― Scapes CritiqueDogwood Forest

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Dogwood Forest

Post by St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:36 am

When I was young my parents and I followed a Yosemite ranger on a nature walk and being the man he is my dad said something I'll never forget.
- The ranger has been standing there for awhile explaining the difference in certain trees and asked if anyone knew what makes the Dogwood special.
- Without missing a beat my dad yells out The Bark! The ranger looked surprised, then got the joke and laughed with it. I'm sure he used it again!

Fast-forward a lifetime and I just spent a week 'at home' in the forest and came across a beautiful Dogwood forest. This is for my dad! S-
- Dogwoods
Attachments
IMG_2585-1ds.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Mike D
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Mike D » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Great composition Steve. The interplay of the downed tree againt the young Dogwood works very well.

I also have a feeling that your Dad is smiling over that memory also.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Really nice image Steve and I enjoy the presentation.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Thank you everyone! I can't help but feel like it's lacking something, but I'll keep working at it! S-

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Well composed Steve...there is more there if you want it. It is really up to your vision...up the shadows, then play with some of the luminous sliders and finally vibrance if you like....

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:16 am

St3v3M wrote:When I was young my parents and I followed a Yosemite ranger on a nature walk and being the man he is my dad said something I'll never forget.
- The ranger has been standing there for awhile explaining the difference in certain trees and asked if anyone knew what makes the Dogwood special.
- Without missing a beat my dad yells out The Bark! The ranger looked surprised, then got the joke and laughed with it. I'm sure he used it again!

Fast-forward a lifetime and I just spent a week 'at home' in the forest and came across a beautiful Dogwood forest. This is for my dad! S-
- Dogwoods

Love the detail, the color, the composition and especially the light, which is hard to capture in a way that really showcases the forest - you did very well here.

If you want to work it further, I agree with Frank that the darker area of the fallen tree could bear up to a bit more shadow-raising. But with care so as not to lose the magical effect of the light through those leaves.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 am

Psjunkie wrote:Well composed Steve...there is more there if you want it. It is really up to your vision...up the shadows, then play with some of the luminous sliders and finally vibrance if you like....

I will give that a try, thank you! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:31 am

minniev wrote:Love the detail, the color, the composition and especially the light, which is hard to capture in a way that really showcases the forest - you did very well here.

If you want to work it further, I agree with Frank that the darker area of the fallen tree could bear up to a bit more shadow-raising. But with care so as not to lose the magical effect of the light through those leaves.

I'm going to give it a try later in the week. Thank you so much! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:41 pm

St3v3M wrote:When I was young my parents and I followed a Yosemite ranger on a nature walk and being the man he is my dad said something I'll never forget.

- Dogwoods

Gorgeous, Steve. Wonderful texture and tones; great use of light. Very welcoming scene and a tender memorial for you.

As a gift to your father and you, (and, hopefully, not offending by appearing to compete),here is a bouquet from our front yard a few years ago when our dogwood was in lush bloom. Matt
Attachments
Dogwood 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Gorgeous, Steve. Wonderful texture and tones; great use of light. Very welcoming scene and a tender memorial for you.

As a gift to your father and you, (and, hopefully, not offending by appearing to compete),here is a bouquet from our front yard a few years ago when our dogwood was in lush bloom. Matt

Thank you so much, and I'm so jealous! You got the flower and the fruit! I may have to return to get them later in the year. So beautiful, thank you! S-