“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

― Scapes CritiqueA Walk On The Moor at Dusk- Isle of Harris

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Walk On The Moor at Dusk- Isle of Harris

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm

In a slight departure from the classic wide-view kitchen sink look, I experimented with a more intimate version to try somewhat vainly to capture the feel of being on a remote moor alone at dusk. It is impossible to appreciate their beauty without showing a closer view of the tiny details of Scottish heather, which blooms at end of summer. The lodging house where I stayed is visible in the distance against the hills. If you ever tried to imagine, as I did, what a walk on a moor was like- I had no idea the ground was so boggy, even on hilltops and slopes, The peat holds the water so there is no drainage. Good boots are essential, a stick is trouble, and my usual manner of crawling around on the ground for angles got very messy.

All suggestions or edits welcome.
Attachments
heather (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Scrolls down, sharp (!!) intake of breath, followed by an OH! and then a series, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh...

Could it be any more perfect?
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Scrolls down, sharp (!!) intake of breath, followed by an OH! and then a series, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh...

Could it be any more perfect?

Thank you Chuck, that's a fine compiiment! It is kind of a "mood" picture.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Wonderful image Minnie. On my wife's bucket list for a visit.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm

You should be shooting for the Scotland tourist bureau......wonderful image minniev, treated superbly.....no nit piks.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Wonderful image Minnie. On my wife's bucket list for a visit.

Thank you Ernst, and when you get around to making her wish come true, I'll share anything I know.

But I must say that the grandest part of the Hebrides leg of the trip was having our friend Graham Smith for a guide and companion.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Psjunkie wrote:You should be shooting for the Scotland tourist bureau......wonderful image minniev, treated superbly.....no nit piks.

Glad you liked it Frank!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm

The bit of color in the clouds and light on the heather add that extra oomph. Is the lodge where I've indicated below? If so, I was totally off with my assessment of distance!. I looked at the photo before reading your text and thought that middle area was "just out of reach" LOL

A very lovely image, Minnie.
Attachments
cropheather281of129(1).jpg
cropheather281of129(1).jpg (138.58 KiB) Viewed 272 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The bit of color in the clouds and light on the heather add that extra oomph. Is the lodge where I've indicated below? If so, I was totally off with my assessment of distance!. I looked at the photo before reading your text and thought that middle area was "just out of reach" LOL

A very lovely image, Minnie.

You spotted it! That's the sweet place I stayed, a family home outfitted for a few guests, filled with paintings of the area done by the innkeeper's aunt, whose studio we happened to wander into, right before we met her mother.

Yes, that little smidgeon of sunset light through the broken clouds was the closest thing to a real sunset I got but it was fine.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 pm

minniev wrote:In a slight departure from the classic wide-view kitchen sink look, I experimented with a more intimate version to try somewhat vainly to capture the feel of being on a remote moor alone at dusk. It is impossible to appreciate their beauty without showing a closer view of the tiny details of Scottish heather, which blooms at end of summer. The lodging house where I stayed is visible in the distance against the hills. If you ever tried to imagine, as I did, what a walk on a moor was like- I had no idea the ground was so boggy, even on hilltops and slopes, The peat holds the water so there is no drainage. Good boots are essential, a stick is trouble, and my usual manner of crawling around on the ground for angles got very messy.

All suggestions or edits welcome.

Gorgeous, Minnie, simply gorgeous. I have visited Ireland any times and know what you mean about the peat bogs. My mother was born in Norther Ireland; as I child, I would ask her what her older brothers did for work (she was the 9th of 13) and she would reply; "Oh, they worked on the roads." I had no idea what that meant till my first visit and saw that the roads were built over the bogs, and were constantly slipping back into the bogs with use. They had to be rebuilt every year.

I can almost smell the heather from the clarity of your photo. Stunning light. Great memory .. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange