"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes CritiqueLittle Village in the Sun - Isle of Harris

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Little Village in the Sun - Isle of Harris

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Minnie, I prefer your version to Dave's. I enjoy the texture and tones in the water which are lost in Dave's. The water, in my viewing, then becomes a less important feature in the scene of land, sea and sky. Yours balances the three dynamically in a very energetic visual tension. Dave's tips the balance toward the bulk of the land, and secondarily, to the sky which then looms too large for me.

I envy your time there with your camera. Taking those photos would deservedly become an addiction. And not a bad one.
Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, I prefer your version to Dave's. I enjoy the texture and tones in the water which are lost in Dave's. The water, in my viewing, then becomes a less important feature in the scene of land, sea and sky. Yours balances the three dynamically in a very energetic visual tension. Dave's tips the balance toward the bulk of the land, and secondarily, to the sky which then looms too large for me.

I envy your time there with your camera. Taking those photos would deservedly become an addiction. And not a bad one.
Matt

Thanks for your thoughts Matt, and your explanation. I like all the versions, but remain somewhat partial to having some earth at the bottom, an anchor if nothing else.

Even if abysmal weather, Scotland was wonderful, and having one of the finest photographers I know as a personal guide and companion made it beyond exceptional.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm afraid you have me with your recent landscapes. Normally I would say crop, crop, crop, but the more I look the more I like.

I've attached what my gut says I would do but I really like yours. It's beautiful there I'm surprised you remembered to take the shot! S-
Attachments
harris %281 of 1%29-2p.jpg
harris %281 of 1%29-2p.jpg (111.38 KiB) Viewed 313 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 pm

St3v3M wrote:I'm afraid you have me with your recent landscapes. Normally I would say crop, crop, crop, but the more I look the more I like.

I've attached what my gut says I would do but I really like yours. It's beautiful there I'm surprised you remembered to take the shot! S-

That's a nice version. Thank you! I've gone back and reviewed my several shots of this scene, and did find a couple with more foreground, though it is still featureless. So now I've got a couple of options, with just water like this, and with sufficient grassy hill to anchor the bottom.

The rainbows were wonderful, and frequent, but often they lasted only a minute or two, so it was essential to move fast on them. I never found one that was there long enough for me to get my polarizer out.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 pm

minniev wrote:That's a nice version. Thank you! I've gone back and reviewed my several shots of this scene, and did find a couple with more foreground, though it is still featureless. So now I've got a couple of options, with just water like this, and with sufficient grassy hill to anchor the bottom.

The rainbows were wonderful, and frequent, but often they lasted only a minute or two, so it was essential to move fast on them. I never found one that was there long enough for me to get my polarizer out.

It's amazing you even remembered to take the shots you did the landscape is so beautiful there! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"