"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerEilean Glas Lighthouse

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Graham Smith
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Eilean Glas Lighthouse

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm

This lighthouse is now disused and is being renovated for use as holiday lets.

The islands behind the lighthouse are the Shiant Islands in The Minch, the stretch of water that separates the Outer Hebrides from mainland Scotland which can be seen on the horizon to the right.

DSC_0962 copy.jpg
Graham

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Re: Eilean Glas Lighthouse

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:08 pm

I hope you know that I am not joking or being sarcastic when I tell you that the first word that fell aloud from me was Och! I love lighthouses. So far as I know everyone does, unless there's such a thing as a pharosophobe? (That was a joke.) It appears that the renovation is very well along from the fresh gleaming paint. I love the fact that they carefully picked out the foghorn trumpet in red, along with what I take to be the fuel supply for the structure. Wonderful! Marvelous! :thumbup: :clap:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Another gorgeous shot, Graham. I'm jealous, you remember how hard we chased a lighthouse to no avail!

Wonderful image in exquisite detail and perfect composition. This one really just jumps off the screen.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Your presentation skills really shine with this one Mr. Smith...not to mention your outstanding capture abilities, minniev is right about this image jumping off the screen....congratulations on a stunning image....

Graham Smith
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Minnie, I would have loved to have taken you to this lighthouse, this was my first time there. It is situated at the far tip of Scalpay, the walk is quite long and steep and would have taken the best part of a day to complete.

Our time together was sadly far too brief to do justice to the Hebrides but perhaps this will, knowing your penchant for sheep, be some consolation :D https://www.dropbox.com/s/v27dpy3tdgi1o ... 3.jpg?dl=0
Graham

Graham Smith
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I hope you know that I am not joking or being sarcastic when I tell you that the first word that fell aloud from me was Och! I love lighthouses. So far as I know everyone does, unless there's such a thing as a pharosophobe? (That was a joke.) It appears that the renovation is very well along from the fresh gleaming paint. I love the fact that they carefully picked out the foghorn trumpet in red, along with what I take to be the fuel supply for the structure. Wonderful! Marvelous! :thumbup: :clap:

Chuck, the outside of the buildings have been largely dealt with in order to prevent further deterioration but the insides are a total mess after years of water penetration. Its a huge project being undertaken by volunteers from the island. Their hope is, as soon as is possible, to get some accommodation ready to let so that the enterprise can be, to some extent, self funding.

One major job is to get a mains water supply brought several miles across the moors, a lady who is working on the restoration told me that the excavator working on the pipe laying is dreadfully bogged down on the moor and that they are trying to work out how to rescue it! Previously the water supply was taken from a nearby loch but that isn't acceptable any more, public health and all that.
Graham

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Graham Smith wrote:Minnie, I would have loved to have taken you to this lighthouse, this was my first time there. It is situated at the far tip of Scalpay, the walk is quite long and steep and would have taken the best part of a day to complete.

Our time together was sadly far too brief to do justice to the Hebrides but perhaps this will, knowing your penchant for sheep, be some consolation :D https://www.dropbox.com/s/v27dpy3tdgi1o ... 3.jpg?dl=0

That sheep has definitely won Horns Of The Year.

Indeed, I had too short a time, a month would have flown by on those islands and still no end of discovery.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Gorgeous. I can imagine this location looks fantastic in the early morning light. Or sunset, with warm tones bouncing off the rocks. Speaking of which, I love the texture of those rocks.
Maybe consider modifying the colors in PS? Might be interesting to see it in early morning light. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 am

I love the lighthouse and the structure below and can imagine it being a lovely vacation destination. Thank you so much for this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 am

I agree with Minnie's comment about this jumping off the screen. Almost 3 dimensional. I marvel at the challenge the original workers faced in building this. A grand monument. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”