― Scapes CritiqueDay's end, evening storm approaching

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Day's end, evening storm approaching

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:14 am

I have been reading about Edward Weston from the material Minniev has posted and now I don't know where my head is with all Weston's philosophy of photography. Too much soul searching is exhausting and bad for the soul. So here is a shot from last night and the sun eased its way down in the west and the clouds warned of what the night might bring. Comments welcome. Matt
Attachments
Chatham sunset (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:34 am

Matt Quinn wrote:I have been reading about Edward Weston from the material Minniev has posted and now I don't know where my head is with all Weston's philosophy of photography. Too much soul searching is exhausting and bad for the soul. So here is a shot from last night and the sun eased its way down in the west and the clouds warned of what the night might bring. Comments welcome. Matt

Beautiful image Matt !!! A suggestion would be to have just a little more water at the bottom foreground, to have a leading line out to the boats and with a little less sky. I love dramatic skies so I would have difficulty losing some of it. On the other hand it would balance out the image or maybe a lower angled point of view (if possible) would eliminate the balance. Nice work !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks Dave. Coming from a tribune, that is high praise. I have a few others from that shoot and later today will post another if there is any merit in it. Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Mr. Chinn has valid points...a suggestion that may or may not improve would be to clone out the bow left and whole boat bottom right....love the mood an contrast of tones in this one Matt...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 am

Chatham sunset 5 (2 of 2).jpg
davechinn wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:I have been reading about Edward Weston from the material Minniev has posted and now I don't know where my head is with all Weston's philosophy of photography. Too much soul searching is exhausting and bad for the soul. So here is a shot from last night and the sun eased its way down in the west and the clouds warned of what the night might bring. Comments welcome. Matt

Beautiful image Matt !!! A suggestion would be to have just a little more water at the bottom foreground, to have a leading line out to the boats and with a little less sky. I love dramatic skies so I would have difficulty losing some of it. On the other hand it would balance out the image or maybe a lower angled point of view (if possible) would eliminate the balance. Nice work !!!
Dave

Dave,Steve,

Chatham sunset 5 (1 of 2).jpg
Here are two others from that shoot. I don't have anything with the leading lines in the original post. I don't know how to clone yet; on my to-do list. Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:36 am

You've lost or blown detail in the clouds...with such a bright sky I am left wondering what the subject really is here...I think step back re-think what you are trying to portray here and take a bit more time in pp Matt...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:06 am

Good advice. Will do. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:47 am

Hi Matt, These comments pertain mostly to the first image posted. I like that you chose an aperture that made the image sharp from the foreground all the way to infinity. The lighting is very moody and, to me, appealing in this image. I love the clouds which are dramatic and have a nice amount of contrast in them. I can understand that it might be confusing to pick a single subject here. I'm guessing that you intended the entire image to be your subject. I think that works quite well although I can see where it might be a problem for some viewers. I might suggest that you watch your edges. On the left side of the photo there are several boats cut in half that is a distraction. Careful cloning or spot healing would be a way of fixing that. Overall I think this is an excellent image. It grabs my attention and makes me spend time looking over the details.

I noticed in the last image posted that there was more water on the bottom. That does help the composition. Very nicely done Matt.
Erich

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 am

Matt, as I mentioned previously, I love dramatic skies and would have a difficult time eliminating one. After seeing your other images, I still favor the first, because the impact of the others is not as strong as your first. So IMO, I would either re-shoot (which the sky impact may not be there) or add some water to the bottom of the frame. I know you mentioned not being able to clone as of yet, but now may be a good time to practice with cloning and/or using layers. I know its difficult to absorb suggestions from all angles and you know what you like in an image. That would be the first requirement, but suggestions have helped me along the way and I'm sure it will for you as well. Hope this helps, and I do like the other images you posted, just not as much as your first.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:Hi Matt, These comments pertain mostly to the first image posted. I like that you chose an aperture that made the image sharp from the foreground all the way to infinity. The lighting is very moody and, to me, appealing in this image. I love the clouds which are dramatic and have a nice amount of contrast in them. I can understand that it might be confusing to pick a single subject here. I'm guessing that you intended the entire image to be your subject. I think that works quite well although I can see where it might be a problem for some viewers. I might suggest that you watch your edges. On the left side of the photo there are several boats cut in half that is a distraction. Careful cloning or spot healing would be a way of fixing that. Overall I think this is an excellent image. It grabs my attention and makes me spend time looking over the details.

I noticed in the last image posted that there was more water on the bottom. That does help the composition. Very nicely done Matt.
Erich

Thanks Erich. Yes, the whole scene was my subject. The small launch caught my eye as I was shooting but I couldn't set things up quickly enough as it was moving too fast and disappeared into the shadows of the other boats. Yes, yes, yes, I will have to learn cloning. I promise. Thanks for your advice and support. Matt
Matt Quinn