Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Story of Storr

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Here's three different images of The Old Man Of Storr, a formation near the Quiraing on the Isle of Skye.

The first is how I experienced it while climbing the steep incline in inclement weather.

The second is the pleasant way the whole thing appeared once we got past the rain and the incline. This is my happy kitchen sink version with the barefoot hiker and his family in the foreground, and Gene and Graham in the background.

The third is the studied view after I got up there and determined how to best photograph the thing.

Graham has much better, as he's tromped around past and above this point for no telling how many miles and found its best angle.

As always, all feedback appreciated.
Attachments
storr (1 of 1).jpg
atorr3 (1 of 1).jpg
stor (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: The Story of Storr

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Minnie, Looks like Valhalla, or what I imagine the home of the gods would look like - somber, brooding, declarative. On the first, I find the fellow on the right distracting; the folks on the path give me enough info for scale. #2, yes, kitchen sink. #3, I would like to see the closer stone (the Old Man?) more evident against the chorus behind him. The greens, on my screen, look too bilious, but that may be how they really look. I like how you have captured the texture and feel of the turf(?); the side lighting enhances it nicely. The overall look is almost two-tone, the gray of the sky and stone, the green of the ground. Not quite the place of worship one would expect. Maybe that's why Scotch was invented. Great exercise, great memory. Thanks, Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:03 am

All enjoyable images minniev, and I agree with Matt about the guy in #1.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:51 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, Looks like Valhalla, or what I imagine the home of the gods would look like - somber, brooding, declarative. On the first, I find the fellow on the right distracting; the folks on the path give me enough info for scale. #2, yes, kitchen sink. #3, I would like to see the closer stone (the Old Man?) more evident against the chorus behind him. The greens, on my screen, look too bilious, but that may be how they really look. I like how you have captured the texture and feel of the turf(?); the side lighting enhances it nicely. The overall look is almost two-tone, the gray of the sky and stone, the green of the ground. Not quite the place of worship one would expect. Maybe that's why Scotch was invented. Great exercise, great memory. Thanks, Matt

Thanks for the detailed comments Matt. The greens were not as pretty as they were in different light, but I have control of greens so I can adapt them to make them a little less bilious. I hope Graham will post some of his, as he is as nimble as a mountain goat and ascended to places I couldn't aspire to. The best view involves going up the next degree of incline which is sloshy mud rather than gravel, and shooting back towards the formation. I may try some processing tricks to get more separation.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:52 am

Psjunkie wrote:All enjoyable images minniev, and I agree with Matt about the guy in #1.

Thanks Frank.

Gee,I kinda liked the guy on the hill, but you know me, and wanting everything I see stuffed into the frame.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:28 am

I love the third as is. I always approach from the what-if-I-had-made-this perspective. If I had made all three I'd have left the first cropped as you did, fella on the right and all, and left the third exactly as presented 'cuz it's wonderful, but maybe skipped the second unless maaaayyyybe cropping or cloning out the two in the foreground as a distraction (barefoot hiker?). The further figures give scale and are not obtrusive, but the fellas in the foreground seem distracting, especially the one with the white shirt, red jacket and pack. The other fella blends in. They'd be tough to get out of there, and tough to crop because you'd lose that wonderful foreground topography. I can't recall what tools you use but Photoshop and newer editions of Elements have the patch tool, which is what I would try to remove them while preserving the ground. Subjective! All opinion! :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:56 am

I was taken back when I saw The Old Man Of Storr and can only imagine standing there before the god house. It's so beautiful, overwhelmingly beautiful, but reading through the comments I thought I would work with it and see what I could do. I hope you like it! S-
Attachments
stor %281 of 1%29.jpg
Original
stor %281 of 1%29.jpg (195.5 KiB) Viewed 179 times
stor %281 of 1%29ac-1.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:29 pm

St3v3M wrote:I was taken back when I saw The Old Man Of Storr and can only imagine standing there before the god house. It's so beautiful, overwhelmingly beautiful, but reading through the comments I thought I would work with it and see what I could do. I hope you like it! S-

I do like it! You got a little more separation of the Old Man from his background.

But if you really want a great image of Storr, you will need Graham to post his. Better weather, much better position, and Graham's skills.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:40 pm

minniev wrote:I do like it! You got a little more separation of the Old Man from his background.

But if you really want a great image of Storr, you will need Graham to post his. Better weather, much better position, and Graham's skills.

I'm honored to have worked on this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

John N
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Postby John N » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 am

Can only agree with comments made about the chap in no.1 Looks like he's using binoculars or perhaps taking a shot himself, so he needs something to be looking into. No.2, just a record shot for me - a look where I went image - not that there's anything wrong with those. No.3, Steve has bought the Old Man out a bit better but greenery in the original is more accurate as I remember it. Deep verdant greens of wet grass infested with mossy growths become almost iridescent in a little bit of low sunlight. This is a place to visit outside of the Tourist season when the solitude can be experienced. Catch the light and you could indeed be forgiven for thinking you are entering Valhalla.

Return to “― Scapes Critique”