"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes CritiqueLow Tide in a Sea-Loch - Isle of Harris

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Low Tide in a Sea-Loch - Isle of Harris

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:You know i usually say something about your kitchen sink....so this is what I thought, but after looking at them awhile I like you sink the best for composition...

Thanks Frank. I do see your point in cropping from the bottom. For some reason I wanted to preserve the greens and the rock textures, but there is a little more flow without them.

Minnie, I prefer yours, cropped. Frank's is too dark for me. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:You know i usually say something about your kitchen sink....so this is what I thought, but after looking at them awhile I like you sink the best for composition...

Thanks Frank. I do see your point in cropping from the bottom. For some reason I wanted to preserve the greens and the rock textures, but there is a little more flow without them.

Minnie, I prefer yours, cropped. Frank's is too dark for me. Matt

Thank you Matt, for sharing your ideas. I like the crop too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:27 pm

if the bogs give me a sinking feeling, this sink makes me wonder how to get back to the boat without getting even more wet and cold than I already am. Stay on the rocks and don't twist an ankle!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:35 pm

PietFrancke wrote:if the bogs give me a sinking feeling, this sink makes me wonder how to get back to the boat without getting even more wet and cold than I already am. Stay on the rocks and don't twist an ankle!

Scotland is nothing if not wet.

Otherwordly.

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:16 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Not totally off-topic, one glance at the picture called up Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture, subtitled Fingal's Cave. If you don't know it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcogD-hHEYs

I love the original picture as is (apologies to Frank). I cannot see a single thing I would change. The lowering sky is just so perfectly Scotland. The lone fishing boat riding at anchor in the distance provides an almost literal anchor. :thumbup: :clap:

Min,
I'm In agreement with Chuck; the posted image benefits from inclusion of the ferns as evidence of something above average high tide...and the greens are a nice complement to orange-covered rocks. It helps establish a continuum from foreground to the far distance.

It's a very...evocative...image: I swear I can smell the aroma of low tide!...and for me that's a positive thing.

Did you get to see any otters along the miles-and-miles of water's edge?

Dave

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 am

Min,
This is apropos of nothing photographic, but much about Scotland.
If you've begun to consider looking for a highly readable, extremely well researched, and non-academic, but seriously approached popular history of Scotland, I'd like to recommend John Prebble's "Lion in the North". Prebble, though a Sassenach (a Saxon/Englishman) he has a deep vein of profound scotophilia and has written several other books on more specific aspects of Scottish history..("The Glen Coe Massacre", "The Highland Clearances", are two more that come quickly to mind...but there are more...)..but "Lion in the North" is a great introduction to Scotland...and to Prebble.

I recall that I recommended it to RG some time ago. No idea if he has read it, but if he has, you might get his opinion on it.

I am so enjoying your images of your trip.

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am

uuglypher wrote:Min,
This is apropos of nothing photographic, but much about Scotland.
If you've begun to consider looking for a highly readable, extremely well researched, and non-academic, but seriously approached popular history of Scotland, I'd like to recommend John Prebble's "Lion in the North". Prebble, though a Sassenach (a Saxon/Englishman) he has a deep vein of profound scotophilia and has written several other books on more specific aspects of Scottish history..("The Glen Coe Massacre", "The Highland Clearances", are two more that come quickly to mind...but there are more...)..but "Lion in the North" is a great introduction to Scotland...and to Prebble.

I recall that I recommended it to RG some time ago. No idea if he has read it, but if he has, you might get his opinion on it.

I am so enjoying your images of your trip.

Dave

Thanks. That little speck of fern was included on purpose but for a more "orderly" image, it works pretty well without it too I think..

Appreciate the references. It is impossible to visit this place without getting caught up in its history, especially if we have forebears who came from there that we're curious about. Glen Coe was fascinating and beautiful.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 am

This is an interesting post!

My immediate reaction was the same as the crop. The fern wasn't adding to the story so it has to go, but then I read the rest of the comments, specifically Linda's explanation why they should be there and if like seeing for the first time I agree, the ferns have a place. My 'problem' then is that with the sky taking so little of the scene is it right to include the fern, or is it better to pull up to even the flow of the image? It's an interesting question and once well addressed here.

I also wonder if there is another crop waiting to be found? I like the leading lines of the lower flow and the little 'waterfall,' and we can't get rid of the boat, so when then? I know it goes against what we're taught, but sometimes I like to let the software decide and while it found a few I like this one too! S-
Attachments
harris %281 of 1%29c.jpg
harris %281 of 1%29c.jpg (459.27 KiB) Viewed 432 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

St3v3M wrote:This is an interesting post!

My immediate reaction was the same as the crop. The fern wasn't adding to the story so it has to go, but then I read the rest of the comments, specifically Linda's explanation why they should be there and if like seeing for the first time I agree, the ferns have a place. My 'problem' then is that with the sky taking so little of the scene is it right to include the fern, or is it better to pull up to even the flow of the image? It's an interesting question and once well addressed here.

I also wonder if there is another crop waiting to be found? I like the leading lines of the lower flow and the little 'waterfall,' and we can't get rid of the boat, so when then? I know it goes against what we're taught, but sometimes I like to let the software decide and while it found a few I like this one too! S-

A very nice squarish crop that contains all the flow elements. Thanks!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:57 pm

minniev wrote:A very nice squarish crop that contains all the flow elements. Thanks!

There are so many stories here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"