meant not trying to get more definition in the clouds (which do have extra definition to work with for more drama if I decide to). I am not sure how best to process for the haze I wanted to keep, as I'm usually trying to get rid of it.

That's a cracking picture of a broch especially considering the weather/light conditions you had to endure. Your processing as you saw it is, I think, the right way to go. After all we wouldn't want visitors turning up on the islands expecting sunshine rather than the usual mist rain and wind :D

Thank you Graham.

The delicacy of the light was a challenge in those times when the sun broke through. It is a kind of light I have no practice with, so I ran into multiple challenges, including some where it fooled the camera sensor and there was suddenly no such thing as ETTR, but instead the advisability of ETTL. Scotland (especially those islands) was a wonderful place, though a photographic puzzle.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:05 am

Minnie, Great perspetive. Sensitive capture of the mood. I especially appreciate the way you handled the light on the left side of the structure. Very nicely done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Detailed clouds would compete against the details of your rugged landscape, and seems like then would make the hazy conditions appear odd and in need of "correction." Your processing of this is super, IMO. I get a great sense of how the weather was at the time, which helps transport me there (compare to glossy, too-slick landscapes on 500px etc). All the elements work together within your engaging composition. Love the mood and the scene!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:49 pm

mighty dragon tooth
feel Dame Gothel's blinding thorns
the cattle thief burns

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:45 pm

PietFrancke wrote:mighty dragon tooth
the cattle thief burns

What he said. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, Great perspetive. Sensitive capture of the mood. I especially appreciate the way you handled the light on the left side of the structure. Very nicely done. Matt

Thank you Matt, that left side sky is where the bafflement was, On more than one occasion, I was taking pictures when a rain stopped for a few moments, sun came through the cloud cover and bathed the scene in a hazy light. That stuff proved hard to capture and hard to process.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:58 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Detailed clouds would compete against the details of your rugged landscape, and seems like then would make the hazy conditions appear odd and in need of "correction." Your processing of this is super, IMO. I get a great sense of how the weather was at the time, which helps transport me there (compare to glossy, too-slick landscapes on 500px etc). All the elements work together within your engaging composition. Love the mood and the scene!

Thanks Linda. Though the clouds had some detail, and I know how to ramp up detail, it didn't seem like this was the right shot to do that with. Some light is delicate, and this was that kind, so I tried to hold that. Glad you liked it!

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 pm

PietFrancke wrote:mighty dragon tooth
the cattle thief burns

Ya gotta love a magical critique like this, Piet.

Don't stay away so long.

Return to “― Scapes Critique”