― Scapes CritiqueStair Fall

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Stair Fall

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

I was inspired to take this with the lines and shadows. Brutal honesty is best! S-
Attachments
IMG_9564-1f.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Interesting...
I love the symmetry of the overall image and I specially like the shadow from the rail being centered at the bottom of the stairs. Makes me think of a suitcase or attache case. Makes me wonder how it would look with an actual person holding the end of the rail just out of camera frame.
The overall crop is pleasant and there are no extraneous details or objects to distract the eye. My only criticism is that the processing is too pedestrian. This is an image we are all very familiar with and what you are asking the viewer to do is look at it from a different perspective or in a 'new light' as they say. Since the perspective isn't new and the scene isn't new the last thing in your control is the processing and that should be if not new, at least different or unexpected. How it should be presented isn't an easy answer as there are multiple ways to process an image. Some experimentation wouldn't hurt and is part of the learning process, specially in an early stage when you don't have a particular style or look to your images.

Try extremes (solarization, channel swapping, tinting, contrast adjustments, inversions, etc) in order to see how this image reacts to certain types of processing. Something just may pop out at you that's suitable for this image.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Duck wrote:Interesting...
I love the symmetry of the overall image and I specially like the shadow from the rail being centered at the bottom of the stairs. Makes me think of a suitcase or attache case. Makes me wonder how it would look with an actual person holding the end of the rail just out of camera frame.
The overall crop is pleasant and there are no extraneous details or objects to distract the eye. My only criticism is that the processing is too pedestrian. This is an image we are all very familiar with and what you are asking the viewer to do is look at it from a different perspective or in a 'new light' as they say. Since the perspective isn't new and the scene isn't new the last thing in your control is the processing and that should be if not new, at least different or unexpected. How it should be presented isn't an easy answer as there are multiple ways to process an image. Some experimentation wouldn't hurt and is part of the learning process, specially in an early stage when you don't have a particular style or look to your images.

Try extremes (solarization, channel swapping, tinting, contrast adjustments, inversions, etc) in order to see how this image reacts to certain types of processing. Something just may pop out at you that's suitable for this image.

This is something new to me, and your feedback is helpful, but I'm visual and wonder if you would mind showing me. S-
- Stair Fall

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:This is something new to me, and your feedback is helpful, but I'm visual and wonder if you would mind showing me. S-

Thanks for letting me play with your file. On first observation I immediately think black and white conversion so that's where I started. The first two are pretty straight forward but I tried to place more emphasis on the landing by toning down the brightness of the right hand wall. The second image increases the tonal difference and crops in tighter.
StairFall01.jpg
StairFall01.jpg (249.66 KiB) Viewed 427 times

StairFall02.jpg
StairFall02.jpg (263.96 KiB) Viewed 427 times

The next two images I play with contrast extremes with the second being an inversion of the first. I was trying for a yin-yang feel to the composition.
StairFall03a.jpg
StairFall03a.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 427 times

StairFall03b.jpg
StairFall03b.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Being so monochromatic, in this image I simply added color by utilizing split toning. It gave me "meh!" results so I abandoned that exploration.
StairFall04.jpg
StairFall04.jpg (326.88 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Here I am seeing if cropping in really tight can give me a different perspective. I feel this is worth some exploring as it reminds me of my old portfolio cases I used to haul around.
StairFall05.jpg
StairFall05.jpg (229.72 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Since these don't have a lot of color to begin with I really pushed to bring any color out. I used curves for a solarization effect (wave pattern on the curves tool) which gave me a very interesting look. I like this result and is worth further exploration.
StairFall06.jpg
StairFall06.jpg (421.18 KiB) Viewed 427 times

This last one was a culmination of all the exploring previously done. I really liked the polarized look above but I thought it may be too much with the rotation (who knows.) I kept to black and white and took the cropped in feel of the second image but rotated it 180 degrees for a change in perspective. So in all it is fairly normal post processing with just a simple rotation to give it that extra 'kick'.
StairFall07.jpg

Hope this gets some creative juices going for ya. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:42 pm

St3v3M wrote:I was inspired to take this with the lines and shadows. Brutal honesty is best! S-

It is interesting to me because I like geometry and shadows of same, and to me it's an image that was well worth stopping to take. I like that nothing quite matches, everything is a little off kilter which is unsettling to the eye enough to keep it roving to sort things out. And the central shadow makes you stop to figure out where that came from. I had to try my hand at it, two simply in lightroom and one taken into PS so I could slap a texture on it to see what might happen.

There is no end to what one can do with a simple stairwell when you add shadows or break down the components into smaller compositions or just process in new ways.

It's a fun shot to play with.Thanks for letting us.
Attachments
sm (41 of 1).jpg
sm (41 of 1)-2.jpg
sm3.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by rmalarz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm

St3v3, I really like this one. There is a classic appearance to it. The tonality is spot on.
--Bob
St3v3M wrote:I was inspired to take this with the lines and shadows. Brutal honesty is best! S-
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:59 am

WoW Steve takes photographs! ;-) I like your image Steve.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Duck wrote:
St3v3M wrote:This is something new to me, and your feedback is helpful, but I'm visual and wonder if you would mind showing me. S-

Thanks for letting me play with your file. On first observation I immediately think black and white conversion so that's where I started. ...
Hope this gets some creative juices going for ya. :thumbup:

It took me a few days to get back to this but I really appreciate all the time you spent on this! I like the split tone, but really like the color version!
- the flipped version hurts my head but it's fun you added it and will help me explore this more!

What this did most for me is give me a chance to see how other photographers see the same scene as I do. It would be even more fun to have us all shoot the same scene and process them, but this is the closest thing we have until we all book a pM Photo Walk together. Thank you again! I'll work on this more! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:54 pm

minniev wrote:It is interesting to me because I like geometry and shadows of same, and to me it's an image that was well worth stopping to take. I like that nothing quite matches, everything is a little off kilter which is unsettling to the eye enough to keep it roving to sort things out. And the central shadow makes you stop to figure out where that came from. I had to try my hand at it, two simply in lightroom and one taken into PS so I could slap a texture on it to see what might happen.

There is no end to what one can do with a simple stairwell when you add shadows or break down the components into smaller compositions or just process in new ways.

It's a fun shot to play with.Thanks for letting us.

I had about two hours while waiting for someone and gave myself the assignment to find something out of 'nothing,' but once I saw the shadow I knew.

I like the Lightroom version but wonder if it could be pushed further, almost to pure black and white, maxing out the tonalities. I really like the second, but wonder if it would be better to mirror it walking down from left to right. This is interesting and something I'll explore more! The third is my favorite, and when I finally learn to process I'll have to figure out this whole texture thing. I really like it! Thank you so much for adding your vision too, this really helps! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

rmalarz wrote:St3v3, I really like this one. There is a classic appearance to it. The tonality is spot on.
--Bob

Thank you so much Bob, it means a lot to know I'm on the right track! S-