"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Critic's CornerYosemite Falls

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Yosemite Falls

Postby St3v3M » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 am

I was challenged to take a second look at a photo I posted to another site several years ago and thought I'd post the before and after here.

I'm posting these for you to evaluate if my editing style has improved or gotten worse, but mostly to have you critique the Re-edit.
* The original is a slightly in-camera cropped version of the re-edit but was shot seconds after

This image means something to me, but I have thick skin and love to learn so please be brutally honest and say anything you want. S-
Attachments
thumb-img_9345.jpg
Original
IMG_9344-3m.jpg
Re-edit
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Graham Smith
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Yosemite Falls

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Steve, your second version is the one that grabs my attention and it's the one I would look at for a longer time, so yes, your pp'ing has come along in leaps and bounds.

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby minniev » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 pm

St3v3M wrote:I was challenged to take a second look at a photo I posted to another site several years ago and thought I'd post the before and after here.

I'm posting these for you to evaluate if my editing style has improved or gotten worse, but mostly to have you critique the Re-edit.
* The original is a slightly in-camera cropped version of the re-edit but was shot seconds after

This image means something to me, but I have thick skin and love to learn so please be brutally honest and say anything you want. S-

I am biased with this image because I saw the first version of it on the other site, before I knew you at all, and loved it the minute I saw it. It's an image that has stuck in my mind because of its beauty and the feeling it conveys, and that sense-of-place feeling overpowers any particular processing approach.

That said, I think your new version is much more polished, more detailed, and more professional. It lets me visually appreciate the valley and river as much as I appreciate the mountain and falls and sky. I agree with Graham that your journey into learning PP has been a huge step forward in getting your images in a final form that does them justice.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:27 pm

there are aspects to both that I like - do you still have the original? I can see why this is a favored spot.. The first has a magic and mood that draws me in. The second I like for the low hanging cloud study and the trees feel properly cold.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Similar to Piet's comment, I feel more "mood" with #1. For me it's because of the softness and lack of detail, which I find to be positive aspects of this scene: a gentle and dreamy feel.

I'm interested in Minnie's suggestion of #2 looking more "professional" and I'm going to infer that's because you've pp'd to bring out the details. From my amateur pov, your work is very well done, but the result is not memorable insofar as vision or originality.

For me these are two different images and have nothing to do with good/bad, improved/worse. You mention a personal connection to the photo and/or scene, so as is usually the case, the final story is your own to tell.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:13 pm

So far everyone has said what I would have said! It is a gorgeous, Painterly picture (I overuse the term but it fits so often). Having both open in tabs and toggling I can see much of what you did, starting with inputting camera and lens data (boooOOOooinggg), sharpening, color correcting (warm sun-kissed granodiorites, cold snow capped trees)... It's a wonderful picture and a wonderful job finishing it. I've been doing some of that lately myself, digging in the archives to see what I can do better. That to me is one of the best things about digital!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am

Graham Smith wrote:Steve, your second version is the one that grabs my attention and it's the one I would look at for a longer time, so yes, your pp'ing has come along in leaps and bounds.

Thank you so much! Your landscape work is incredible so this is quite the compliment. Thank you again! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:33 am

minniev wrote:I am biased with this image because I saw the first version of it on the other site, before I knew you at all, and loved it the minute I saw it. It's an image that has stuck in my mind because of its beauty and the feeling it conveys, and that sense-of-place feeling overpowers any particular processing approach.

That said, I think your new version is much more polished, more detailed, and more professional. It lets me visually appreciate the valley and river as much as I appreciate the mountain and falls and sky. I agree with Graham that your journey into learning PP has been a huge step forward in getting your images in a final form that does them justice.

It's been a long journey, but I'm blessed to have people push me, challenge me, and hold me too it. For that I thank you. Thank you all! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 am

PietFrancke wrote:there are aspects to both that I like - do you still have the original? I can see why this is a favored spot.. The first has a magic and mood that draws me in. The second I like for the low hanging cloud study and the trees feel properly cold.

Thank you so much! It's interesting you mention the first having a different mood than the second. I like them both, but I'm biased. Now it's about figuring out which I like more and why so I can keep it in mind for similar images and learn what works and what doesn't. Thank you for the help! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 am

LindaShorey wrote:Similar to Piet's comment, I feel more "mood" with #1. For me it's because of the softness and lack of detail, which I find to be positive aspects of this scene: a gentle and dreamy feel.

I'm interested in Minnie's suggestion of #2 looking more "professional" and I'm going to infer that's because you've pp'd to bring out the details. From my amateur pov, your work is very well done, but the result is not memorable insofar as vision or originality.

For me these are two different images and have nothing to do with good/bad, improved/worse. You mention a personal connection to the photo and/or scene, so as is usually the case, the final story is your own to tell.

Thank you for helping me see through your eyes. Looking at them again I see two stories, similar, but different. Now I'm not sure which I like better.

f you had to pick, one and one only, which would you choose? S-

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”