"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes Critique'All Along the Fence Line'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'All Along the Fence Line'

Post by davechinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Taken while in Red Lodge, Montana. Waiting for the sun to kiss the mountain tops. This is on the dark side and may be too dark for some. However, I see it as a dramatic image because of the lighting conditions where the light flows across the fence line. The star burst is all natural, no filters or software were used to create the burst. Suggestions? Does it work or not?
Dave
Attachments
All Along the Fence Line DEC_8767w.jpg
'All Along the Fence Line'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 am

I am making that silly deep-in-the-throat grunting total approval noise. I started making it the second I saw it. Does it work? Does it WORK??! :S :? :lol:

I can get all silly about leading lines and stuff, so I won't. Suffice to say that for me it is absolutely don't-change-a-single-thing perfect. (An aside, we loved Montana. Our "Kidz" went to UM Missoula, met there, married there, so we have a serious soft spot for Montana, plus Daphne was born in Wyoming, a real western gal.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:26 pm

IMG_0448.JPG
davechinn wrote:Taken while in Red Lodge, Montana. Waiting for the sun to kiss the mountain tops. This is on the dark side and may be too dark for some. However, I see it as a dramatic image because of the lighting conditions where the light flows across the fence line. The star burst is all natural, no filters or software were used to create the burst. Suggestions? Does it work or not?
Dave

Dave,
The breadth of your genre and styles is downright amazing!

This is breath-taking! I do think it can do with a scintilla of increased exposure if only to reveal a tad more context without distracting from your impeccable composition and inherent contrast.

Thanks for posting.
One can always do with inspiration such as this hits y'with like a brick! (That's a good thing....)

Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Definitely a "wow" image.

One small nitpick in sure people will agree and that's the headlong around that top rail.

Overall, a gorgeous image.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Agree with Duck about the haloing...nice Image Mr. Chinn..looks like a couple of dust spots by the sun.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:05 pm

this works for me too. I think it is awesome. I DO however want to see just a hint more of that next post almost over the hill. And just a small splash of additional light on the clouds perhaps and the grasses dead center. The way you have it.. I FEEL the strength of the light from the sun - I want to squint. I love the leading lines, but especially I like roaming across the grasses and visiting the clouds and mountains. There is something both soothing and jarring about the image, at the same time. It hurts to look into the sun, but you took the pain away is about the only way I can say it.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I am making that silly deep-in-the-throat grunting total approval noise. I started making it the second I saw it. Does it work? Does it WORK??! :S :? :lol:

I can get all silly about leading lines and stuff, so I won't. Suffice to say that for me it is absolutely don't-change-a-single-thing perfect. (An aside, we loved Montana. Our "Kidz" went to UM Missoula, met there, married there, so we have a serious soft spot for Montana, plus Daphne was born in Wyoming, a real western gal.)

Thank you for commenting Chuck !!! I can almost hear the excitement/tone in your descriptive response. I'm sure since the location was reveled, I would hope it brought back some happy memories for you.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:41 pm

uuglypher wrote:IMG_0448.JPG
davechinn wrote:Taken while in Red Lodge, Montana. Waiting for the sun to kiss the mountain tops. This is on the dark side and may be too dark for some. However, I see it as a dramatic image because of the lighting conditions where the light flows across the fence line. The star burst is all natural, no filters or software were used to create the burst. Suggestions? Does it work or not?
Dave

Dave,
The breadth of your genre and styles is downright amazing!

This is breath-taking! I do think it can do with a scintilla of increased exposure if only to reveal a tad more context without distracting from your impeccable composition and inherent contrast.

Thanks for posting.
One can always do with inspiration such as this hits y'with like a brick! (That's a good thing....)

Dave

Thanks Dave !!! I appreciate your thoughts and comments with this image. I also agree with you on the exposure, it should be bumped up some as you have done. Much better !!! Thanks again.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Duck wrote:Definitely a "wow" image.

One small nitpick in sure people will agree and that's the headlong around that top rail.

Overall, a gorgeous image.

Thank you Duck !!! Your thoughts are much appreciated. Not knowing for sure what you were referring to as a headlong, I can only assume it is either the haloing along the top rail, or the long nail at the bottom of the top rail, or both. Either way I have made corrections to both. Thanks for pointing it out.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Agree with Duck about the haloing...nice Image Mr. Chinn..looks like a couple of dust spots by the sun.

Thanks Frank !!! I appreciate your comments and agree about the haloing on the top rail. Although, I didn't see any dust spots, but do see lens flare. I'll look a little closer for those spots.
Dave

David Alan Harvey